Jaun Dolio Trip

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I am back from my trip to Jaun Dolio and freezing my freekin' azz off in Massachusetts now.
I stayed at Capella Beach Resort and it has got to be the most beautiful place in the Dominican Republic right now. They decorate the resort to the hilt for Christmas! Every palm tree lining the walkways is covered with enchanting white lights. They have giant pots of poinsettia plants everywhere you look. Their Christmas tree has got to be 3 stories high and is covered with thousands of colored lights. While I was there they held 2 gigantic Christmas parties for Dominican companies. I crashed both of them and enjoyed the bands and the people.
I must say that the quality of food has gone down in the buffet resturaunt because of the lack of tourists in Jaun Dolio. I ate at the Las Olas resturaunt most of the time for better food.
The quality of service is still excellent and the Capella Band is very good. My room was showered with fragrant flowers every day and kept exceptionally clean.
As for Jaun Dolio itself, it is still a very quiet town and tourism is down quite a bit there. The price of tourists taxis is extremely high and I told them they can sit there in the sun and sweat their ass off before I pay the price. I am lucky to have many friends in the area and I just call them when I wanted to go anywhere. I went to Guilla's Cafe a couple of times and while I was there a bunch of BS politician's were there harassing them trying to get $$$$. It is amazing how ballsy these crooks are. I went back to Guilla's on Monday night and had a great time. (MommyC you know Monday's at Guilla's) It was Guilla's birthday and the champaign was flowing freely ALL night and they had a gigantic cake for him. Most of the regular crowd was there and I caught up on the gossip of Juan Dolio there as usual.
MommyC, I am not sure when you were there last but just to let you know, Calle Blvd. has been dug up to install new water and sewer pipes and they never fixed the road afterwards. It is a mess on the side of Guilla's Cafe and very dusty! It also makes for a rough motorconcho ride. Another interesting bit of gossip is that Sophie from GWV is now living in Punta Canta and loving it there.
There is a lot more I could write but for now I need to go throw another log on the fire. BRRRRRRR

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
trip report

Capella is still the best in Jaun Dolio. I think I will post a full lenght review on the other board because not too much is written about that area lately.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hiya Dulce.......too bad I missed the party!!! We've been there and it's always great! (looking forward to Monday nights also).
I knew the road had been dug up.....they were approaching Hotel Flor di Loto when we left. They skipped our section however so the road is still paved in front of our place (thank God and the people who prevented them from digging it up!! Do you know how many times that road had been dug up to install some kind of pipes in the past 12 yrs and there still ISN"T water or sewer service????!!!!).
I knew Sylvie was moving to Punta Cana......she told us just before we left in the spring. Did you know she was a tenant in one of our apts?? Her parents still come to visit when they visit her (well I guess no more since she's in PC now)

And Wud......Tell you friends to go to Guilia's Monday night and we'll be there! Or if they want to venture in the other direction they can stop in at Il Cappucino in the AM for coffee and find us.
You know my real name so you can tell them to ask for me or hubby!