Travel to Haiti

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Hello

We - three Europeans, one male two females - are planning a short trip to Haiti in December. Neither of us have been there before but we're all eager to go. Now I thought that maybe those of you who have visited Haiti have some experience or advice to share. I have gone through previous threads but I'm sure there's more.

We will go with CaribeTours from Santo Domingo to PaP. Hopefully, we'll be able to visit some other town to, like Cape Haitienne. We will not rent a car though.

Going back, I am wondering if there exists any alternative to Caribetours, which will let you of in Pedernales.

Thank you,

mne

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Thank you. Like I wrote in my request, though, I already have gone through previous threads on the subject. I was hoping for even more experiences, facts and advice. But nevermind....

The thread I think you're talking about, btw, was on how to find a certain route to Haiti and then it kind of slipped into a discussion on Haiti in general.

mne

KaliWeb

Nov 10, 2002
www.kaliweb.com
Port au Prince to Santo Domingo

I will be arriving in Port au Prince on November 26th and hope to catch a bus straight out to SD. My tix to PaP were free!
I will then return to PaP and catch a bus to Jacmel.. alot of people have said its really cool...
Anyone have any info on bus schedules etc??

Thanks in Advance!:alien:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
here are some great pics I found on the net, I did a search for Jacmel, Haiti definately worth a trip...
Jacmel
another site about Jacmel
jacemel info

We stayed in a small guest house, I can't remember the name it was not expensive compared to the hotel etc. Food was a bit expensive if you ate in restaurants. We as Peace Corps volunteers were on a tight budget to begin with.

On that note, where ever you travel to, in the DR or Haiti ask if there are Peace Corps volunteer (Cuerpo de Paz or Corps du Pa (sp?)) they are a wonderful resource on where to go and not get ripped off and still have a good time. And more than likely also know where the coldest beer is sold!

happy trails...wish I was there.

KaliWeb

Nov 10, 2002
www.kaliweb.com
:cool:
Thanks for tips..
I will be on a real tight budget.. How much was the guest house? Location? Name etc....
I'd like to take down some things to donate to an orphanage or a mission.. since I won't be checking any luggage.. my husband and I figure we will just use that room for things we can take down there to donate.

Would you happen to have any info on missions etc... that I may contact in advance. It would be great to have someone meet us at the airport to pick these packages up.

Thanks again... those photos of Jacmel are beautiful and It sure is cold in NYC right now.. can't wait...

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
i'll see if I can look back into my notes and pictures, I know there are a couple of orphanages in Jacmel, we were actually looking for someone, it all happened really by word of mouth. I know there is a large Haitian community in NY perhaps they would have some organizations that could be more useful.

I don't know about having someone pick you up etc. we had crossed the boarder from Jimani in the DR and just carried back packs.

KaliWeb

Nov 10, 2002
www.kaliweb.com
Ah.. you are right about a large Haitian Community in NY.. I was looking for someone to pick up the packages from the airport.

Any recommendations on Hotels in PaP.. cheap... did you check out the Oloffson? Will probably be spending one night in PaP.
How long did you stay in Haiti..Peace Corps eh?? ..my life long dream......one day fer sure... I will join... its pretty tough to get in these days...

Once you crossed the border in Jimani.. where did you go? The buses from PaP to Santo Domingo are $75 roundtrip.. kinda steep..

KaliWeb

Nov 10, 2002
www.kaliweb.com
Good News about my donation... I sent a ton of emails out to different missions etc.. and got a phone call today from a woman who referred me to someone who will meet me at the airport to pick up the packages.