Canada Customs Problem

richard

Jan 1, 2002
If you are a Canadian returning to Canada from the DR with cigarettes you should be aware of what awaits you at Canada Customs. If they are Marlboros, which you bought at duty free or a store they are not exempt from duty. The only cigarettes exempt are Canadian brands such as Dumaurier or Export, which have a Canadian tax paid seal on them. When I returned to Canada last week, being a good guy I listed 200 cigarettes on my declaration. I was sent to have my bags inspected. The agent asked to see them so I dutifully started pulling them out of my case package by package (I always split the carton to make packing easier). When she saw them she informed me that I had to pay $15.00Cdn. duty which would go to Health and Welfare. If I had bought cigarettes on Transat or Sky Service they would have been O.K, since they would be Canadian brands and would have the sticker on them. She advised me that this new policy was covered in the Oct2001 budget. When I told her this was my 3rd trip since then and no one had said anything before I was told they had been told recently to start enforcing this law. When I paid the duty and I complained, the cashier told me I should have read the budget, yeah right, and ignorance of the law was no excuse. It took about 15 minutes of the agent?s time to process this inspection, surely their time should be worth more than $15.00. Fortunately I only declared 200 cigarettes and not the box of Cuban cigars and another 10 packs of smokes buried deeper in my bag. Just be aware, next time I won?t declare any cigarettes.:confused:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cubans, did you say Cubans?

Where did you buy them? I am interested in this since I have friends that always ask, and I do not generally recommend any place for Cubans.

My gut feeling is that you might have bought a Cuban 'brand' but I seriously doubt that they were Cuban...

HB, serious, really....

richard

Jan 1, 2002
That I did HB. I bought them on the beach; most likely they are knock-offs but still a good smoke.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gee, I wish you could have smoked a really fine cigar. We always have a lot of problems with these guys selling "genuine Cubans" ..

Sort of what I figuered..Next time get in touch and I will assure you fo fine cigars....

HB

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Gee, I wish you could have smoked a really fine cigar. We always have a lot of problems with these guys selling "genuine Cubans" ..

Sort of what I figuered..Next time get in touch and I will assure you fo fine cigars....

HB

Thanks HB. I figured they were ko's, Cuban cigars, the real thing are available here in Canada but they cost about $10.00 each Cdn.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Boh said:
Is the duty or health tax on (per cigar) cigars the same as cigarettes?
I have no idea but I'm sure they will nail you on cigars too since they wouldn't have a Canadian sticker on them.Probably a call to Canada Customs would provide the correct info.

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Richard,

The $$ duty doesn't apply to cigars. At least not yet.

Last edited:
Richard:<br> You were pulled in and bags checked why didnt they find the other smokes and Cuban cigars.<br>Not a very good check, you were the unlucky # when you passed through inspection point A, they write a number on your declaration card and today number was 16 as an example, same as yours, almost everyone elso made it through as the agents write down #16 on about every 50th<br>
I returned on November 10th with a carton of Marlboro's in my son's bag, he declared 200 cigarettes and I declared and had 50 cigars, Arturo Fuentes and Don Sebastians both Dominican brands and had absolutely no problems.<br>I have been through dozens of times and never had a problem with alcohol or tobacco products.<br>
Also as HB says you got a knock off! There a many fine Dominican cigars available at very good prices and an even better smoke.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Hlywud said:
Richard:<br> You were pulled in and bags checked why didnt they find the other smokes and Cuban cigars.<br>Not a very good check, you were the unlucky # when you passed through inspection point A, they write a number on your declaration card and today number was 16 as an example, same as yours, almost everyone elso made it through as the agents write down #16 on about every 50th<br>
I returned on November 10th with a carton of Marlboro's in my son's bag, he declared 200 cigarettes and I declared and had 50 cigars, Arturo Fuentes and Don Sebastians both Dominican brands and had absolutely no problems.<br>I have been through dozens of times and never had a problem with alcohol or tobacco products.<br>
Also as HB says you got a knock off! There a many fine Dominican cigars available at very good prices and an even better smoke.

