VIVA Airlines new Dominican/Puerto Rico Airline

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Startup carrier Viva Airlines plans to launch flights from its Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic base based in Santiago, DR in the first quarter of 2003. It appears that destinations in the Dominican Republic

Santo Domingo (SDQ)
Santiago
Punta Cana

and Puerto Rico

Aguadilla
Ponce
San Juan

to the following destinations worldwide

<option>Cancun</option>
<option>Chicago</option>
<option>Havana</option>
<option>Madrid</option>
<option>Mexico City</option>
<option>Miami</option>
<option>New York</option>
<option>Orlando</option>
<option>Rome</option>

US flights will be operated by Falcon Air Express on a wet-lease agreement.

Kind of aircrafts is not reported.

Cristian Garcia
http://www.vivaairlines.com

VIVA Dominicana (Santiago)
VIVA Puerto Rico (San Juan)

FLIGHTS.jpg

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
This is very good news. Do you know what types of introductory airfares we should expect to pay in the beginning?

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
im sorry i cant tell you, i think it will be cheap fares (whats cheap?)
low costs.

Viva Airlines is based in Santiago (and maybe Santo Domingo)for VIVA DOMINICANA end for VIVA PUERTO RICO in Aguadilla, PR and maybe San Juan, PR

Jan 1, 2002
Viva group.

yeah tambien son due?os de.

Viva Resorts ( Bayahibe )
Viva, Telemedios Dominicana S.A. ( Canal 25, Santiago )
Diario Viva Puerto Rico ( periodicos )

and others company

latinaviation

Jan 6, 2002
Stanley,

This is not the Viva company in the DR. Viva Airlines is based in Michigan and no relation to the Viva Dominicus Resort.

Brian

Jeff Collins

Dec 12, 2002
Viva Air

Aviastar, why do you believe Viva will not be able to operate and that it is a myth? What does SDQ-MAD represent?

Appreciate your opinion,
Jeff

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
SDQ-MAD is Santo Domingo/Madrid route

Who will fly to Madrid on Viva? What they'll use for this route. I am a professional in airline industry, we have Iberia, Air Europa on that route. Air France offer connections to Europe. Not a single european passenger will use unknown airline. This route has daily flights, so they must fly on daily basis. Remember that their operational cost is gonna be higher that Iberia's or Air Europa's. This is complicated. The same will happen on other routes. Now we live in the era of world allinaces, remember that 80% of passengers are members of alliances like One World, Sky Team, Star, etc. People are connected to their carriers, they need miles. So as you see no chance for that airline.

Remember what happenes with Aeromar's plans to serve Madrid, where is that B 747 they had once? So!

Airline industry is established now, so no expiriments needed.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Viva Airlines

Ok, your are right, but it isnt AEROMAR foult on the route to MAD becuase some airworthniss licence something was rejected.

But Aeromar will start again to Madrid and Paris CDG, but the most important is North America, Latin and South America then they will fly to MAD and CDG. The passengers can use transfer at SDQ to another Aeroma flight, so SDQ is the connection to Europe from the Caribbean.

The same to MEXICANA they will fly the first flight to Europe from Santo Domingo. They have owned 3 gates of the new terminal.
Only waiting is the launch of the new terminal and runway.

Viva Airlines owner (the Auxer group) is not stupid they have their money and know what they doing in the aviation world.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Show me the passenger who desires to fly on Aeromar from Paris? French people will always fly on AF, and AF's fares are the lowest, so what's the point?

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Aeromar

Air France is never full with French passengers, more foreigners.

Aeromar will introduce cheap fares as Air France for Competence, and they start from 1 flight a week or more to get more Passengers demand and Image in Europe.

It will be sure SDQ-MAD with stop at PUJ the same route on CDG.
in B747-200 or in B767

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Ok, my boy.

Now prove me how the airline with 1 weekly flight will defeat 2 spanish carriers with daily flights? Ever wondered why big airline always survives, because it doesn't have to make money from one route, if today Iberia has no money from SDQ MAD because of the fare war against BQ they will not go to bankrupcy, they have hundreds other destinations, so. What I was saying is: european travellers will not prefer unknwn carrier, if there is Iberia, Air Europa and BQ what will they use. And please don;t talk about cheap flights, ok. Air Europa has the cheapest fare here, once BQ goes to MAD their fares will go even lower.

