First visit 1/4/03...

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
Several weeks of cruising the board have been most enjoyable. I am now braving my own post...and trust you will make allowances for any errors I may make...

I will be staying with friends at Caribe Campo Club in Sosua...not seen any posts regarding this location..

Would love to meet up with Ken and Bushbaby (I'm a fellow Brit) if at all possible for a brief Q & A session??? ...over a few Presidente???

FL-Hillbilly

Dec 27, 2002
Guaranteed to have fun. You will be able to walk over to Eddy's place, watch some premiership, hoist a few excellent lagers and cool it....Of course there is some tea at Bush's Palace....

And, if you can talk BB into cranking up his SUV, you can visit the Hillbilly Hovel for some hooch!

HB

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
Hillbilly I thank you for your words of encouragement. If there is anyone else you know in the Sosua area who has something to contribute to a Q & A session I would be most grateful if you could pass the word along.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
HBQ
If you drop by Britania Pub,I can help out and also introduce you to some British expats.
Regards
Johnny

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Forget the Stankin Brits... what a bunch of boring people anyway! Hell this sight is run by one of em... LOL

You can ask for me at Eddys or Rockys and I will be in town till the 10th or longer. I am going to Santiago on the 4th for a day or so but I'll BE BACK (with a German Accent)

Right now I am in Las Terenas sitting in Ted's Bar who use to work at Rockys in case anyone remembers Ted.

AZB... I left a pair of shoes at your house. Can you bring them on New Years por favor...

FL-Hillbilly

Dec 27, 2002
Why FL-HB

You willbe around until the 10th of Jan??
Cool!
Definately worth a try...

HB

I forgot my password and it was easier to just sign in again here in Florida. Talk about the " lap of luxury" This is just afabulous place-trying to get MQ to get back to me...Maybe Tony C//

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
Eddy's & Britania Pub it is..

Many thanks to Johnny Honda and Jazzcom....will look forward to meeting you both...and others?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
HB... Maybe will stay longer. Have to check with AA to see if they got a flight on the Monday following. If you are going to be back give me a jingle and brewski's are on me. Even over my head is ok. I will just keep my mouth open.

Too bad you are missing New Years bash at Rockys. My first time but I hear it is the bestest on the North Coast.

Regards,
Escott

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
A valuable learning lesson

To Hillbilly and Johnny Honda...I appreciated your friendship and the brief communication we had. If you're up in Florida any time soon please email me..perhaps next time we will get to meet..

To Jazzcom..sorry I didn't make it to Eddy's or Rocky's...

To anyone who is interested..when you take a trip to DR make sure you are on the same wave length as your travelling companions. Never have I heard so much negativity as I did in the few days I spent with my German travelling companions, 2 of whom I have known for several years, the other being a friend of the first 2 who I met for the first time on the way to Miami airport..I have to put it down to their first trip to a Latin 3rd world country/poor Caribbean island.

The information I gained is invaluable as it told me in part why tourism is not up to par on the north coast and much more about what probably was there 18 or less years ago which has since not been kept up to standard...

Go with an open mind, be prepared for the unexpected, and enjoy...

HQB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Synopsis of Playa Dorada & Problems, yet Hope is Eternal

