Matrimonial Agency for Dominicans/Canadians

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
THIS IS NOT A JOKE!

I was surprised to see signs posted in Sosua today offering the services of a matrimonial agency for Dominicans and Canadians. The sign is in Spanish, so seems to be directed toward Dominicans, but the text of the sign made me think similar signs must be posted elsewhere for Canadians.

The sign I saw says that if you want to marry a Canadian, the agency has someone for you to marry. No address for the agency is given, just the number of the phone: 853-6940. 853 is not the Sosua prefix; could be a cel number or for another part of the island.

The sign is set up so that interested persons can tear a phone number off the bottom. Judging from the number torn off on the first day the sign was posted, there is plenty of interest. The sign is directed toward both female and male Dominicans.

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Interesting. Did they have a disclaimer that stated how difficult it is for a Canadian spouse to get their Dominican spouse into the country?

I wonder if it's one of these "introduction" services or an actual agency that helps people get here faster.

Ken, you should call and investigate! ;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
debs said:
Interesting. Did they have a disclaimer that stated how difficult it is for a Canadian spouse to get their Dominican spouse into the country?

I wonder if it's one of these "introduction" services or an actual agency that helps people get here faster.

Ken, you should call and investigate! ;)

debs, no disclaimer. Tomorrow I will be prepared to copy the sign and will post the actual wording. But the jist was that if you wanted to casarse with a Canadian they had someone para ti. Pretty straight forward promise of marriage, it seemed to me.

I'm not going to investigate since I am not looking for another wife. However, I included the number should someone want to follow up, either in fun or because they were seriously interested. Some of the posts appearing on this board make me think we may have some with more than casual interest.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It was not difficult for my wife to come to Canada. It took approx 8 months total. I know many Dominicanita's that had to go for an interview, but my wife didn't, probably because she gave them even more information than they had asked for as well as several flattering letters from employers. A Lawyer can't help you. you have to do it on your own. I know that's not what this post was about, but thought i'd put my two cents in.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
kEN where is this sign I want to know who the piece of shit is,I have a Dominican wife and heresv a taste of reality
1 HOUSE WORTH 100K in her namne
2 12 years together
3100K in bank in her name
4Leaving son in D.R.
4iM a resident
5Im the sales manager in largest hotel chain on the Island
6Wife spent 4 tears in Spain and came back
7 6 letters of invitation from family members one Rcmp officer one ceo Irving oil one RSM Canadian Armed Forces(retired)one Proffessor University of Moncton
Result denied
I finally got it because I showed last years earnings and they realized I wasnt interested in living in Canada so they could tax me anymore and anyway I cant make the money there I make here
J.H.(Who knows just how ffucked up imigration canada is}

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Johnny, this wasn't a government sign, it was a homemade one. One of those signs where you tore off a slip at the bottom that contained the word "matrimonio" and the phone number. When I looked today, the sign was gone. All you could see were the marks where the tape had been torn down. I'm looking around now to see if I can find another.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, but it is one of the places I am going to check today. That is a very popular place for posting signs like that, as you know.

But since it was for Dominicans wanting to go to Canada, Playero might not be a good posting place.

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Johnny - That's terrible. Were you just trying to come back to Canada for a visit? It really makes you wonder what they're thinking in Immigration Canada (if they're even capable of doing so, that is).

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Imigration think now thats the best joke Ive heard in awhile,while in Canada I MET SEVERAL TIGRES FROM SOSUA they were all driving beamers and selling crack,one arrived on air transat using his brothers canadian passport.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Sounds like another scam to take advantage of unsuspecting, naive people!

This time Dominicans!!
JH is correct in how difficult it can be to bring a Dominican to Canada especially with the tighter security.
It never ceases to amaze me how the riff-raff seem to have no trouble getting it while those that would be "contributing" citizens (whether they take out their naturalization or not) have such a hard time getting in.
It's not just now either. Twenty years ago hubby's brothers' family wanted to come from Italy and set up a business. Took over a year to get them "in" and they only stayed four months before they decided Canada wasn't for them and headed back to Rome! Said there was too much red tape in Canada for them!:)

I've seen signs in our area advertising help in obtaining visa's but non offering marriage!!