Cute hotels in Las Galeras or Las Terrenas

yaelpf

Nov 25, 2002
Hi There!

Any ideas for cute hotels in Las Galeras or Las Terrenas?
We're traveling by car...
Did you hear about Palococo?

Thanks, Yael.

Oh, and:

*** DR - See you soon at last! ***

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Hotel Bahia Las Ballenas

Hotel Bahia Las Ballenas

I had the sublime pleasure to spend some time at this resort last week. It is located on the beautiful Playa Bonita in Las Terrenas on the Samana peninsula of the Dominican Republic.

I decided on this resort because of the fact it provided a great opportunity for a laid back holiday full of relaxation and beautiful surroundings. The trip to Las Terrenas from the Capital was grueling, five hours via Caribe tours to Sanchez and then on the back of a pick-up truck the rest of the way to Playa Bonita.

You arrive to a thatched roof reception area where Chrystel La Fontainne and her staff greet you and welcome you to their slice of paradise. I had requested a room close to the beach and was given Hamaca 1,which was literally 20 meters from the sand.

We retreated to our room, which was in the ?Mexican? motif. They are situated in clusters of four for a total of 32 rooms scattered about the property. Some surrounded the lovely free-form swimming pool, others faced the ocean, and others had garden view. The bathroom was open-air and was quite refreshing after a shower. The room had a ceiling fan and with the windows open at night was cool enough for sleeping. One thing I will never forget was the lullaby of the ocean crashing against the beach each night. Never needed to count sheep!

Perhaps the greatest aspect of this resort is the level of personal service received. Paco and his soux-chefs as well as the bar and wait staff were all outstanding. Each meal was prepared individually with precision worthy of a 4 star restaurant here in NY. One night I had freshly grilled Lobster with a lambi salad and the other I had a filet of snapper in a mustard-pepper sauce. The portions are huge and the food is simply delicious. There are no recycling uneaten all-inclusive buffets here as every meal is made to order.

The Beach I found to be a little rough in front of our hotel but a short walk 20 meters to the right or left brings you the most azure tranquil setting of a beach one could dream of. We spent hours lounging and bathing one day even staying until sunset. My wife and I witnessed a spectacular sunset as the sun took a dip too!

The only way to get to town is by moto-concho so I rented one. One day we motored to Salto de Limon Falls which is a natural waterfall hidden in the mountains of Las Terrenas. After walking through two tons of horseshit up a mountain we were greeted by the cascading waterfall where tourists bathe. I took a dip and looked around for a while. It was stunning, must see if you go to the area. Tipped the kids who guided us shoeless $100.00 pesos each. Did not take the horse ride, which means you need to be fit to make the trek up the mountain. It was arduous.

This resort is a great place to relax, reflect, unwind etc. This is not a place for the action minded or party animal but rather a great place to enjoy nature and the company of someone you go with. A hotel like this on another island would easily cost upwards to $400.00 per night so it?s a great bargain too.

I haven?t made up my mind yet whether I would return, but I sincerely hope to.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I understood that the German that ran moorea beach is not there, but don't really know. Villa serena is magnificient and we are planning our grand daughter's wedding there in about 18 years....or so!!

I would try Andy B's place. (www.samana.net) It is quiet, very close to the water and not expensive. Nicole is a great cook/perhaps "chef" is a better word....And there are other things to do there. And other places to eat, like down on the beach....literally for a few cents....

HB

Amended to say that I have stayed and eated at all three places.
Nothing but praise for each one!!

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Well, HB, I appreciate your knowledge of the area and I hope to pick your brain some more so please do not take offence. All I can relate is what I experienced as a relative newbie. We had our wedding anniversary meal at Villa Serena last year . Everything was very ordinary except the PRICE and the view. The year before, we had THE meal at the Casa Marina Bay and Tito pulled out the stops. The meal was excellent, the service superb. I t was not much less expensive than Villa Serena. Maybe we caught VS on a bad night, but a few of the resident ex pats of various countries just shook their heads when we told them where we were dining. Unfortunately, Nicole was on vacation when we were there so we missed her highly recommended cuisine. Andy, if you read this, it was Bernard's bloody dogs from Moorea that chewed up your dog in an unprovoked attack.

Back to topic, I neglected to mention to YAELPF, if you are only looking to stay a few nights Peter & Gyde Traugett rent Cabanas for about $20us per night. No cooking facilities but within aroma of many restaurants and Nellie's bakery. Sorry Nellie, Patisserie.

Obviously I totally misunderstood the beach restaurant scene. I didn''t eat there because the prices seemed outrageous. Was I reading Rd$ for US$? Rather than clutter up the thread with dumb questions, I would really appreciate any info on eating and travel to Las Galeras from SDQ or other aspects of Samama life. Stan@kenderhome.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Stan: I was bored outta my skull at Villa Serena. Lucky I had a couple of good books and some great cigars with me. The food at Bernard's place was dominican style goat, so it was great, cooked by his wife...My son is a friend of his and we enjoyed it largely. As for the VS food. Seriously, it was well presented, quite well, but it was lacking in quantity and imagination. Nicole had them beat 10 ways to Sunday. It is beautiful, no doubt, but you do pay for the vistas. I agree there. It is owned by a Yugoslavian (I think) that was head of protocol inthe Fernandez administration-at least that is how I heard it....got lots of "help" from the government.....again, as I heard it...

There are thos apartments over the Pizzeria there on the corner, too. They rent out quite cheaply and you are just two blocks from the sea.....

HB, thinking he and the Mrs. had better ventrue out that way again.....been about a year, now....

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
How about in March/03, HB? Mi Casa, mi cerveza. Oh yeah, and Canadian Club. Casa Del Gatto. I did not choose the name, only the Casa. Just ask for El Gringo Viejo, with the Tilley hat. I'm the local joke but they tolerate me. Stan.

darling

Sep 3, 2002
We have been to Bahia Las Ballenas 5 or 6 times. Absolutely love it ! For a change we went to Villa Serena in February. Compared to the rooms in Bahia Las Ballenas the rooms in VS were plain and boring and I missed my open-air bathroom !! And either there IS no bar or we completely missed it. I would definitely recommend Bahia Las Ballenas over Villa Serana.

K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Stan: How much is stashed in the crown of the Tilley hat??

I got one of those!!

March 03.....Sounds like a plan...

HB

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
$10USD! Serves as mad money & I could bear the loss but never had to. I could fill a thread with stories of dumb things done in the DR that should have had bad consequences but didn't. Reflect well on the people IMHO! I don't know the name of our sreet, or even if it has one, but you hang a left just before you go into the Villa Serena. We plan to take few days out to visit Santiago, but I'm sure we can work out some method of communication. Any bits & pieces needed from Canada? I'm leaving for Scotland Dec 16, back early January just in case anyone thinks I'm ignoring them ( or anyone really gives a hoot) Stan.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Suggestions

Las Galeras is very different than Las Terrenas...you may want to dig into that a bit more before a decision.

Stayed at Bahia Las Ballenas in Las Terrenas - nice place but too far from town (if this is right place i am thinking of). Preferred El Colibri.

Two places I can recommend in Las Galeras are Club Bonito and the white hotel just next door....can't remember the name of it.

Overall, preferred Las Terrenas to Las Galeras, but it depends what you are after. More shops and activity in Las Terrenas.

marc

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The hotel next to Club Bonito is called Todo Blanco - beautiful and not too expensive, wonderful Italian food.