Murder In Santo Domingo

A

americano

I recently heard of a gruesome murder (the victim stabbed over 100x) of a gay bar owner in SD. The report I received was that the police arrested EVERYONE in vicinity...neighbors, area store owners, patrons.
Has anyone heard this murder? Are these types of crimes common?
I realize that no society is immune to violence; but these types of bloody crimes remind me of gory newspaper cover stories from Puerto Rico.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just read the new york times and daily news, you will certainly find more horrifying cases (on daily basis) there then you would find here in DR. When it comes to crimes, its a boring place.

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Or.. the BBC. Just read about an Iranian teen that's about to be stoned to death for getting drunk... it's a boring place...

Redrum...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gay slayings are usually very violent. It is the passion involved, I suppose.
Police do tend to 'round up' folks but they are just fishing....

A friend told me that there are no un solved crimes in the DR. Just crimes that are not "convenient" to solve....

AZB: Save me the cross words!!

HB

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
AZB, I'm surprised at you!

Weren't you among those recently bemoaning the risk in leaving a parked car unattended for a movie?

Do you live in a place without bars?

Would/do you make trips at night to anywhere except the most travelled and well-lit areas?

Have you never been the victim of a crime in the DR?

Unlike Hillbilly, I give you the chance to defend yourself.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
YUK

Hillbilly said:
Gay slayings are usually very violent. It is the passion involved, I suppose.

HB

HB, you are right their "passion" goes all the way to canibalism. I spare you the gory details but there was a case in germany (december),wich blew my mind. X

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What I am trying to say is that DR is not as violent as any major city in USA or eurpoe. I have never seens a fight in santiago (only once in santo domingo in 12 years of traveling to this island). There have been riots but only in poor barrios where I have no business to attend.
If you want ptrouble, you will even find it in the church picnic gathering. So please, allow me to tell you that you are as safe in DR as you would like to be if you take proper precautions.
However, in NYC, I had seens crimes commited on ragular basis, right in the middle of day light. Drugs are being sold on many street corners and cars vandalized right before your eyes.
So please, don't make headlines in DR1 on a murder case as though its a daily way of living here. Crimes are very low as compared to many other countries.
You want crimes, go to bogota, colombia but compared to that, DR is a boring place if you want hollywood crime action.
(Besides it sounds more or less a passion crime where jealousy was involved. No one would stab a person more than 100 times unless he / she was blinded by jealous rage. I were you, I would stick to regular female hookers and stay clear of these bun-pumpios' ways. )

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Gee Andy I guess Im lUCKY(or because the Dominicans have called me el loco del gran motor for 18 years)Ive never been robbed unless you count the time a hooker grabbed my dick and another releived me of 20 dollars of canadian tire money(realy would have liked to been there when she tried to change it)Crime is everywhere just less here
J.H.:bandit:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Congratulations Johnny!

Forgive me though if I am still a little skeptical. You don't define the word "rob". I also see that you didn't answer the questions that I rhetorically asked AZB.

I can't recall having anything of value ever stolen from me anywhere in the world except in the DR - where I have had 2 motorcycles stolen. I was also at the scene of an armed robbery in a small hotel in Santo Domingo. From my room I heard the commotion and, after it quieted down, went out into the hallway to find the desk clerk tied up after having been pistol whipped. The police never showed up, by the way. I have also had objects like a VCR "borrowed" by someone who then promptly moved away not to be seen again. A camcorder was borrowed and promptly "lost". A bank transfer even was hidden from me and put into someone else's account. None of this has happened to me anywhere else.

I have travelled to more than 30 countries and resided in 6 foreign ones (excluding the DR) for a year or more. Only in the DR have I been such a victim.

By the way, I am street wise to the point of being paranoid according to some of my friends, but that still hasn't saved me in the DR.

In all fairness, it does seem to me that the Dominican criminal is less violent than in some other places.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Hows this Andy.
Live in Los Jaliscos,small barrio in Sosua Bajo,14 years now no Gringo neighborslearned to speak Spanish 18 years ago in a well known whorehouse in Puerto Platas port area(rough enough neighborhood yet)called Luz Marias,maybe its because I respect them maybe its because most Dominicans say el loco con el gran motor es mas Dominicano que los Dominicanos I realy dont know ,what I do know is thatwhether you are skeptical or not does not concern me I stated a fact about never being robbed,anytime you wish to go out in Puerto Plata,Montellano,Gangrejo,Bella Vista Sosua Bajo,Los Charamicos,Tablon thats enough but I can keep going all along the N. Coast between Imbert and Nagua many places where few gringos go and guarantee your safety unless you are stupid enough to provoke problems.If you show respect to the people and the culture you will recieve the same in return
Johnny
Gringo pero Dominicano pura cepa de corezon:bandit:

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I agree with you Johnny! I have been told similar by my Dominican friends, cab drivers, acquaintances. It is a matter of respect for the people and their ways.

The only thing I have had stolen is a pink lace thong (brand new) by a maid on my second visit, from my suitcase in my hotel room. I hope it fit her!

I get told "You know too much" by many people I encounter there, which is also a compliment, and I suppose accounts for my never having problems. Sure, as a blonde gringa I get hassled sometimes, but not for long, and once they realize I know the game, it stops and I see the other side of people.

I do not walk in fear in DR or at home. If you look like a victim you will be one.