Saman? -> Jarabacoa ?

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
Hello

Does anyone know how to get from Saman? to Jarabacoa with public transportation?

Thanks!

mne

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is a public bus (not Caribe Tour or Metro) that leaves in the morning for Santiago. Someone in Samana can tell you where to get it and what time it leaves. It departs from the street in front of the Farmers' Market, but makes a pass through town before doing so. It has a sign that says Santiago. Take it to La Vega and get transport from there. There are guaguas. You might also check with the Caribe Tour office in Samana to see if they can tell you whether there is a Caribe Tour bus to Jarabacoa from either La Vega or Santiago.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
After writing the above, I checked and learned there is a Caribe Tour terminal in Jarabacoa and that there are buses leaving Santo Domingo for Jarabacoa at 7 and 10 in the morning and 1:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon. Since these buses pass through La Vega, you should be able to get a bus to Jarabacoa from the the La Vega terminal about 2 hours after it departs from Santo Domingo.

The Caribe Tour terminal is on the outskirts of La Vega, the bus from Samana will pass by it. You should tell the driver you want to get off at the Caribe Tour terminal in La Vega.

If you will also need to return to Samana from Jarabacoa, let me know. It will be a little more complicated, but it is doable in public transportation.

It has been about 5 years since I last took the public bus from Samana to La Vega/Santiago, but up until then it was leaving from the Farmers' Market about 7 am in the morning. I would think it would be about the same today. There is also a public bus leaving Samana for Santiago about 1 pm, but I would think you would prefer to go in the morning because this will permit you to travel from La Vega in a comfortable bus instead of a crowded, frequently-stopping guagua.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
guagua vs Caribe Tours

Caribe Tours is also more "official", and you will not be overcharged with a "tourist" price.

m

mne01

Sep 5, 2002
sanchez?

Thank you very much for your help!

When I wrote Saman?, I was referring to the Peninsula in general. Will the buses you mention all pass through Sanchez too, or do we have to get from Las Terrenas to Saman? city?
Ken, we don't need to go back. We'll take the CT from Jarabacoa to SD.

regards,

mne

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, the bus passes through Sanchez. There will be a vehicle there to take you to Las Terrenas. Don't be surprised if it is a pickup truck. You will go on the mountain road; very, very scenic. But lots of hairpin turns.