Living Comfotable

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
With all the changes in the economy and the value of the peso it would be interesting to see what the cost of living is now

from very limited observations, a family living on 20,000 RD/month with a 2 bedroom rented apartment in the capital and a car just barely get by.

anyone else care to throw some current observations out?

Dec 9, 2002
The locals can do it on that - and less - so why not? It just really depends I suppose on what you want/expect from it. It's a totally different lifestyle from the States.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
For a variety of reasons, it is usually very difficult for a first world foreigner to live just like a lower middle class Dominican. If it were attainable, and I suppose it would be for some, it would be after an adjustment period. Set-up costs are high.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Since rent and food are a good part of living expenses and yours will be provided, I think that unless you are a fairly expensive dresser and have other expensive lifestyle choices i would think that this would be more than enough. We can't all live like Golo.
There are many people in Jarabacoa that make less than 10,000 pesos a month and they live quite well by Dominican standards. I would asume that the school might provide some sort of transportation that would be available for you to use, although driving in Jarabacoa is going to be a new experience for you. One thing to remember is that most Dominicans will asume that you are rich, and treat you in their dealings as such. I know that if I was a single guy, i would take the chance for a year just for the experience and enrichment of life experiences. John, good luck in making your choice. I assume that the school will be paying your airfare also. Yea, and make sure they pay you in greenbacks.

Last edited:

miller

Dec 30, 2002
Thank you all for responding. although I was not offered the job. the research I have done has lead me to believe the DR is where I want to be. So if you here of openings please let me know

Thanks Again
Miller