Christmas pudding

darling

Sep 3, 2002
Does anyone know if and where in Santo Domingo I could by a Christmas pudding ? I thought of making one myself but I doubt that I would find all the ingredients.

Thanks, K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wait for a reply from Pib, or find one of her posts, click on the email or PM button, and send her a message. She is DR1's cooking expert.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Cooking expert? Feh!

By Christmas pudding what do you mean? Rum cake? Panettone? Fruit cake? Traditional Dominican cake?

There is not a traditional dominican Christmas pudding per se. The high middle class or high class sometimes add panettone, rum cake or fruit cake to the Cristmas dinner. They aren't part of our vernacular cuisine.

You can find the recipe for the traditional Dominican cake in the link below. If you have any questions just contact me through the website or email me. If that is not the recipe you are looking for, give me an idea of you have in mind, I'll try to help.

http://dominicancooking.com/recipes/desserts/bizcochodominicano.htm

Pib
A.K.A. Aunt Clara

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I think she means the traditional English Christmas pudding which I doubt very much will be found in the DR. Heck it's even hard to find here in Canada.
If you need a recipe I'd be happy to oblige and I'm sure you can find all of the ingredients at any of the better supermarkets in Santo Domingo (you may have to ask for some of them from the instore bakeshops).

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
If you get serious problems 'Darling', send me a PM or e-mail which I will pass on to "She that must be Obeyed". Every year she makes our Christmas Pud up from local produce, only importing the right type of suet which we find difficult to obtain here in Puerto Plata. Mind you, she starts making it up in October so that the fruit can soak up all the rum & other booze she puts in the 'Pud'!! You may be a bit too late for this year!!!

In case you are interested, she also makes her own Christmas & Easter mince pies!! We used to make them for the British Tour Company reps, but as they never said 'Thank You', didn't return the containers we sent the pies in, we stopped the practice!! Recipe for mince pies from local produce is also available if required. - Grahame.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
All suet is, is beef fat (or sometime pork fat is substituted) that has no meat in it........
Shouldn't be too hard to obtain although you may need to "make " your own by trimming the meat bits from the fat. I realize Dominican beef cattle are different from ours and don't have as much fat but I'm sure the butcher can help you out.
Grahame is correct when he says pudding should be made in early Oct. (late Sept too) so that it can "age" well before use.
I used to help my mother make it every year until I started making it for my own family.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just to be "politically correct"..........here's the definition!

suet

Definition: [SOO-iht] Found in beef, sheep and other animals, suet is the solid white fat found around the kidneys and loins. Many British recipes call for it to lend richness to pastries, puddings, stuffings and mincemeats. Suet was once widely used to make tallow candles.

--Copyright (c) 1995 by Barron's Educational Series, from The New Food Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hey thanks for the link Pib......I was just going to search the archives for it (forgot to bookmark!!!). My kids have asked for a recipe books of MommaC's recipes for Christmas so I thought I'd throw in a few Dominican recipes too.
I kinda think suet is Yucky also but it sure makes Christmas pudding taste great and the birds outside love the suet cakes I make for them in winter.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Sir Bush Baby
PULEEZE!!!Beg she who must be obeyed for her mince pie recipe or even better I would be happy to purchase three or four if she is willing to prepare them oven ready.
Johnny:cool:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
JOHNNY ..............
How can anyone decline a plea like that???? Consider it done Dear Boy (Gosh, haven't used THAT expression in AGES!!). I'll nick 4 or 5 when she isn't looking AND get the recipe for you. I'll drop all (& hand them to YOU Personally) into the hotel, most likely on Wednesday!!
By the way, I need to pick up one of my jacks for the Jeep. I gave you two (original plus my own) & need one back if poss. Will pick it up on Wed if that is OK with you - GB.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Robert ..... What sort of a % are you looking for?? Try re-aranging the words 'Off' & 'Jack' into a well known saying - Sorry, couldn't resist the response either ................!!

Hope the mince pies went down well Johnny & trust you have all your lady friends busily ensconsed making up many more from the recipe supplied. For those intersted, I have "She that must be Obeyed"'s permission to detail it here .........

Recipe for Christmas Mincemeat

1 lb. (450 grams) cooking apples peeled, cored & finely chopped.
8 oz. (225 grams) shredded suet
12 oz (350 grams) Raisins
8 oz. (225 grams) sultanas
8 oz. (225 grams) currants
8 oz. (225 grams) whole mixed peel, finely chopped
12 oz (350 grams) soft brown sugar
grated rind & juice of 2 oranges & 2 lemons (or 4 limes)
2 oz. (56 grams) whole almonds cut into slivers
4 teaspoons mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
1/2 a nutmeg grated
6 tablespoons brandy (or rum)

Mix all ingredients except for brandy (rum) in a very large bowl very thoroughly. Cover with cloth & leave 12 hours (in refrigerator). Place mincemeat loosely covered with foil in a cool oven - gas mark 1/4 (225 deg F or 120 deg C) for 3 hours. (This process slowly melts the suet which coats rest of the ingredients & prevents fermentation taking place if too much juice seeps from the apples during storage).
Allow it to cool, stir in brandy (rum) & spoon into clean dry jars. Cover with waxed discs & seal.

Mince pies
1 lb. puff pastry (or shortcrust if you prefer)
Mincemeat
1 Egg (beaten)

Roll out pastry to about 1/4 inch thickness line a dozen patty or small muffin tins. Spoon in small amount of mincemeat. Damp the edges of pastry & cover with another round of pastry. Press edges firmly down, brush with the beaten egg, prick with a fork (to let steam out) & bake 25 - 30 minutes at gas mark 7 (electricity 425 deg F - 230 deg C). Lower level of heat required if using shortcrust pastry.
Allow to cool & sprinkle with icing sugar.

ENJOY ??.. best served with tots of brandy/rum & congenial company!!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Thank you very much to Bush Baby and She who must be obeyed for the mince pies,I couldnt wait until Christmas,they were great.
Johnny:cool: