Permitted and Prohibited Items

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Today?s Listin Diario has a front-page story regarding the new security regulations for baggage being implemented for the airline industry. The information mentions baseball bats and golf clubs on the prohibited list for carry-on. The TSA (U.S. Transportation Security Administration) website provides a list of Permitted and Prohibited Items for carry-on and checked bags in Word and .PDF formats, including a .PDF format in Spanish.

The Websites are:
http://www.listindiario.com.do/cuerpos/republica/rep3.htm and
http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?theme=12&content=15

Regards,PJT

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Which came first - the airlines harassment of those with carryons or the excuse of terrorism for doing so?

Isn't it amazing how often such occurrences get telescoped!

For many years I used carryons only, for the simple reason that I wanted to be in control of my belongings, especially to ensure that they arrived when I did. Also, of course, I didn't enjoy having to wait at the baggage carousels. I finally gave up when they started confiscating items because I didn't have a checked bag to put them in. Guess what, right on cue, a checked bag got lost, just as I had been trying to avoid.

Now that they've finally persuaded us to check bags, guess what - surprise, surprise, you'd never guess in a million years - they're concentrating on the checked bags. According to the media, we had better no longer lock our checked bags lest they need to be opened for inspection and the locks broken.

Now, how can we carry anything valuable at all? Even clothing might be stolen by the baggage handlers from unlocked bags. And how can the passengers be responsible for contraband that arrives in unlocked bags?

Will the airlines raise ticket prices again to cover the cost of claims for missing items? Was this perhaps what they had in mind when they started clamping down on carryons (5 years or so ago)?

Anyone with recent experience and/or a solution? Could it be that if they break a lock they even page the owner to give him a chance to re-secure it?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
new security systems

First off my anti virus program notified me that the link for the Word file listing banned items is corrupt.

Travel certainly has been challenging since Sept.11th. I was one of the few brave ones who continued traveling right away. I flew to the DR in Oct. At that time my reasoning was that air travel would be at it's safest because of more security. They sure did have more security and it was that extra, quickly hired,low paid,untrained security that ripped me off for all my cash! It was at a changeover at JFK at the busiest time of the day. They had extra tables set up to put peoples bags on to check for restricted items. I traveled very light and had no carry on luggage except my pocketbook. In it I had fingernail clippers. The woman checking the X-ray and the woman at the table were working together stealing peoples things. A couple of slick ones they were! Anyway, nobody took responsibility for my loss. The airline blamed the private security company(which was shitcanned one week later) ,can't go after a security business that doesn't exits anymore, the New York Port Authority had much more important things to investigate(terrorists)than thieves. Entonce............. You know what? There really is no justice in the world. I am leaving from Logan on Monday and the new rule is: NO LOCKS! I wonder what I will lose now? The best I can do is to write up a detailed inventory of items in all my bags. I do not want to stop traveling so I have to adjust,accept and follow the rules.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Thanks for the info Dulce! The worst is confirmed, then.

If checked luggage is no longer secure, the only alternative is to have more carryons, but the airlines declared war on them long ago.

Add that to the list of ways that they have found to aggravate passengers, such as bad food, excessive charges for changing dates, allowing less fresh air (using the argument that it's not necessary since the smoking ban), ugly stewardesses (had to throw that in), etc.

If one didn't know better (do we?) he might think that the airlines are trying to shut down their operations, or at least trying to get huge government subsidies, maybe on the model of farmers getting paid to stay out of the business.

Why does free enterprise not seem to work in this industry?

I certainly would (and do) use other means of transportation whenever possible.

jenpiel

Nov 24, 2002
Anyone know if you can bring regulators for scuba diving on board? My cousin said no, but I haven't found any documentation on that one.

On a side note: Where is the most reliable source for weather updates? I'll be there at the end of this week and currently looks like rain. Anybody who lives near Sosua, I'd really appreciate hearing if rain is predicted, and approximate temperatures. Thanks!