alternative inexpensive means of transportation

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
Hi there,
I must say this board has provided a wealth of information and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts. In January we will be staying at the Occidental Grand Flamenco near Puerto Plata. Is there an alternative inexpensive means of transportation from the hotel to P.P., other than a taxi?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you want to go from the entrance of your hotel to the entrance of the terminal, there is probably no option. But depending on where the hotel is located, and if you are able to do some walking with your luggage, then it could be possible to save some money.

Is the hotel off the highway between Puerto Plata and the airport? If so, are you able to walk to the highway with your luggage. If the answer to both questions is yes, I can tell you how to save money for getting to the airport.

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
Ken,
We do have transportation from the airport. What I mean is transportation between the hotel and downtown pop. Are there any buses traveling this route?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Assuming hotel on highway between airport and the city, walk to the highway. You will then have two options, what we call a guagua, which is a van that generally has a pretty full load. Instead of the guagua, I'd suggest using what we call the Publico. These are cars with a red sign on the roof that says (in abbreviated form) Puerto Plata-Sosua. These will be the only cars that come by that have a red sign on the roof. Not sure of the rate since not sure where hotel is located, but give the driver (publico) or collector (guagua) R$10/person when you get out.

The guagua will automatically take you to the Central Park in Puerto Plata, tell the publico driver you want to go to Parque Central.

When you want to return to the hotel, you can take either the guagua or publico. The guagua leaves from the park, the publicos pass by the park along the side closest to the direction your hotel is from Puerto Plata. Again, I wouldn't ask how much it is. Just give RD$10/person.

Best to have exact change, otherwise you are likely to end up paying more unless you speak pretty fair Spanish and can act like you know what is going on.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J. said:
I think you meant Puerto Plata - not Sosua...

Thanks Jane, you're right. I made the correction.

Boh, for your information you can use the same vehicle to take you to Sosua. If you hotel is on the ocean side of the road, you stand in front of the hotel property to get to Puerto Plata and cross the road to get to Sosua. If you take the guagua, you can get off when it passes by Sosua, or you can stay on and take it to Cabarete. The publicos with the red box on top only go to Sosua, but very near where the publico drops you off are cars with blue boxes on top that you can take to Cabarete or beyond. Cabarete is the town beyond Sosua and is also worth a visit.

Standing in front of your hotel property along side the road, chances are the publicos and guaguas will toot their horn to ask you if you want to be picked up. But you can always wave your hand when you see one coming. Unless it is full, you can be sure it will stop. If your schedule permirts, try to see all three: Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete. They are very different from each other and all deserve a visit.

If you go to Cabarete, then you can either take the guagua all the way to your hotel, or take the publico to Sosua, then switch to the car with the red box on top. In either, when you get to the hotel entrance tell the driver to stop.

By using public transportation you can see a lot of the north coast without spending very much money.

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Occidental Gran Flamenco is in the Playa Dorada complex of 14 hotels. To get to the main road where the Gua-guas & piblicos run, you will have a 10 minute walk (take it easy in the sun to start with!!). For Puerto Plata stay on the 'complex' side of the road, for Sosua & Cabarete go on to the far side of the road.

Ken is absolutely right with his info re "Have the right change" - these 'conductors??' never have change for foreigners!!!! DON'T need to take a guide into town, you can do it on your own & VERY safely!! It is NOT dangerous as most tour reps & guides at the gate try to indicate that it is!! If you know some Spanish words, so much the better - just keep smiling, be confident (as though you live here) HIDE that BL^^dy hotel wrist band (put a watch over it, cover it with your own, wider wrist band or find a way to take it off & then reconnect it when you get back to the hotel).

DON'T take more money than you are likely to need for the day, take off ALL expensive jewellery & look as destitute as possible. Then you won't get hassled by every guide in the area!! "No Huy Dinero" (I don't have any money) works a treat if said with sincerity & a smile!!!

Oh, by the way, ..... IF you got worried on the way in & want to get a taxi back, ...... get yourself a Techni-taxi to take you back to your hotel. They have a fixed rate from Puerto Plata (I THINK about RD $50), can now go into the complex to drop people off & they are much cheaper than the hotel taxis. Regrettably they are not allowed to pick-up from the hotels!!

Good luck & enjoy the hols!! - Grahame.

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
Last year we stayed at Paraiso Del Sol just outside of Cabarete. We managed to see a little of Puerte Plata, some of Sosua and spent a fair bit of time in Cabarete. This will be our third trip to the D.R. Our first trip was to the south end at Boca Chica and Santo Domingo. My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed our vacations on the Island. We have found the local community to very friendly and helpful. Thank you all for the information it will be very helpful.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
From Playa Dorada you walk to the front gate,there you will find busses with an A or a B they are much more comfy than gua guas or publicos 5 pesos they go to central park.