All-time bachata favorite?

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
A lot of people have forgotten that bachata used to be considered a lower form of music, forever relegated to "billoneras" en los cafetines, and only played by Radio Guarachita (Remember, Hillbilly). However, since it has finally made the leap to the mainstream, would you recall which bachata tune had you weeping with delight?
Golo need not apply, since he hates bachata, and probably idolizes talentless Enrique Iglesias. Just kidding.
Golo, you could tell us which tune you hated the most.

Hillbilly, please use "Voy Pa'll?", by Antony Santos, or "Bachata Rosa", by you-know-who, as the beginning parameters; no need to go way back to Rafael Paniagua.

Warning: "Obsesi?n" is NOT the first bachata hit EVER.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hey Joseito "Mateo"

I am not going to give you the pleasure of staying out of this one, but there are two kinds of bachata. There is bachata fina and bachata popular. Bachata fina is what Juan Luis Guerra would do. People in the barrios would not get caught dead listening to that boring crap by 440. Bachata popular is the stuff that really sells and is all over the place. So I am only going to consider bachata popular. The other one is as dead as Balaguer.

Like it or not, Obsesion can't stay out of this. It is by far the most popular bachata song ever. Even after many, many months in radio play and record shops it continues to dominate the market like no other song.

Since I am not into bachata I don't know any better, but I am right on this one.

As to your friend Enrique Iglesias...I would rather listen to 24 hours of bachata and not one of his songs in Spanish. Enrique got lucky. He got a superb arrangement and fine engineering into one of his songs, and I actually like it. It is not his fault it is that good. The name of the song is "I don't know why I love to see you cry" in English. He ought to be thankful for technology and good writing.

TW

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
I'd like to be original, but...

...Anthony Santos' "Voy Pa' Alla" is my all-time heartbreaker, and anything by Luis Segura!

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Se?or Golo,

I was not going to add my favorite yet, but when you referred to Enrique Iglesias as my friend, I just had to defend myself.
And here it goes: I have not, and WILL not EVER watch/listen/buy anything by Enrique Iglesias. His attempts at being grungy and "cool" are not even funny. He makes Barry Manilow look super duper cool. And Manilow is so square that he is actualy likable. But Enrique.....no way, not here, not ever.
And if you refer to him as my friend one more time, I will persuade my cousins from Capotillo to relocate to Piantini, and there goes the neighborhood.

And now my very favorite bachata has to be "Nereida", by Raul?n Rodr?guez, with "Voy Pa'll?", by Antony Santos, running a close second. To?o Rosario had a big hit a few years ago, which was written by Joe Veras, but I forgot its tittle.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Voy Pa'lla....I. Love. That. Song.

I remember when I thought all bachata sucked, having only Teodoro El Siego De Nagua as my reference. It all changed for me one X-mas (was it '96?) with that Luis Vargas album I adored. The one with Veneno on it? Ya.

Another turning point for me was Medicina de Amor. I was like, "Wow, bachata doesn't suck so hard after all!"

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I have a favorite bachata song, but I don't know if it's by the original singer or just a newer version...

Wilbert Manuel "Gastarte a besos"... THIS HAS THE BEST LYRICS I'VE EVER HEARD!!!

Of course, "Voy pa'lla"..."Que vuelva"..."Por tu amor" (la canci?n del perrito) de Joe Veras...anything by Yoskar Sarante, Zacar?as Ferreira...but of course, I've just started listening to bachata...in May of 2001 to be exact...my first trip to DR!!! I'll never forget!!!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I'll say my current faves:
Tu Sabes Bien by Elvis Martinez (beautiful song)
La Loca by El Mezclador
Guitarra by Yoskar Sarante
and of course Monchy y Alexandra and anything by Aventura ;)

THere are just so many!!!!!! Hee, hee...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I don't know much about bachata but the first thing I remember was Zacharias Ferraria (spelt wrong I'm sure) and he sang a song about loving his car. Its one of the first songs where I understood some of the words.
But I have to go with Juan Luis Guerrera. Is Chichi in this group? Some of his songs made me cry for this country when I was in USA. I could feel this place in his words. And Milly Quisada (spelt wrong too). Liked her bachata CD.
But I'm not an expert remember. Dominicana Gringa and not too knowledgable on all this stuff.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Jan

You sure missed the boat on this one. Juan Luis Guerra(I need a CD that sells..for god's sake), Chichi (Perra-alta)Peralta and Milly(I need attention 'cause I'm as old as Celia and my latest surgery couldn't hide the fat and now I was crowned Merengue Queen, but without a kingdom by King of Rag and Poor Taste Corporan) are not bachata singers....holy cow!!

