Aeropuerto internacional "Jose Francisco Pena Gomez" why?

L

leonardo1267

I totally disagree with the change of name to our most important Airport to "Jose Francisco Pena Gomez" as far as I know Pena Gomez did absolutelly nothing to be worthy of such an honor.

It is not a secret that Pena Gomez and his henchmen were involved in a lot of shady business with Colombian & Dominican drug dealers, this fact was mention in a document from the DEA.

Everybody knows that one of his failed political campaign was mostly finance with drug money and this is well known fact.

so, In what grounds was this name given to our airport?

leonardo1267

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
The airport was named after the most gifted politician the D.R. has had this side of Isa Conde.
But I understand your pain, for I also cringe when I hear the terms 'Bush International in Houston', or 'Ronald Reagan Intl in D.C.'
Pe?a G?mez was--along with Juan Bosch--a 20th century colossus in D.R. politics. Naming an airport in his honor is the least we can do; schools, roads, bridges and the likes, should also be named after him.

Jose?to

L

leonardo1267

Joseito, you did not answers the drug issues that he was involved.

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
never mind that in 1984 his theft of the mosquitos eradication monies when he purchase over 155 suits, that is what we want of public-servants? I had to spend a great sum on medical bills due o the infestation in the city of Santo Domingo.it is a tragedy that this man who is not a Dominican , but a Hatian got a great support from the Alvarez, fix his paper as to HIS CITIZENSHIP.

FL-Hillbilly

Dec 27, 2002
I disliked the JFK sweep of public places, and I loved the man...I thoroughly dislike the Reagan Airport, especially since he was the one that clobbered the ATC people!! Irony or sarcasm??
As for Pe?a??? I have to agree: He was corrupt beyond imagination, desperate to attain office, sold his soul to the cartels. He was a failed person, out of touch with reality, and tremendously popular with the poor and ignorant who could have cared less if he was Haitian or not. According to locals in Mao he was not born in DR territory.... Neither he nor Bosch merit much contemplation in the overall study of Dominican History since they never accomplished much...As the revisionists try, they will be exaulted to gigantic proportions, but the thinkers know what they really were.

HB

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Hillbilly,

I'd like to know: 1. Was Dr. Jose Francisco Pena (please forgive the missing tildes on the letters 'e' and 'n' - my laptop is not accepting cookies or following orders right now) Gomez (that one too) born in Mao? And, in your opinion, 2. Who are the 'thinkers' you're referring to in your last post?

Thanks.
-Indie

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Indie,

According to what I've read, Pe?a had a historian trace his family roots to prove his Dominican nationality. The historian published a book on this, which showed that Pe?a's Haitian parents lived near Navarrete, where Pe?a was born. When he was just a baby, however, the parents fled to Haiti in the turmoil of the Haitian massacre of 1937. He was then adopted and raised by a Dominican family.

Regarding the "why" of the airport naming, I'm thinking PRD-bolstering, political-payoff motivations, rather than pure homage to the man himself, although I bet the general masses are not against having an airport named after him.

While we are on the subject, if Pe?a was as bad as all that, was he held accountable for any of his actions along with the rest of the Jorge Blanco government?

Last edited:

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Bosch and Pe?a G?mez...

Dominican psyche and culture are based on a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitude.
It seems that people have forgotten that professor Bosch founded the PRD and the PLD, two parties that have ascended to positions of power. And while today's PRD is very corrupt, let's not forget that Balaguer's own Partido Reformista, and PRSC, have had their share of corrupt individuals within their ranks.
In essence, power begets corruption.
But to measure Bosch's and P. G?mez's greatness, or lack thereof, by their accomplishments (reaching the presidency, by Dominican standards, that is) is analogous to considering Benjamin Franklin and Leon Trotsky political failures.

As the late Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neill, used to say: all politics is local. But this assertion takes a deeper meaning in D.R. politics. The people's perceived closeness to important politicos contributes to one-sided opinions. While the opposition may dislike a certain individual, say, Amable Aristy, someone else whom may have benefited by personally obtaining Dr. Aristy's signature for purposes that range from getting a cemetery plot to applying for a U.S. visa, may, indeed, think the world of him.

Is is a sad commentary on our society when we allow "thinkers" to dictate to us what amounts to be brainwashing disguised as demagoguery. And this is not just a Dominican phenomenon, for there is a new generation of Chileans that look down on Salvador Allende; a generation that has been brainwashed.