Probably they didn't find them because they didn't search my bag; when I unzipped my bag the agent asked to see them and I reached in and could find the smokes just by feel. I then pulled out about 5-6 packs; it was then she told me I could abandon them to the crown or pay the $15.00 and keep them. Since she didn't appear interested in looking into the bag, my recourse to pay the 15.00 was my best way out.I should mention too, I arrived on American Airlines which most likely accounted for some of the problem. You say you declared the 200 smokes, if you were on Transat that could be the difference. I have flown into Toronto from many countries over the years and this was the first time I ever had a problem. The date by the way was Dec 4 so even in the month since you arrived back things could change . The agent did tell me they had been instructed to crack down; when that directive came I don't know.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Geez....I just got my new passport today along with the little booklet they enclose and it says you're allowed 200 cigarettes duty free.
I also didn't pay any duty on the cigarettes I brought back when I returned from Europe on Nov.8th and I did declare them because our bags didn't arrive until two days later so British Airlines had to clear them through customs and ship them to our home. We had to leave a list of contents with the customs officials with a special form for "delayed baggage".
The locks on one suitcase were cut off (it was the one that had the cigarettes in it) so I know they DID inspect the bag! Thank heavens they didn't open the other one!!! :) It had all the contraband in it that I didn't list on the forms.....hehehe

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
New Rules Eliminate the POint

MommC said:
Geez....I just got my new passport today along with the little booklet they enclose and it says you're allowed 200 cigarettes duty free.

In the fine print on the customs declaration they say since 2001 you have to pay duty on non duty paid cigarettes which for all practical purposes are all of them bought outside the country since export cigarettes are sold duty free to USA, etc.

I think with no domestic cigar industry there may be a bit of trade protectionism going on here not just H&W tax, since they don't care one iota about cigars yet they attract a tax and duty if imported for sale in Canada.

As for buying "cubans" on the beach etc., I asked a playero/vendadero and he told me the fakes are under $8 a box at cost and most of that is the box and the glass lid.

Best thing to buy: Dominican cigars - almost always real and in a lot of cases better than Cubans anyway. I prefer La Flor Dominicana Series 2000 #7's - superior to the tourist favorite of Montecristo #4's of unknown parentage and in fact better than the authentic ones I bought in Havana.

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
Tobacco products
If you meet the age requirements set by the province or territory where you enter Canada, you can include up to:

- 200 cigarettes;

- 50 cigars or cigarillos;

- 200 tobacco sticks; and

- 200 grams of manufactured tobacco.

However, as of October 1, 2001, if you include cigarettes, tobacco sticks, or loose tobacco in your personal exemption allowance, only a partial exemption will apply. You will have to pay a minimum duty on these products unless they are marked "CANADA-DUTY PAID ? DROIT ACQUITT?". You will find Canadian-made products sold at a duty-free shop marked this way. You can speed up your clearance by having your tobacco products available for inspection when you arrive.

If you bring in more than your exemption allowance, you will have to pay regular assessments on the excess amount. These regular assessments can include duties, taxes, and provincial or territorial fees. The customs officers will give an allowance for products that are marked when they calculate the amounts owing.

www.ccra.adrc.gc.ca/menu-e.html
Publication "I declare"

Sorry it's www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Yep!.........That's what it says in the book!!
Boy Chretiens gang must be getting as desperate for $$$ as the "Hippo Brigade"!

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Lyse said:
Tobacco products
If you meet the age requirements set by the province or territory where you enter Canada, you can include up to:

- 200 cigarettes;

- 50 cigars or cigarillos;

- 200 tobacco sticks; and

- 200 grams of manufactured tobacco.

However, as of October 1, 2001, if you include cigarettes, tobacco sticks, or loose tobacco in your personal exemption allowance, only a partial exemption will apply. You will have to pay a minimum duty on these products unless they are marked "CANADA-DUTY PAID ? DROIT ACQUITT?". You will find Canadian-made products sold at a duty-free shop marked this way. You can speed up your clearance by having your tobacco products available for inspection when you arrive.

If you bring in more than your exemption allowance, you will have to pay regular assessments on the excess amount. These regular assessments can include duties, taxes, and provincial or territorial fees. The customs officers will give an allowance for products that are marked when they calculate the amounts owing.

www.ccra.adrc.gc.ca/menu-e.html
Publication "I declare"

Sorry it's www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/menu-e.html
-

In very fine print on the customsdeclaration near the smounts you fill in , is the explanation.