How many days should I stay in Santo Domingo?

drabun

Dec 6, 2002
Thanks to everyone's input, I have decided to go for it and rent a car while in DR. Hoping I can get some more great advice from all of you guys .....

How many days would you recommend for Santo Domingo? From what I've read, it ranges anywhere from "get out of the city right away" to "take a few days to explore it." We're not big on museums but love walking around and immersing ourselves in local culture, markets, etc. Love people watching and just hanging out. Is one full day enough to get a feel of the city?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One thing I would suggest is walking through the Colonial City, keeping in mind that these buildings go back to the time of Columbus. Off the Colonial City is the Conde, 4 or 5 blocks of stores with the street turned into a mall. A few of the restaurants have tables outside so that you can have a drink and watch the people walk by.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
If you're not into museums and the like, I would say one day would do you for the capital city, two days maximum. Even if you are going to do the whole museum thing, I did it in a day trip, it's not like a European metropolis that takes days to really take in.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Zoos? How about Zoos? Or Botanical Gardens? Or Aquariums?
Those are the more modern attractions.
In Santo Domingo:
Casa de Bastides
Fortaleza Ozama
Museo de las Casas Reales (with real sunken treasure taken from the Silver Banks and Samana Bay!)
Columbus'House, the Cathedral and on and on.....
Plus some good places to eat and drink...

HB

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Bugsey34, respectfully, I have to disagree. I did a one day tour of the Colonial city and the result was a need for at least 3 more days. I'm too old and ugly for serious night life, Proud Mary's on Duarte excepted. I guess it all depends on the individual. Now, isn't that an original thought. Stan

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
drabun said:
We're not big on museums but love walking around and immersing ourselves in local culture, markets, etc. Love people watching and just hanging out. Is one full day enough to get a feel of the city?

True, Stan, to each his own.

I just advised based on the above quote. From what I have read these people are movers and shakers. I definetly got "a feel" for the city in a day.

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
Cost of rentals....

If sticking to the majors....ie Hertz, National, etc. and buying all their extra 'stuff', ins. etc. is it possible to get an ecomomy car for say.$200 P/W in DR? How about 250-300-350???

Seems to be one of the few countries I've come across where the actual 'what you gonna spend rate' is always 2x + the come-on basic rate....off search engines and the major's websites?

Do they ever have good deals/promotions?

Just curious

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Santo Domingo

First, I wouldn't recommend driving there. And I don't recommend it as a place to sit back and people watch, check out markets, etc.

I may be biased but I dreaded every time I had to go to SD....I cannot stand big dirty cities, which is likely my downfall.

If you must, I recommend you get there by bus, and plan on one day/night with an option to stay longer if you like it...or bail if you can't stand it!

Have a good trip, say hi to Mejia for me ;_

m