That was a quick trip. I talked to BushBaby a couple of days ago and he told me that you guys hadn't hooked up. He is a great store of info on the North Coast. Anyway, as you can certainly tell from this board, it is easy to be critical of a lot of thigs here in the DR. It is, after all, a poor country with pretensions of being important.
It is not a lack of ideas that has held the place back, but rather a combination of poor political leadership, an expensive and totally useless Armed Forces that sucks the money from more important projects, and a Latin Mentality, well recognized by sociologists that hinders follow through, continual attention to details, and promotes elitist educational processes.
What you saw in Puerto Plata, most probably, was the Playa Dorada Complex, the first planned tourist complex on the North Shore. What started out as an enclave for wealthy folks from Moca, Santiago and Puerto Plata to have their "summer" or "weekend" places on the beach, became a government tourist project. Planned, built and managed by the Central Bank. Therefore, it started with built in deficiencies( Government corruption, favoritism, bureaucratic stupidity) . Jack Tar, Radisson and NACO were the first big hotels in the whole area. Puerto Plata flowered. With good restaurants, shops, things to see and do, it was a really nice place to visit--for a while. Then street gangs of "guides" fought with tour operators for the right to take people around. Service declined, the best operators left for other places. The cruise lines got lower ratings for POP than they did for Cape Haitian! Adios half a dozen cruise liners a week! Jack Tar and the All Inclusive System tempted the hotel administrators to keep the tourists inside the complex. This in turn, prompted in-fighting for clients so rates were lowered to absurd levels, tour operators would fill planes with anything warm and having $300 for two weeks in the sun. Adios good restaurants and entertainments centers. POP died in agony. It was painful
Combine those storylines with a terrible lack of basic public services such as water and lights and you can see why POP has gone down hill as a 5 * destination.
Yet, on the North Coast, in general, the service personnel are outstanding, they want to make the visitor welcome, they want to make them feel at home. I think, in my own limited experience, that they are much nicer than the equivelant personnel on the South Shore.
Is there a future? Of course there is.
When the world economy picks up a bit more this year, I would expect a rise in the flow of tourists. Perhaps not the big spending kind that used to come, but enough of the truck trivers, construction workers, clerks, and other middle income folks to make a difference.

HB

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
"...Latin Mentality, well recognized by sociologists that ...".

Wow, Hillbilly, are you trying to get in trouble being politically incorrect?

HQB

Dec 28, 2002
Rise & Fall of Tourism

Yes, it was a quick trip. No time to get beneath the surface, but we did manage to get to Santo Domingo and the Samana Peninsular by bus so we did see a lot of territory.

We got the grand tour of the Sosua area thanks to a friend from the Bahamas...who finally produced JH's phone number...I think he thought there was a conflict of interest there due to the salesman mentality...

With the exception of a few islands that have remained exclusive, the Caribbean as a whole no longer holds the candle for the 'rich and famous'...champaigne wishes and caviar dreams have moved elsewhere... But I believe you are right when you say the others will come...I saw many of them at the hotel, and more at the airport...

I don't know about blaming the mentality as it seems pretty much universal throughout the Caribbean. An Army is probably a necessary evil that is always expensive to maintain...Goverment corruption is universal though usually better disguised in 1st world countries.

I would like to see some of those abandoned hotels turned into 'assisted living/extended stay' facilities. Today's seniors have the money, the desire to travel, and ultimately the need to save what precious income and social security money they hold onto. You have the medical staff, the labor and facilities that could be easily converted. Throw in Bingo, and you've got it made....!!!

HQB

JBrown

Feb 9, 2002
HB You hit the nail on the head, stayed in PLAYA DORADA IN 89
& PLAYA GRANDE the last five years big differince in service at the two. WE will be back to Playa Dorada on the 4th of Feb to the 14th. Hope to see you if you are in town , last year your car broke down on the way to Playa Grande. JBROWN

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, I remember that fiasco. A cable shorted out the electrics.
Okey, we can certainly try it again. I'll call you on the night of the 4th..We can do it the 8th or 9th I should think..

HB

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: Rise & Fall of Tourism

HQB said:
[

We got the grand tour of the Sosua area thanks to a friend from the Bahamas...who finally produced JH's phone number...I think he thought there was a conflict of interest

HQB [/B]
Real sorry to hear that as I appreciated the call and the chance to talk to you I do want you to know one thing I work from 9 TO 3 Mon. to Fri,as anyone who has met me from this board will tell you I do not mix business with leisure time or friends so anyone who wants info on my business can do so by coming by my office as I have told a couple of people when I et them and they asked.
Hope to see you next time to hoist a couple of cold ones.Oh by the way that is probably what Rino was thinking Ill be sure to ask.
Regards
Johnny:cool:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey HB/JB, any room for a little one?? My Canadian mates are coming in 20th Jan for a week of golf, I have more coming in the following two weeks & should get out 3 or 4 times with them, so SHOULD be striking it well enough to handle Playa Grande by then!!!! We could even use my Montero to go down in JB!!!
(Bush being 'pushy' again!!). - Grahame.
PS. If I HAVE to, I'll vouch for Johnny being an OK guy & NOT one of those pushy Timeshare guys out of the office environment!! If you REALLY push me, I'll even admit to liking & respecting the guy! Have a nice one Johnny H. - GB ^_^