re: Should Hippo cut down on foreign visits?

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
re: Should Hippo cut down on foreign visits?

Is it unfair to criticize Hipolito Mejia for making visits to the U.S., Canada, Europe, and the Far East so frequently? I understand that President Bush makes frequent trips, but for Hipolito as President of a 3rd world country that has paralyzing power and poverty problems, do you think he should drastically reduce his globe trotting. Furthermore, does anyone think that Mejia's frequent office chats with Prime Ministers, Emperors, and other Presidents of the world is a attempt to gain more respect in his own country, for which he may perceive is a lack thereof?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think that Hippo makes more trips than Bush does. But then he has more to "escape" from than does Bush.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
kingofdice said:
Is it unfair to criticize Hipolito Mejia for making visits to the U.S., Canada, Europe, and the Far East so frequently? I understand that President Bush makes frequent trips, but for Hipolito as President of a 3rd world country that has paralyzing power and poverty problems, do you think he should drastically reduce his globe trotting. Furthermore, does anyone think that Mejia's frequent office chats with Prime Ministers, Emperors, and other Presidents of the world is a attempt to gain more respect in his own country, for which he may perceive is a lack thereof?
The irony of it all is, king, that prior to being elected Hipo severely criticized Leonel for making so many foreign trips instead of spending time at home addressing his countries problems, but Hipo has actually traveled far more than Leonel. And some of his trips make no sense whatsoever -- for example, traveling to Argentina to examine whether or not the DR should start a nuclear power program along the Argentine model????
Regards,
Keith

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Change of Governent?

Just a thought, do you suspect while El Presidente is away on one of his trips there will be an unscheduled change of government here and all his and his segunda's credit card privilages will be revoked? Regards, PJT

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Keith, it was probably a drug run...

I like to refer to Hipolito's trips as "making the begging rounds". On this trip to Japan alone, look at what Hipolito hopes to score:

USD$70-miilion for rice production project
USD$10-million for reforestation
USD$48-million loan for Santiago sewers
USD$25-million for Sto Dgo gully situation
USD$27-million for a fishing feasibility study

And on and on and on....He has a total of $400 MIL riding on this trip alone - why would he stop?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I think when everything comes out in the wash you will find that Hippo is opening bank accounts in every place he can.It is no longer safe to hide $$$$ offshore and in Switzerland so the mentality has become stuff your cash in as many locations as possible and hope they dont find it all.
J.H.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Maybe some us are being too critical of Hipolito. After all, he is only following centuries old traditions of developing world leadership. Also, he gets away with nothing more than what the Americans permit. On the other hand, none of this excuses the growing list of abuses.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Yes Jane,...Hipolito's trips abroad are primarily well-orchestrated begging rounds. What hypocrisy that Mejia criticized former president Fernandez for taking foreign trips abroad. I think Hipo needs to curtail the globetrotting and concern himself with the escalating peso devaluation and other internal problems of the country. I was taught that when you receive a loan, you have to pay the money back. I guess Mejia thinks that all these public works will keep him enamored with the Dominican population. But I have to agree with Pedro Silverio's comment (DR1 News) that the public has a general distrust of the government's economic policies. With out-of-control government spending and lack of fiscal discipline, public confidence has been eroded, fueling an increased demand in U.S. dollars. Hipolito should be at home, pledging to stop foreign borrowing and placing of more soverign bonds. Hipolito is likeable. He is probably a good man with good intentions. But, "the road to hell is paved full of men with good intentions". Hipolito needs to get out of his private jet and properly manage the finances of D.R.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
He is probably a good man with good intentions.
And THAT is where you and I go our separate ways, dicey.

I would have no problem with these official visits if it could be guaranteed that the funds collected would be put to the use for which they were marked, instead of lining the pockets of Hipolito and his band of merry functionaries, who shall be henceforth referred to collectively as "The Pigs".

If The Pigs could remove their extremely large heads from their extremely large asses for one small moment and realize they are on the fast-track to disaster, they could spare us all a lot of agony.

Frankly, I am surprised that Hipolito (or anyone else) would choose to run in 2004 because of the gargantuan financial mess that will await. But I digress...

Last edited:

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
I agree very much Jane. Hipolito probably has secret ways of siphoning some of the dinero that is given to the D.R. by foreign governments. Most likely by corrupt officials in the country, that will make sure the Pres. gets his kickback and payoff for steering some public work projects their way. Fishing Projects? Jeso flip, the country needs many things. Look at the transporation problem in Santo Domingo. You can't get from one side of the city to the next without choking on carbon monoxide fumes.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
JH

JOHNNY HONDA said:
I think when everything comes out in the wash you will find that Hippo is opening bank accounts in every place he can.It is no longer safe to hide $$$$ offshore and in Switzerland so the mentality has become stuff your cash in as many locations as possible and hope they dont find it all.
J.H.

According to Garrett Sutton, One of Rich Dad's Advisors,
the best current strategy (for the wealthy) is segregation of assets. Maybe HM is doing alot of reading, as well.
But then again why should HM be different from other
politicians who believe public service begins with themselves
being served first.

M

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
With todays news reports maybe he shouldn't be allowed to make foreign visits at all!!
Surely it won't be long before foreign leaders start telling him NOT to come!!

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Yeah, MommC...I couldn't believe what I was reading either. The President of the Dominican Republic and his entourage engaged in drinking contests with the Taiwanese. Guess that Dominican Ambassador, Miguel Hernandez got sloppy drunk and spilled a drink on Hipolito, haha. Good grief.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
On face value, you have to wonder where the Presidente's values are. He has a corrupt court about him, ie Pepe, who had been stealing the country blind and Hippo was looking the other way. Someone else had to pull the plug on Pepe. Then, he has an ambassador involved in a drinking contest, the ambassador gets sacked by El Presidente. Best advice to Dominican ambassadors is do not promote a presidencial visit to your host country, keep Hippo home. Regards, PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Marines have landed!

It won't be long now! The Marines will protect American Citizens until the Dominican Armed Forces restore "order",and a Military "Junta" will run things until new elections are held!Stock up on beans,rice,and cooking oil.I bet "Con Ed" can run the power grid!Cris

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
kingofdice said:
Yeah, MommC...I couldn't believe what I was reading either. The President of the Dominican Republic and his entourage engaged in drinking contests with the Taiwanese. Guess that Dominican Ambassador, Miguel Hernandez got sloppy drunk and spilled a drink on Hipolito, haha. Good grief.

To the President's credit, he told his hosts that he would toast with water.

S

SDecatur

Re: The Marines have landed!

Criss Colon said:
It won't be long now! The Marines will protect American Citizens until the Dominican Armed Forces restore "order",and a Military "Junta" will run things until new elections are held!Stock up on beans,rice,and cooking oil.I bet "Con Ed" can run the power grid!Cris

Cris

Never mind the Marines, for 'some reason" (It could be Iraq, but a certain O-7 doesn't think so) there has been an unprecedented mobilization of the 101st Air Assault and they are not carrying cold weather gear! Could be 1, 2 or even 3 araes they may be headed for in the southern Hemisphere. There has also been reports of a group sized MEU sailing South.

Exercises maybe?

L

leonardo1267

We all know where the money Hippo is borrowing will end, it will end in the pockets of the government henchmen, people without any education that already have vast richness. It is a pitty that most Dominicans don't have the knowledge and the education to see this truth.