Any Pico Duarte hikers/climbers???

Magpie

Jan 9, 2003
I'm planning to hike up Pico Duarte in early February. I'll be self-sufficient tho I understand I must hire a guide at the park entrance. Has anyone else done it? Any suggestions? I understand mules are available for hire in La Cienaga. I'm not sure if that's necessary although it would certainly be a weight off the back (I'm planning to use my own tent, sleeping bag and other gear..)

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Been there, done that ....

... 3 times.

It is a requirement of the park that you hire a guide and a mule (of course if you don't want the company you can give the guy a tip and get rid of him and the mule).

You can take your tent if you want, but the "refugio" (small wooden shacks along the way) will provide you with the necessary protection form the environment (as long as you don't mind sharing your space, but there shouldn't bee many folks hiking it in the beginning of February). Be advised that the temperature can fall bellow 32 at night.

there are several routes you can take to go to the top, but the two prefered ones are Manabao and Mata Grande. Mata grande is the most beautiful hike and you usually come down via Manabao, so you see it all (it's a longer route and takes at least5 days to complete, with 6 being optimal).

If you want more specific info PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Jojocho

mre2b9

Mar 4, 2004
Pico Duarte

I'm planning to hike Pico Duarte with a couple friends -- we are all experienced hikers/climbers. We would prefer not to bother with a guide and certainly not a mule (we have all climbed higher and harder mountains and for more days than this and if anything a guide with a mule would likely slow us down as we are used to carrying our own gear).

Is there really a guide/mule rule?

How strictly is it enforced?

Do any guides go with their own lighter weight gear and no mule? How much are they?

Which trails are less polluted with the mule droppings of other hikers?

Which trails are best for any other reason? most scenic? most challenging? etc.

Which are best for ascending and which for descending?

Which towns or other things near Pico Duarte would be most interesting to visit?

Are there any topo maps available of the area?

Does anyone have any gps coordinates or routes of the trails or trailheads? (if so, can you upload it to wayhoo.com?)

Any other advice on Pico Duarte?

If anyone might interested in going with us, around the March 16-20, let me know.

Thanks!

Miguel Marqu?s

Apr 11, 2004
Wanna do it again?

Magpie said:
I'm planning to hike up Pico Duarte in early February. I'll be self-sufficient tho I understand I must hire a guide at the park entrance. Has anyone else done it? Any suggestions? I understand mules are available for hire in La Cienaga. I'm not sure if that's necessary although it would certainly be a weight off the back (I'm planning to use my own tent, sleeping bag and other gear..)

Hi there Magpie! So did you do it? How was it? Tell us your experience, I am very experienced, personally. Myname is Miguel and I am Spanish, 25 year old, living in Sos?a. I am planning to hike up from Manabao, maybe using mules part of the way. Two girl friends, Swiss and American will come too. Would anyone would be interested to join us? Any further advice for amateur hikers (some experience in high ranges)?