Let's just wait, what will happen to BQ's transatlantic flights, will they fly for free? They should generate money to pay their leased planes, while Air France is using 747 on SDQ PAR which is like 20 years old and ????????????

Sorry, but I aviation is my industry, economy of airlines is my profession, so I know what I am talking about. Think about that:
it ended just like I predicted before it started.
APA
Air Atlantic
Queen Air
Mexicana's flights to SDQ
Pan AM
Air Santo DOmingo's plans to expand
Aerocontinente

Remember that if tomorrow Delta will come here, they'll survive, they have fame, money, passengers, hubs, alliances and they don't have to male money on a new route at once. The first year is to promote the route. Ever wondered how much money US Airways lost in here, check that! But that big company can do that.

And remember, one flight per week Vs daily flight in other carrier on the same route IS A BIG PROBLEM, unless you are flying for free! By the way, check AF's lowest fare to PAR, could not be lower, so!

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
Aeromar

So, yo want to say thats Aeromar will not sell tickets, ok some things:

All flights in high season ALL sold out!!!!! with stop over all SOLD OUT!!!!, the peoples thast travel from Europe will like Aeromar it can be better to start your vacation in the DR with a Dominican Airline, except that Air France, Iberia, Air Europa every time sold-out!!! Not only the flight

SERVICE Dominican food, dominican attendants. The flag carrier of the Dominican Republic.

Check Aeromar

Starts with 4 weekly flights on B727-200

and now B767's B757 to JFK 3 daily flights to JFK and is the biggest competitor of American Airlines in the DR route

More than 100,000 passengers in one year operations (start after 11th sepember 2001)

I think you are a ANTI-Dominican aviation.

Aeromar LINEAS AEREAS DOMINICANAS

latinaviation

Jan 6, 2002
Both of you have valid points, there's no reason to dig further into this.

Aeromar's success to New York wasn't hard to predict. It's a huge market that was underserved by American. And, they did it right from day one: widebody aircraft, Dominican service, low fares. And look, even AA has matched BQ - meaning they must have been somewhat effective in getting their attention.

On the other hand, the trans-Atlantic market is a whole different scheme and throwing a bunch of 747s or 767s with low fares isn't going to capture anyone's attention. If you look at the booking activity of European's to the Caribbean, it's almost wholly done through a few, pan-European travel companies that own the agency, airline, ground handler and hotel. Thomas Cook, First Choice, etc., are just a few. Thus, anyone entering the market has their own uphill battle.

And, Aeromar doesn't have the Dominican reputation in Europe that it has cultivated in NY nor does it have the same Dominican population to call on. Catering to European's as a Dominican airline brand-new to the trans-Atlantic market is going to be tough, especially with the chaos that surrounded the one flight to Madrid (regardless of who is at fault) and the fact that many vacation-goers have gotten burned before by similar, but non-Dominican, companies.

Just my two cents worth.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Now I see.

You work in BQ.

Well, you have to think that Europe is not NYC, there are many different countries out there. If you are professional enough, you'll understand that 1 wekkly flight is not effective against daily flights. That's why AF flights are sold out, they are daily, and remember fare policy. Majority of AF passengers to PAR have connections to other destinations. AF, IB, UX offer unique fares to all their destinations from SDQ.

For example fare SDQ PAR SDQ is almost the same as SDQ PAR MIL PAR SDQ on AF, so how you will afford it? You should sell second ticket for PAR MIL PAR, it will cost you, you'll have 2 differnt tickets with 2 penalties in case if passenger wants to stay back.

And I'll chose daily airline, if I go to PAR and suddenly need to come back earlier they have daily flights, while with you I will have to wait that only flight you've got. So, come on!

Today we live in era of world alliances, in case if BQ will enter to One World it's gonna be easier. Passengers are greedy, they want miles. And your FF program is not that impressive yet, so?

Calculate:

Here are the lowest fares for SDQ PAR SDQ

IB- LLSX1M3* 585 USD
MP- HLAB1M* 585 USD
AF- TLAPIC3* 633 USD

SDQ-MIL-SDQ by AF is 681 USD + taxes,

so how much will you calculate your connection :
SDQ PAR *BQ
PAR MIL * AF
MIL PAR * AF
PAR SDQ *BQ

think that AF will sell you their segment at least for 150 USD minimum, so to beat AF's fare 681 USD you should be able to sell your segments for 531 USD, well I don't think it is reasonable.

Remember, greater the frequency is - lower the operational cost is, so AF will beat you here too.

Remember that all AAdvantage members will fly to Europe on IB because they are in One World, so let's suppose that you've lost these too.

And right, it is cool that Aeromar is a national carrier, but actually Dominicana de Aviacion is a still flag carrier, it does exist on paper and has its routes reserved, so you are not so national, just a private one from here.

I just want to tell you one thing, I am working in this subject since 1993, I know what am I talking about. And please don't talk about european tourists, they don't care what to chose, their touroperator decides what carrier will bring them here, and try to think that all charter carriers from Europe are parts of these travel corporations. They prefer to send client to other destination that to send them by other airline.

And think about it, charter flights are made not to make money, it is to transfer travellers, they earn money from their accomodations, not tickets. BRITANNI AIRWAYS offers 300 USD round trip from Europe to Dominicana if you buy inclusive tour from their agents?

Do I have to continue????????????

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
And please don't start talking about your plans to offer cheapest fares, will you be able to beat Air Europa's current offer to MAD for 299 USD + taxes? XSXDO fare is available!

I'm not anti-dominican carrier, I used to fly on BQ when it opereated Falcon's 727, it was ok. I imagine that now with Iceland Air and Air Atlanta's 757 and 767s you are even better, but anser me my question.

For example, I want to buy a ticket for SDQ NYC SDQ route, why do I have to use BQ? What are the reasons? Convience me that you are the right airline?

SDQ NYC 05FEB
NYC SDQ 05 FEB

available options now for these flights, all prices are with all taxes:
National Airlines 359 USD
BQ - 369 USD
AA - 369 USD
CO - 369 USD

And CO has B 767-400, indipendently speaking - CO is a flying paradise,

So prove me, why BQ?

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
BQ

If you dont know

Check this

Amsterdam to Santo Domingo (Martinair)

? 800 inc Taxes (US$ 840) FROM AMSTERDAM

? 500 inc Taxes (US$ 530) From SANTO DOMINGO

Why you think Aeromar will not profi in this route AMS-MAD

they fly 3 daily from SDQ-JFK

They knows the demand and their reputations, i cant see thats Aeromar will add MAD and CDG beacause Aeromar wants fly this route.

IS AEROMAR STUPID, hmmm i dont think so

A big compliment for Aeromar

Dominican Rep. Cat 2
Flying after September 11th 2001
100,000 passengers sins start operations after Sept 11 2001

BUT LOOK TO THE OTHER AIRLINES

MEXICANA from SDQ to MAD (project)
AERO CONTINENTE from SDQ-MAD and SDQ-LHR (London)
LAN DOMINICANA to MAD
AEROMAR LAD to MAD and CDG

Why will the people dont fly with AEROMAR

Their are people thats doesnt like (bat service)
But their are content people

I KNOW THE SERVICE CAN BETTER, BUT AEROMAR IS FLYING WITH LEASED AIRCRAFTS (BECAUSE DR IS A CAT 2 COUNTRY IN FAA REGULATIONS) SO THE ATTENDANTS ARE NOT ALL DOMINICANS, I HAVE SOME ARTICELS, SOME ICELANDIC ATTENDANTS CANT SAY "HOLA"

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Well, actually I do know! :)

My travellers fly from Europe on Britannia Airways, Air Tours, Belair, Edelweiss Airlines and other carriers paying 300-400 USD for RT, so, gimme a break!

I am not talking about regular carriers. You sound more amateur fan of BQ than airline manager with expirience in marketing, so I rest my case. Ok, let them fly to Europe, Africa and Antarctica, why not? And please don't talk about MX projects. Hipolito Mejia had a project to make all poor millionairs before elections, so in aviation we always accept only facts that took a place.

By the way, you didn't convience me why do I have to fly on BQ, I am still waiting. If your point is : Let's fly everywhere we can just for flying. - Why not?

You carry 100 000 passengers, well, it is not such a factor. Inform me about your load capacity. American Airlines has hundred million passenger, so now what, they don't make any money from flying. If they will stop flying tomorrow their owners will lose less money.

The point is : How mich money BQ makes from its flights.

And I will never fly to LON from here on MX, Aerocontinente, BQ, EX or whatever. I'll use AA via MIA, so let's close this discussion.

Would you be so kind to tell me what is your current position in BQ?

Respectfully yours.

Britannia Airways General Representative for the Caribbean.