Tribal masks

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I did an archival search before posting this question, but could not find any information on whether DR tribal/native masks (for decorative purposes only) are found there. I have a friend requesting I buy some for him as he is a collector, but I don't even know if they exist in the DR. Anyone have any information?

Thanks,

Tondra

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
There are no tribal masks down here that I know of, but a carnival mask should be a nice colorful addition to his collection ;-)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can find carnival masks in La Vega and Santiago. There are different styles for each city and in Santiago for each part of town. They can be expensive...

Sorry, no tribes here. Wiped out by 1570 or there abouts.....

HB

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
genuine masks for sale

Hillbilly said:
You can find carnival masks in La Vega and Santiago. There are different styles for each city and in Santiago for each part of town. They can be expensive...

Sorry, no tribes here. Wiped out by 1570 or there abouts.....

HB

Dear Mr H. Billy.

There are excellent genuine tribal masks carved by the ancient tribes for sale in the DR. You can buy them on the beach in Sosua.

HONEST! And at a SPECIAL PRICE! CHEAPY CHEAPY! I know this to be true, the vendors told me so.

;)
marc

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Tribal Masks

We purchased a beautiful ebony large tribal mask for my son in a shop in Cabarete last August. They also sell Taina art and other souvenirs. There are tons of these stores on the north coast!! ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While there might be attempts to create something "Taino" there just isn't anything to base it on. The masks from Haiti are, at least, based on African tribal costumes/customs...

HB, laughing at Cabarete as a center for "authentic" Taino art....

Marc: I know it's true, I saw it on MTV!!

Good one!!

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
I will let my friend know that there are no DR tribal masks, but other forms of tribal masks are available. Sounds like the only authentic forms of mask in the DR may be carnival masks (but pricey). Thanks for the lively discussion too! :)

Tondra

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since Carnival is just around the corner, now is the time to get one. A visit to La Vega or Santiago will be required. By expensive, I am talking between US$20 to US$100, FYI...
Of course, all prices are "negotiated" .....
HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Lechones in masks at carnaval time are some of my most colorful and surrealistic memories of living in Santiago. IMHO a mask would be a worthwhile DR souvenir.
mk

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Which town would be closer to Puerto Plata--La Vega or Santiago-and what form of transportation is the best to get there? The price range sounds doable. Would a carnival mask be better transported UPS or in my baggage?

Thanks for the good info.

Tondra

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago is closer: Take Metro bus to Santiago. If you have Spanish, take taxi to Casa de Arte or Museo Tomas Morel and ask...
Two types: Pepinero and Joyero different styles.

Should probably be hand carried or well packed in what DHL calls Jumbo Box, maybe. Problem is they are large. Look in Archives for pictures of La Vega Carnival....

You can e mail me to see if I can help..

HB