Don't you know the difference between bachata and merengue? and that garbage fusion from Chichi? And that Miami Sound Machine sound of JLG, so outdated even the Egyptians don't dance it anymore?

TW

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I know I'm going to get beat up over this one, but I love Enamorado de Ti by Antony Santos. And who doesn't love Voy Pa'lla...that's gotta be the winner! There was one, as well, called Adios (I think by Zacharias Ferreira) that's another all-time favorite.

Last edited:

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
This is really going to hurt...

...but while "Osesi?n" is a very nice tune, a true bachat? will not consider it a classic. Aventura is to bachata what Jerry Rivera is to salsa: bubblegum. Aventura is ying to Luis Varga's yang. A real bachat? knows that Luis Vargas is the undisputed bachata god, and Antony Santos is one of the angels.
Clue for the non-Dominicans: real bachateros have a rough edge, not very good-looking, but can really write some tear-jerkers.

Apr 26, 2002
Classic Bachata

Available as cassettes, covered in dust, at your favorite paradas:

Barahona's own Juan Batista.
Mao's own Eladio Romero Santos.

Check 'em out.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Joseito: I couldn't have said it better. I downloaded this obsesion tune the other day to hear what all the fuss was about, and I did not care for it at all. Granted that normally you have to listen to a song many times before you start really liking it, but still it is not my type. I'm more old school when it comes to Bachata (Luis Segura, Rafael Encarnacion, Marino Perez, etc.) Those guys really know how to sing songs you can get really drunk to, while reminiscing abou lost loves, etc... That's why the genre was called 'Amargue". I think some of the newer guys (Elvis Martinez, Yoskar, Zacarias) are awsome. My grandma used to be a huge fan of Eladio Romero Santos.

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Suarezn,

Rafael Encarnaci?m, Luis Segura, Leonardo Paniagua, L. Vargas, A. Santos and a few others really belong in the Bachata Hall of Fame. They are the true gods of bachatadom.
Aventura gets a lot of airplay due to the "payola". The same could be said for Elvis Crespo and his brand of merengue. Sony Disco gets Crespo to appear on Letterman's, but is he really a good merenguero? Not here, not ever. Man, Antony Santos could rock the Ed Sullivan theater if invited!
Aventura appeals to young teenage girls--and to Golo--and that's it; they are to bachata what the Dixie Chicks are to real Country & Western: bubblegum.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Am watching Aventura on TV right now. They look more like home boys from NY than Dominicans! Very disapointed. Theyer music is good but I just hate that Ny homie hand movement. And the "mack" that followes. Can't they sing without the NY nigga look?
No prejudice intended but never liked the homie kinda thang!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Jan

That N.Y. look is the thing that island bachata bands will have to follow to compete in the new order of music. Watch for instance a new program on Telemundo every night at 8p.m. called "The Roof" and you will see that Aventura's obsession is the #1 Video in the R&B, Hip-Hop,Latin chart at this TV station. This station is seen all over the major cities in the U.S. and is killing everybody in DR. Their ratings are way over Dominican TV stations.

Now if you compare, you take some of the hottest DR bachatuses and they have the same modern look. Frank Reyes is one sharp dude who looks more like a LLCoolJ than a bachata singer. El Gringo de La Bachata is pretty N.Y. himself. So all the new upcoming guys are not going to look like El Cieguito de Nagua. I guarantee you that. That old looks doesn't sell anymore.

Even Merengue singers are getting weirder. The most popular and best selling guys, like To?o, Tulile, Malafe, and De La Olla are our "Kiss" look alikes. How weird can you get?

TW

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
I was suprised that Golo had agreed that Aventura didn't fit the chopo category in a previous post. Have you heard them sing that NSYNC wanna be song "Gone"? If you look on their latest CD the lyrics are said to be written by "Justin Timberlave" they even spelled his name wrong. The Spanglish songs they do don't impress me at all. Especially Cuando Volveras. "when ya gonna come back, boo" :eek:

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
There's nothing funnier as when Aventura does an English version of "Obsesi?n". Their CD cover is as ridiculous as Grupo Mania's and E. Iglesias's CD covers. Jesus, who's photographing them?
Their attempt at Spanglishizing bachata results in a new genre called "batrasha". They are the patron saint of Gololand.

Jose?to
The Duke of Earl