cell phone activation?

bryan

Mar 9, 2002
Hello,

I have a samsung 3500 dual band phone that I had Sprint service with. I was wondering if I can have this phone activated in the DR with a local DR phone # and use the phone cards to buy minutes for it. Which company could I use (codetel,Orange,etc)and where would they be located in Puerto Plata?

Thanks,
Bryan

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
How about an old Motorola previously activated by VoiceStream, (now T-Mobile) or a Nokia 5120 presently activated by Cingular. Please pardon my great ignorance on this subject. I'm still trying to figure out how I can have a phone in DR to communicate in DR and to and from the USA.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If it is CDMA / PCS phone....

earosemena said:
How about an old Motorola previously activated by VoiceStream, (now T-Mobile) or a Nokia 5120 presently activated by Cingular. Please pardon my great ignorance on this subject. I'm still trying to figure out how I can have a phone in DR to communicate in DR and to and from the USA.

Which the large number of newer non GSM phones are, then you can activate in DR with Codetel. Theoretically if it is even operating on a US carrier now you can have a 2nd number activated and use the DR# in DR and the US # in US.

GSM phones are a different type of digital protocol, and in some cases Orange dealers can activate on Orange and you use their cards.

What's the confusion? If the old phone can be activated then bring it down, go to a cell dealer and there are lots, ask them to do it , set up a Codetel #, put say the first 100 RD$ on it and then you just dial 311 now and then, punch in the 12 digits on the calling card and it adds on to the balance.

If they cannot activate it then they cannot. Don't bother with ancient analog phones though, the service is dreadful at best.

BTW calling to the US with your new phone is not cheap - still better if you can take the time, go to a Codetel or other calling office, pay usually 3.9 RD$ to North America per minute. yes, they can be noisy and no, they are not always noisy and it is less than using up Codetel minutes. But for 1 or 2 minutes the cell is fine.

Finally, you can also just BUY a phone in DR - I bought a perfectly good Qualcomm 2760 digital, activated on Codetel for $100 US delivered to Boca Chica. I use that phone only in DR and my Toronto cell phone only in North America.

Recieves calls from Canada cery clear with call display working, has voice mail and was proven to work before I paid, so this is a 100% sure thing approach.

Call 1-809-427-0847 Charlie Shepard at Cellular SOS in Santo Domingo and buy the same phone. He's an American trying to make a go of a new venture.

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
ricktoronto:

I'll just take both and see what can be done. I'm just not that "hip" on cel technology. What is a GSM phone? What is digital protocol? And an analog phone? What is a CDMA/PCS phone? My thanks you for your contribution to my enlightening on the subject.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Cell Phones

earosemena said:
ricktoronto:

I'll just take both and see what can be done. I'm just not that "hip" on cel technology. What is a GSM phone? What is digital protocol? And an analog phone? What is a CDMA/PCS phone? My thanks you for your contribution to my enlightening on the subject.

GSM is just one language, CDMA is another. they are both digital. (like DSL vs. cable internet, or digital cable vs. satellite, just choices of protocols for the same basic thing)

Orange uses GSM only. Codetel uses CMDA only. Analog is those old phones more akin to a radio vs. a PCS, easily intercepted, interfered with and lousy range. Digital uses , well, digital technology, to compress the signal, fit more calls on one station, and make the sound clearer. Also adds features like call display with names and such.

If the phone weighs under 8 ounces it is probably digital. Dual and tri mode phones use digital ( sometimes several frequencies) and also in some cases will jump to analog if they cannot find a digital signal to use.

You can do 2 things, bring any you have and don't use in USA and try them out at a phone shop. If they are not able to be activated, toss 'em. Or, just buy a fresh one from Charlie or any shop, limiting your budget so you don't get a million features when all you want is the ability to receive calls in DR and make a few calls now and then.

I didn't even want to try to add #'s or convert so I just paid 100 clams and have one that is Codetel only, delivered working and tested before payment.

bryan

Mar 9, 2002
Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try to get it activated at codetel. Does anybody know where Codetel is in Puerto Plata? I know there is one in Playa Dorado but the don't activate the phones there.

Thanks,
Bryan

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
phone activation

bryan said:
Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I am going to try to get it activated at codetel. Does anybody know where Codetel is in Puerto Plata? I know there is one in Playa Dorado but the don't activate the phones there.

Thanks,
Bryan

I always dealt with Jens or Hauke at the Orange shop in Sosua rather than going to PP. No lines to deal with, and I didn't have to venture into PP. There is a Codetel office in Sosua also...the town is small enough you should be able to just ask.

I know I didn't answer your actual question, but ...

*sigh*
marc

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
earosemena said:

T-mobile is same technology as Orange in the DR.