The post-Trujillo era has been dominated by Balaguer, Bosch and Pe?a G?mez. They were not dictators or criminals--like Trujillo and Pinochet--but leaders of a people. They deserve our respect.

-Jose?to
Don't believe the hype!

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Jane J.,

What you read is right on target, though I'd say, specifically, that Pena Gomez was born in Hato Nuevo, Guayacanes (Provincia Valverde) on March 6, 1937 to Haitian parents. Once his parents fled, Pena, an infant, was left to be cared for by a young relative and was later adopted by a family who lived in Mao. These people were Regino Pena and Fermina Gomez.

Now if locals in Mao want to dispute and refute that, I guess in the DR they have every right to do so, and could. We love a rigged game, boy. Yes, Pena Gomez had Haitian ancestry through his parents, but that should not-and did not-disqualify him from becoming a great political leader--leader of one of the strongest political parties until recently in the Dominican Republic. If so, that same "obstacle" then, should have applied to our last former dictator of thirty-one years, Rafael L. Trujillo, who had Haitian ancestry through his mother, the former Ms. Chevalier. And Joaquin Balaguer, also, like Trujillo, had Haitian ancestry through his mother, who was a cousin of Ulysses Heureux (Lilis)-yet another dictator, a Black himself, and of Haitian descent.

I don't believe Pena Gomez was held accountable for any charges brought against him (if any), but I could be wrong. Yet I do know that this man was a voice for the oppressed, and a staunch defender of the poor. Pena Gomez helped incite a 1965 popular rebellion against the army, which had ousted leftist leader Juan Bosch two years earlier. But the uprising was soon quelled when US President Lyndon B. Johnson--fearing a Cuban-style revolution--sent in troops and installed a conservative puppet President. Years later, Pena Gomez tried for the country's top post, but his 1996 presidential hopes were foiled by racist flyers depicting him as an ape sitting on a throne and by alleged voter fraud. And all this was, of course, set up by Mr. Machiavelli himself, el do'tor Joaquin Balaguer.

For Pena Gomez, the least we could do as a country and out of respect for this man's memory, I think, is name an airport after him. And my personal feelings about Dominican politics in general also echo Joseito's post entirely.

-Indie
Leonardo1267, I'm not done yet.

Last edited:

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
leonardo1267...

I hope this, from http://lonestar.texas.net/~wombat/notas.html answers your question regarding the alleged drug issues that Pena Gomez was allegedly involved with:

The US Drug Enforcement Agency is in some hot water for attempting to frame a Leftist candidate in last year's presidential election in the Dominican Republic. Candidate Jose Francisco Pena Gomez was repeatedly approached by a Colombian cocaine smuggler, Ivan Campos, and was offered up to $250,0000 a month (if he won the election) to allow coke shipments to pass through the D.R. on their way to the US. Pena Gomez repeatedly refused. He also lost. Recently revealed documents now show the Colombian drug dealer was working for the DEA. No comment from the Feds but legal action is being pursued with help from the Puerto Rican Legal Defense Fund.

-Indie

Last edited:
L

leonardo1267

Who the hell is "el toro" and where the he found this data? because it was never mention in the regular media

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
MamIndie...

I almost warned you last night about people's skepticism when dealing with alternative news sources.
They usually say, "Where do you get your news from, Jos??"
As if we HAVE to get it from the "regular" sources ONLY.
If they don't get it from the major TV outlets, or the "regular" newspapers, then it CANNOT be true. But what most people do not understand, is that those sources are so biased that we have to resort to other venues. For example, Newsweek magazine, or the Washington Times would have never reported that the DEA tried to entrap Pe?a G?mez.
After a while we realize that we don't HAVE to get the picture from ANYBODY, at least not ALL the time.
I don't have to go to Italy to know that people there drive Ferraris (I had this nonsensical argument with someone that has gone there twice and claims that nobody there--or anywhere--has cars, that ONLY the good ole USA can afford vehicles, and since I hadn't gone, I, then, could not know what I was talking about) and that Mexico ain't no consumer powerhouse.

Furthermore, people believe and "see" what they WANT to see.
It does not matter that a state governor pardons the wrongly convicted, but some DA, or deputy sheriff, will still insist on that person's guilt, no matter the evidence.

Carry on, baby. I got you covered.

Jose?to
MamIndie's left-hand man.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Maybe Pena Gomez didn't fall into that alleged "DEA Trap" becuse he already had a deal with other coke smugglers? Put that in your "alternative news source"!
God I hate Hippies! and Hippy wannabees

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Tony C, Criss,

Must you always resort to derision?

