Puerto Plata Village resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoomGirl

Dec 10, 2002
www.erin-cullingham.com
So, on paper this resort looks pretty cool - it's not beachfront but it is "really close" to the beach, has a pool bar & a beach bar, 24 hour drinks, and appears to be affordable... good enough for me, but more importantly, good for my nit-picky friend who wants to have some crazy fun in the DR.

Oh - I should interrupt myself here to say I'm not interested in hearing about the Sankies. Thanks.

Moving on, what's this place like? Does it really suck (that is, as compared to oter resorts in that area/price range - I realize it won't compare to a 4 or 5 star, but... it doesn't have to. Not for our purposes), or is it good value for the money?

Anyone been there?

Hmmm, and if it's not beachfront, how can it have a beach bar? Someone please explain this to me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will like it there. It is a short walk from the beach, and the hotel maintains a beach front bar for its clients.
You will find it quite nice. Depending on where you are coming from: All the rooms are airconditioned. There is a nice pool area. The rooms are well appointed. Service should be excellent, as with most all places in POP. You are near the front gate, a RD$10 ride into town or a RD$10 peso ride to Sosua. Town right as you go out the gate; Sosua left. Piece of cake.
Short walk righ to Tim Hall's Cafe Cito and the cool Manguito restaurant.

Have fun, be safe!!!

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
The resorts that arnen't on the beach run shuttles every 20 mins. or so. The section of beach you get dropped off at will have a bar and usually hot dogs, burgers or pizza. 24hr. bar- can also get a pizza at 2am to go with beer. A dieters heaven!!!

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Stayed there in 1999, I agree with Hillbilly, well worth the money.
You can walk to the beach or take the shuttle to the beach club and once your there it's no different than if you were staying at a beach front resort, it has a bar, food, water sports etc.
Have fun and get out and see some of the country.
Art

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I was Guest Service manager there for 6 months back in '93 & LOVED my stay there. It WAS a good hotel & reports I have heard since, indicate they have kept the service up. Watch out for golf balls flying into the pool when I am around though, I tend to always slice my shots when at the ninth hole!!
As others have said, you WILL enjoy your stay there but DO get out & meet the locals in town (Not the ones who want to guide for you at the main gate - you don't need them!!). Grahame.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Do get outside of Playa Dorado ,hey Hillbilly you just got me in a soft spot its been way too long since Ive last eaten at El Manguito gotta do it this week,one of my favorite Dominican restos and its been there forever.Thanx for reminding me
Johnny:cool:

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Ahhhh! El Manguito! Yes-the BEST!!!!
Lambi guisado! (Would it be anything else for me!!! You know what they say about Lambi).

Zoomgirl - Do make a point of getting there to eat real Dominican food.

I missed it on my last visit...OK-so when I do get there, that's where we meet, at least once, ok JH!!!

Pics to follow I promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.