5120 is TDMA which is useless as tits on a bull in the DR.

You can buy phone cards from Orange to use the Motorola but have to pay for activation. You will need the lock code so try and get it from your old company and you will have to buy a Orange chip in the DR.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
codetel and tricom office are on calle 27 de febrero in puerto plata.
I suggest try turning your cel phone on with centenial. Much cheaper and less than 2 pesos / min on weekends.
They also use the same phones as codetel and tricom uses CDMA/PCS digital.

bryan

Mar 9, 2002
Hello.

If I can't remember my lock code for the phone will that be a problem in activating it? I haven't used the phone in about 15 months and don't know if I can find the code.

Thanks,
Bryan

nycguy7077

Oct 13, 2002
Hi All, Im new to the board but not new to the DR, been going there since 1988. For most of my trips, I never felt a need for a cell phone. But now, I have so many friends there that on my next trip a cell is a must. My question is....?
Can someone please rank or gauge the services, Tricom, Codetel and Orange. I thought about bringing a few old phones down, but my expat buddy mentioned its so much easier just to buy one down there. He stated that you can go to any Orange shop, buy a brand new phone with the chip already in it, they wave activation fee since the chips already there, buy a few cards, charge it up, and you are set to go. The cost of the phone is only slightly more then NYC prices and my old NYC cells are too abused, I want a new one exclusively for the DR. Is Orange highly regarded? They sure advertise enough. You cant go anywhere in the DR w/out seeing a million Orange signs. Is Tricom or Codetel rated highly? Can you buy a phone, activation and a 500 peso card for 150 US dollars, ready to go from the other services? Thanks in advance!!!!

nycguy7077

Oct 13, 2002
Was it something I said? Just wanted a ranking of the major cell phone service providers in the DR. From best to worst, Codetel, Tricom, Orange. How would you rank them? Please....

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
There are no shortage of posts on this topic

nycguy7077 said:
Was it something I said? Just wanted a ranking of the major cell phone service providers in the DR. From best to worst, Codetel, Tricom, Orange. How would you rank them? Please....

If you searched first. Plus there is a fair amount of dialogue already in this thread.

Codetel is "the" phone company ( e.g. they have the wired phones too what there are of them) and lots of people use Codetel for that reason since they have pretty good service and since there is a lot of Codetel use the calls to Codetel phones are cheaper than to others.

I have heard little about people actually using Tricom and Orange is the new player and the phones are cheap - but more expensive to call if you are using a Codetel phone.

You are not moving there as I recall, so really for casual use the cheapest option is to bring a couple of digital phones with you - go to a phone shop vs. Codetel and see if they can convert it for you and then get you a number.

Otherwise do what I did and buy a new or used phone with whatever provider you want - I have a Codetel PCS phone ( I live in Canada so it is my travel phone) because everyone I know or call in DR uses a Codetel wireless or they have a wired phone in their house or business.

I paid US$100 for the phone , charger, activation and delivery to my hotel. the signal is fine, I get through 99% of the time. For a +/- $100 expenditure it is so minor an issue, it matters little. Whatever you want to buy will likely be adequate.

nycguy7077

Oct 13, 2002
Hi Rick,
I did check the archives using "codetel, tricom and orange" as search words, but I found little. Most of this thread is devoted to the brand of specific cell phones that work best, digital vs analog. But there was little on rating the 3 services for cell phones. Last time I was in the DR, a friend lent me a spare cellphone that was already activated, I just had to buy the cards. The service was Tricom which I found to be decent, but there were some dead spots. My next trip, in 2 weeks, I will buy a cell down there this way I dont have to worry about the lock codes or compatability. I have friends down in the DR that use Orange, and they are somewhat satisfied. I was looking for an objective and current opinion on which of the 3 services to go with. Which service has the least dead spots, etc. The Nokia I used with Tricom service was fine, but like I mentioned before, there were many dead spots. I thought perhaps, that Orange being a new kid on the block would be more advanced. Everyone I know down there cursed Codetel, LOL. But like I said, sometimes its hard to get objectivity or fair comparison. Your thoughts.......
nycguy7077

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Definite Rating System

From the latest El Consumer-o Reports-o magazine, DR Edition:

Codetel: 89.15772/100
Tricom 0.00002/100
Orange 0.00001/100

Now go and getcherself a Codetel phone for $100 clams and you are set, and no guilt as to the decision.

Stick with digital and dead spots are unlikely - use the "0" rated phones and it will also rain chickens on your head and they hurt a lot. Fair warning. Plus dead spots intermittently every other meter.

You can call Charlie Shepherd at SOS Cellular at 1-809-427-0847 and if you are staying near the capital he'll deliver it already set up.

For a $100 decision, this is the best bet and your head will be safe from chicken scratches etc.