I understand that buddies have to look out for each other, but your style borders on spit-swapping of the French variety. Think for yourself, think outside the box. I know it's hard for Repukes to just think, so I may be reaching here.
Part of the problem is that you want to be hippies, but you happen to be married. Your lives are structured in a militaristic style. You hate the left, but secretly wish you were part of it.

You two, and a third person whom shall remain nameless, form the "axis of right". I say three because that's what Bush taught us, that an axis must have three parts (Damn! I learned something from Shrub, after all).

-Jose?to
Awating the onslaught

Last edited:

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
leonardo1267...

You asked a question and you got your answers. Next time, I strongly recommend that you do your own damn homework, even when and ESPECIALLY IF you don't like the subject. You might learn something.

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Good book, although I never read it. Never had to.

-Indie
Y al que le sirva, que se lo ponga!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Little Joe",if you are waiting for my rebuke,keep waiting!

Tony and I know where we are,because we have been someplace!We have "Points of Reference"!..We really have,"Been There,and Done That!"...and we have done it lots of times!!!!And in some "Limited Areas" that we find interesting,we continue to "Be There,and Do That!"DR1 is something like an "Extended Family".Some "Members" come and go,like a boyfriend or girlfriend of our children.Some "Marry In"! after a time they are part of our "Family".We may like them, or not like them,but they are part of the family.You are sort of like a "boyfriend" brought to a "Family Reunion" by a "Niece" that no one liked anyway.Your input is calculated only to antagonize the family.Your insults are like those of a 5 year old on the playground.You have no experience upon which to draw.Your "Cisterna" of wisdom has yet to be filled!I don't fault you for having a lack of experience,perhaps with time your comments may gain some substance,but for now your "Bravado" rings hollow! Let me tell you(more or less) what that Great American Statesman Winston Churchill once said:"A man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart,and a man who is not a conservative as he grows older has no brain!"You have yet to "Taste Life"yet you seem so opinionated.You come across my monitor as an obnoxious know-it-all.I see undertones of intelligence,wit,humor,and education,but your confrontational rhetoric keeps your talents in the deep shade.I suggest that you capitalize on your real talents,and stick to commenting on the areas where you do have education,and/or,experience.We really know nothing about you personally.If you take the time to do a search of Tony,or me,you will know all about us.We only see you as a guy who likes to yell "FIRE" in a movie theater to get some attention.Drop the big "Chip" on your shoulder and contribute~ CRIS

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Hey HYPOCRITE! You're kidding, right?

See? That's what they call someone who doesn't always practice what he preaches. Aaah, so you love to dish it out, but you can't take it yourself, huh big boy? (< This last sentence is my gift to you. Consider it your own little opportunity vessel with which to retaliate, if you like.)

Apparently someone just died over the weekend and left you boss (and if so, my condolences to all), so let me ask you: do we have to share our personal lives here first in order to have our opinions, thoughts, ideas and perspectives accepted--or at least respected--by your cliquish clan? And do we all have to have the same mentality and intellect, or lack thereof? And while we're at it, what ever happened to "live and let live" as Robert said? By the way, you still haven't answered Joseito's initial question to you, "Must you always resort to derision?"

Criss, we all know that the best defense is a good offense, because it's a reliable old trick used for turning things around and diverting one's attention. But your attempt at concealing the fact that you know nothing about this subject by totally focusing on Joseito's last post is obvious, so give it up.

This DR debates forum clearly says "Bring your brains and leave your weapons at the door." So Criss, if you still insist on playing, stop bullying people around, grow up and contribute something worthwhile and relevant to the subject, lest you be deemed obnoxious. And I personally do not profess to know it all, because I, for instance, don't know what your problem is, but I bet it's hard to pronounce.

Now, in light of practicing what we preach, I leave you with the words of the Reverend Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?" :knockedou WHAT A COUNTRY!!!

-Indie
You scratch my back, I'll scratch your back. Tag, Joseito.

Last edited:

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
Criss,

I have not--and will never--professed to having "been there" or "done that", for I don't know where "there" is and/or what "that" is. However, I do have an idea. And it mostly deals with people's pocketbook. So, in that case, I'll never know.

Now that we are clear on that, let me suggest that ad hominem attacks are reserved for felons en la chirola.

So what if I pointed out your sycophantic ways? It's really no big deal, my friend. You went further when I posted that now-deleted "Dominican Survival Guide". And did I go raging against the machine?

-Jose?to
Beautiful MamIndie of my soul, may I cook for you?

Last edited: