timeshare employment

Missliss

Dec 29, 2002
Can anyone give me any info regarding the timeshare industry in DR? I know there are a number of resorts currently marketing. I have worked in the industry for a number of years and am wondering about transferring to the DR. What is the average monthly income for an above average salesperson? And what are the legal requirements for coming to work? Thanks for any help available.

Missliss

Dec 29, 2002
Johnny- Did you get my email?
Yes, I am a serious and honest salesperson possibly looking to relocate to the DR IF the timeshare industry there is reputable (not to suggest otherwise, but there are shady practices in some markets) and IF the salespeople are making decent commissions. I am a proven veteran with a great track record. But I'd like to know a little about the product there and whether or not it would be beneficial for me to continue to pursue a position there. I'm a little worried about why my post has been here for 3 days and it seems NO ONE has any info to offer or for some reason they are chosing not to contribute whatever it is they do know. Why is that? Somebody talk to me... :) Thanks.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Is this the place to discuss timeshare employment?

Miss liss, if you search the archives about timeshare, you will find a strong anti-timeshare bias on the board. The active members are apparently being silent rather than negative. But there are beautiful resorts on the island--I have visited many--and you should simply come down and see for yourself.

Your questions are very reasonable and your wondering about the silence equally so, but there is simply nothing like a personal look at potential work and living situations to help you make such an important life choice.

Good luck.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Missliss said:
I'm a little worried about why my post has been here for 3 days and it seems NO ONE has any info to offer or for some reason they are chosing not to contribute whatever it is they do know. Why is that? Somebody talk to me... :) Thanks.

I'd say you have done pretty well. You have heard from the one person in a position to help you relocate.

Click "search" at the top of this page and do a search for timeshare. This is a subject that has been discussed extensively in the past. In particular, see this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15413&highlight=Timeshare Especially the comments by Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions posted in the legal section.

Missliss

Dec 29, 2002
Thanks for sharing :)

I've done the search thingy and have done a little online research; enough to know that there are a number of beautiful resorts in your beautiful country, many of which are marketing some sort of vacation club or (dread the word) "timeshare".

I can also empathise with many of your anti-timeshare opinions. Timesharing is certainly not for everyone and the presentations can be somewhat overwhelming and sometimes downright pushy; not to mention the fact that there are companies out there who unscrupulously sabotage by their unethical business conduct what otherwise is a great product for many families.

I've been quietly watching the posts here for some time and feel I have become sort of "aquainted" with many of you here, and I thought I might get some honest information as opposed to calling the salesrooms directly and possibly being fed a line of hype from some hungry sales manager puffing figures in order to recruit a veteran 20% closer. I've fallen for that "bubble" before.

Just doing some preliminary homework here. I've found that in most communities agressively marketing somebody knows someone working in the sales room and has a pretty good idea about whether or not the product is being sold with integrity and also whether or not the salespeople in general are making any money. I guess those are my questions; from the community's perspective anyway.

If timesharing in your country has such a bad reputation, maybe it's not what I'm looking for. In the US, buying a vacation product (timeshare) is a considerable thing to do; thus Disney, Mariott, Wyndham, Hilton, Embassy and others are all now offering wonderful programs for their frequent guests.

Please don't be afraid to share with me the negative as well as the positive points. Trust me, I won't take it personal. :) and I do appreciate the lively discussion.

Thanks again.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Miss liss and Abe I will be in touch with both of you with info before the end of the day tomorrow,the reason I asked about honesty is I work for a major hotel chain Occidental Allegro and we are not looking for unscrupulous people who work short term and leave,if you want this type of work I suggest you check www.crimeshare.com there is a dominican company listed there and also many small fly by night marketers around.
Johnny:cool:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please don't use "Reputable" and "Timeshare" in the same post!

Someone might mistakenly think they could go together!.."A Fool and his money are soon parted"!...thank God for that,or the "Time-Scare" scam would never fly! Be sure and count your fingers after shaking hands with a sales rep for a time scare!! CRIS....."Shame on all of you!!!"

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: Please don't use "Reputable" and "Timeshare" in the same post!

Criss Colon said:
Someone might mistakenly think they could go together!.."A Fool and his money are soon parted"!...thank God for that,or the "Time-Scare" scam would never fly! Be sure and count your fingers after shaking hands with a sales rep for a time scare!! CRIS....."Shame on all of you!!!"
Crisco
I dont want to get into that discussion,as in every business that exists there are reputable companys and people and there are people and companys who are out to make a quick buck.T.S. is not for everyone but some people like its convenience and system.Some people like volks and some like caddies to each his own.
J.H.

tazboardergirl

Aug 5, 2006
I'm feeling the same way as missliss. I've been hired at the cayenna beach resort selling timeshares, and i'm really leary about it. But at the same time curious. its true timeshares can be a great thing, but also that people are pushy, and greedy. I'm hoping the place i work for is decent, but i have a back up plan. wendy rancho! my goal is the language and not just getting by financially but saving some cash too. I want to buy a place and live there. l lived in italy 4 years and now d.r. i like the crazy driving, and i hope the timeshare wont burst my bubble, but my mind is open.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Tazboardergirl--you probably have a user name here that could make you easily identifiable to a sales manager at your resort who also visits this board. I would suggest that you do not air your concerns here unless you truly are unidentifiable.

Timeshare is the hardest sale in the world and you need to be so completely positive about it--and communicate it to your prospects--that any supposed back-up plans that you may have will erode your commitment and your ability to sell. If a manager sees your post and can link it to you, he or she will have to either have a gut check with you, train you hard, and turn you around--or show you la puerta.

Plenty of people here on this board would suggest that you are subhuman to even consider selling timeshare, but I will ignore that basic question for the moment. I assume you are going to do it, so I am just suggesting that you had better hitch up your pants, so to speak, and get into it 100%. No bail-out plans or other agendas to screw up your mind.

Friendly advice.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tazboardergirl--you probably have a user name here that could make you easily identifiable to a sales manager at your resort who also visits this board. I would suggest that you do not air your concerns here unless you truly are unidentifiable.

Timeshare is the hardest sale in the world and you need to be so completely positive about it--and communicate it to your prospects--that any supposed back-up plans that you may have will erode your commitment and your ability to sell. If a manager sees your post and can link it to you, he or she will have to either have a gut check with you, train you hard, and turn you around--or show you la puerta.

Plenty of people here on this board would suggest that you are subhuman to even consider selling timeshare, but I will ignore that basic question for the moment. I assume you are going to do it, so I am just suggesting that you had better hitch up your pants, so to speak, and get into it 100%. No bail-out plans or other agendas to screw up your mind.

Friendly advice.

I could not have said it better myself.............Friendly but sound advice!