Corruption

Ollie

Jan 15, 2003
Hi,

I have family in DR who have a business. However, this was closed down by a Politur General on un-clear grounds. It was claimed that the building was not conform, yet it's no different to neighbouring pands.
Not wanting to specify all what happened in this still on-going story, probably motivated by somebody who wants to take over the business, it does point to this general being bought to do this.

So, I'm wondering how this kind of situations can be treated, and where to go to? Because putting a lawyer on the issue would in fact mean fighting the government in justice, which will probably take way to long. Are there instances where one can go, or one could call when one thinks to be teated un-fairly by a certain department of the police-force?

Also, would a Politur be entitled to decide if a certain building is conform to it's suroundings, because this does not sound logic to me?

Thanks,
Ollie

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would visit with a Politur officer called Matsunaga. His father is the founder of the Dojo Mamoru Matsunaga that is responsible for developing lots of the nation's judo champions, so I would suppose he is an honest person and can give you a straight explanation of why these agents took this action.
You could also visit the legal advisor of the Ministry of Tourism if you want to know the official status of the paperwork you should have.
City governments also have the right to shut down buildings on grounds of violation to laws. Likewise, Politur could be acting on behalf of the Ministry of Tourism, but you need to investigate further.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
It would help if you told us where the business is located,what kind of business it is what were the supposed violations exactly,then you will get helpful answers
Johnny:confused:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Right now there is an ongoing campaign by the Ministry of Tourism to see if businesses in the tourist areas have their permits in order. Restaurants, discos, rental car agencies and gift shops have been closed for noncompliance with current regulations. My personal perception is that Politur is not a particularly corrupt institution compared to other Dominican enforcement agencies. You should be able to find out why the business was shut down.

Ollie

Jan 15, 2003
Thanks,
It concerns a garage in Punta Cana. The suposed violation(s) remains to question, when asked upon this we were answered to hurry up dismanteling the shelter or it would be buldozered.
Ollie