The Big Bang

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
warning!!...very long...

I don?t know what is going on in the world these days. I cannot comprehend today?s investment climate and every each way I look I see signs of an inevitable Big Bang event in the financial markets?.where once again the world will have to go through an imminent destruction and a simultaneous resurgence of new economic concepts and ideas. This Big Bang, like all others, will swipe out all current business beliefs and systematic ideas and a new set of concepts will rise that will be the cornerstone for future thinking in the business arena. ?.and once again, the world will flourish with intelligent, fast thinkers and business driven individuals?and companies will emerge and people employed and wealth created and new technologies born and cyclicality resurrected and poetry overlooked?.

Every which way I look I see signs of a global economic decease that cannot be cured. The symptoms of economic stagnation can be felt, heard and seen from Jarabacoa to Beijing and from Washington to Zaire. The financial doctors empowered with the medicine don?t seem to have an answer as the decease seem to have grown beyond their means?immune to it. All the financial mechanism (options) seemed to have been depleted and, worst of all, the decease cannot be contained. All sorts of economic stimulus packages have failed to produce any intended results and little, if anything, is left in the bag for the politicians to try and revive the dying global economy. ?El Pequetico?, ?El Paquet?n? and the recently announced economic stimulus package by Bush have done nothing to the underlying silence and skepticism of the financial markets around the world?.perhaps there?s something that we all know but are afraid of admitting.

Every which way I look the numbers don?t seem to add up. As recent as three years ago the word investment, almost by definition, expressed a very positive connotation. The mere action of investing, regardless of the product, guaranteed a positive return on your investments?..and the main question was how much do I want to make versus how much risk am I willing to take? Today it seems that the safest investment is the one you never make?and unlike the AIG commercial that states ?the greatest risk of all is not taking one??.I think that the greatest risk of all is taking one at this moment?this is scary to me.

Perhaps it is my timing or my missed-timing that has kept me from seeing the light but I have to admit?it does not look good. Over the last few years I?ve ventured through a number of investments alternatives?I invested in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, 401k plans, company employee stock purchase plans, real estate in the Dominican Republic?etc. The initial experience was good?I made some money...and best of all, they were all blind decisions?as I had no idea what I was investing on. I do know how these financial products behave but the reality is that most people invested in them by default (as I did). To me, it is nearly impossible to objectively look at a big corporation and make an intelligent investment decision based on financial analysis without really knowing the weeds of the company. This is even more the case for mutual funds?as you have more problems to worry about. Yes, you might be able to understand accounting, balance sheet, cash flow statement and the like but at the end of the day that is such a small piece of the equation that it is almost irrelevant to look at. Have you ever wondered about the distance that exists between a CEO of a large corporation (50k+ employees) and the sales representative that sells the company?s product? Do you think that when the CEO/CFO?s are projecting their financial figures they talk to the sales people that are out on the street gutting it out? Would their views of the world change if they took into consideration what the sales guys are telling them? I am obviously oversimplifying the whole decision making process but there?s a point to be made?.the blind leading the blind.

Now that the hanckerschiff has been removed from my eyes and I am able to see the world I have changed my investment approach. I am no longer investing blindfolded, so I am not following the leadership of the blind. I started investing in hard assets?tangible things so that I can touch it and feel it?so that I can look at the revenues, see them and see the expenses and subtract them?.so that I can count the cash$$ with my hands and control the line items?sold 20 lunches at $5 = $100?.and spent $30 in rent $20 in labor and $10 in food and have $10 left for me and uncle Sam?.Ironically, though, getting rid of my blindness turned out to revealed an economic reality that scares the hell out of me?running a small business is a lot more challenging than I would ever imagine and I don?t really know how small businesses make money. Since I started venturing in the small business world I have seen my sales go down at least 30%...and most of the business owners I talk to are going through similar if not worse scenarios. So, what is happening in the world? I don?t really know. All I know is that everything looks expensive?I recently bought a can of 8 ounce formula (baby milk) for my baby at a CVS store and I was shocked?the thing cost me $3.89?it will not last more than a day. How do people live these days? I have pretty good job, own a side business and it is tough man!! I work in NY city but I could not afford to live there?a one bedroom anywhere in Midtown can run from US$1,500 to $2,500?that?s a lot of money?I think?.so I live in Jersey which is a bit more reasonable. It is seek to me that a salary of 80k/year for a family of 3 is barely enough. To start, uncle Sam gets to keep about 33%, so you?re left with 54K for you?housing will cost you roughly $1,500/month ($18,000) for a two bedroom outside of the city?cellular $60, home phone $60, cable $30, internet access $20, healthcare benefits $400, car insurance $120, transportation $80, food at home $400, food at work $200, clothing $150, schooling for one kid $300?

At the end of this equation you?re left with roughly 10K?and these only include basic needs of an average American family. You?re left with 10K for vacation, entertainment (if any), Christmas shopping and all other occasions that come with a commercially-driven society, and investing or borrowing whichever the case may be.

The last time I checked a household income of 80K was considered in the upper-middle class category?so what is the average American doing these days to pay for their bills? I don?t know but I suspect?here?s an assumption: most Americans, and probably the rest of the world, is living off credit at least for that portion of their expenses that cannot be covered by their revenues ?debts are accumulating at an outstanding rate?most are taking second mortgages on their homes to take advantage of real estate appreciation....which, by the way, are ridiculously high. What will happen when real estate prices level off or give up some of the unrealistic gains that they?ve accumulated over the last few years? I don?t know, am not an economist, but it won?t be pretty.

The scary thing about a market economy, like the US, is that its upside and its downside are infinite. The authorities can only do so much as their power is limited by the market?and once the resources accumulated during the good times are relinquished, the power of maneuvering its destiny is transferred back to the market?where the problem originated in the first place. Now, since the market is a body of unknown minds, its behavior is uncoordinated?.it is like a body without a head. In a market economy, the result of uncoordinated actions may lead to uncoordinated consequences which in turn lead to arbitrage situations and a likely speculative reaction??.and we all know what speculation can mean.

But the more realistic scenario, if the current situation persists, is that the markets react to the current adverse economic conditions?and companies continue their downsizing pattern until they reach a level of sustainability. The problem with a market economy, though, is that if things do not level-off they are continuously pressed to get to that equilibrium?without any regard for say unemployment rate?and all these actions just feed themselves?to produce more drastic consequences?and on and on?.

I write this not to scare people off (who am I to do that?)?.I write this for two things 1) to share my experience with some of the business minded people in the forum and 2) as a reaction to some of the previously written threads in this forum like (Golo, Mondongo, etc) which I find very educational, realistic and intelligent and 3) to emphasize that the current business climate in the Dominican Republic is of a global nature?the world, my friends has no frontiers?for good or for bad.

Although this may sound overly pessimistic, I am a highly optimistic person who is more often than not wrong?so I hope that my history does not betray me?

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Thanks for the thoughts Sanchegp.

This subject matter affects all of us much more profoundly than much of what is on this board.

The DR, USA, or anywhere else would be a much better, and more reasonable place, if more people would do the kind of analysis that you have.

I, too, see big trouble ahead - we're already experiencing it. For several years, I have been saying (my opinion only, of course) that the 20+ year rise in the stock market - where the most reckless were the most rewarded, over and over - was the most incredible event in human history. Even the tulip bulb speculation looked almost tame by comparison - it only lasted 2 or 3 years and the best bulbs brought the most guilders, at least.

I was especially horrified during that time to see not only the financial establishment, but even the government itself, feeding the frenzy. For example, anytime the market would have a few bad days (i.e. back to reality), the Fed would cut interest rates or some such thing to keep it going. But gravity, and sanity, can't be ignored forever.

As for the stock market, at least, I expect it to go to under 4000 in the next year or two, although not necessarily tomorrow. It seems to me that speculative bubbles eventually collapse to about 1/4 of their peak in the intermediate term. Look what the Japanese market, which was the leader for a long time, has done, for example.

By the way, many times in history one kind of insanity has led to another - for example WW2 was in many ways a product of the Great Depression. Today's world tensions are quite possibly aggravated by the turmoil caused by the financial woes.

Maybe we have hope if we can keep our heads while others are losing theirs.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
andy a, I'm happy for you that you finally found someone on the board that thinks the same way you do.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Ken, you have the right to explain just which points you disagree with. I wonder how your IRA's are doing, and if your social security is safe, even if your dollars will hold up (not very well lately against anything but pesos)?

Of course, you also have the right to stay out of fights that don't concern you.

My apologies to other members of this board. I always (well, almost) welcome a nice discussion and usually refer to other posters by name only to congratulate them.

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
Andy,

I am glad that you enjoy this type of writing. As you know, some of this thought don't come that easy...they require a bit of analysis so that you make sense and do not have to offend anyone. And by the way I do agree with your repply....it's been an insane market for a while...

"What does this have to do with the DR?"

Well, as I said at the bottom of my thread, the world has no frontiers so markets, businesses...and therefore, living is more and more becoming a global thing. In reading some of the threads here (like the one by Golo entitled "anyone moving to the DR"), I see how the cost of living in the DR is more and more reflecting the cost of living in the US, Europe, Asia...the reasoning is that economies, countries and markets are more and more integrated.

Have you noticed that the telecom, electricity, public services and a whole bunch of the companies providing basic services in the DR are either entirely owned by the big foreign corporations or partially? Look at Tricom, Codetel, Orange, Edelnorte, Edelsur, Cemex, E Leon Jimenez, etc. There's a huge foreign influence on how these companies are run. The benefit of it is that most of these foreign companies dump a lot of cash into their local subsidiaries/companies. The drawback is that they now become part of the earnings pressure put on by the shareholders of this big corporations. This pressure is always on...growth is the name of the game and when there's no growth, the company stock gets penalized....so what happens? When the motherland for this big corporations have been milked, the earnings pressure moves down to the local subsidiaries for revenues or earnings..and prices start to increase until they level off to a point of equilibrium with international prices and so the physical location becomes irrelevant...and Santo Domingo and NY prices look a lot more than what you're seeing today...unless you consume platanos con salchichon in some isolated place in the Jarabacoa mountains...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
sanchegp: Don't listen to these guys...I think you make a lot of sense. We all know that when the US gets a cold the DR gets the flu. We all know how interdependent economies are nowdays. Very few countries are isolated anymore...every country is trying to belong to some bigger trading block (The european union, NAFTA, etc)
Keep your comments coming. I for one find them very interesting.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sanchegp, Pay no atention to these knuckle draggers. You remind me of Onions & Carrots, a very incisive young fellow Dominican.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Onions & Carrots was a "Blow-Hard" punk!

A "Con=Man" who never accepted any "Challanges" to his investment "Expertise"! The old saying;"If you are so smart,howcome you ain't rich?" applied to him.He was also an arrogant ,supposedly "White Dominican"(There is no such thing!)who hated "Black" people from anywhere!He had a new story per day about the "Millions" he made day trading! Can't believe he fooled you! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Waaaaahh! I thought that everybody was going to be rich by investing in the stock market!
Waaaaahh! My Mutual fund tanked!
Waaaaahh! Social security is in trouble!

Don't you know the first rule of investing? DIVERSIFICATION! Mutual funds & 401k's is not diversification if they are all tied to the market.
Real Estate, Commodities, mortgage lending, Venture capital, Hell even Beenie babies are all form of investments.
Ever think long term? My stock investments from 20 years ago are looking quite good right now. Real Estate is kicking ass. Gold....ah Gold! Oil, Collectables, various business investments. Yep Things are good.
Now with the GOP in power maybe they can cut some of these ridiculously high taxes.
The only people who are bitching about the economy are the people who F*cked up!

Q. Whats a definition of a fool?
A. A person who plans his retirement around Social Security!

Criss.... no white Dominicans? I beg to differ.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Intelligent realistic post Sanchegp

I am also extremely concerned with the state of the World economy.
Massive numbers of people, companies, and countries are drowning in a sea of debt, with seemingly no hope in hell of ever paying off.
Debt is a reality that must be faced and can't be resolved by printing more money.

LTCM was 1 of 7000 or so unregulated hedge funds.
This 1 fund almost singlehandedly caused massive damage to the financial markets, until Greenspan orchestrated the big boys for a bailout.

There is a potential leveraged derivatives nightmare facing many of the largest financial institutions, especially JPM.

Many companies' stocks would get crushed if they merely faced reality regarding their pension plans and options, not to mention the numerous despicable crooks that have not yet hit the end of the road.

Other than the shredding incident, was repeat offender Andersen really so unique and different than the others?
They may have been the worst offenders but certainly not so different.
It seems like an endless supply despicable crooks finally being exposed.
We're talking about massive systemic disgraceful criminal behavior at many huge companies.
The Spitzer settlement is a slap on the wrist and no consolation for the trillions duped investors have been defrauded of.

The IMF is buying some time but countries that were on the verge of disaster, now have even more debt and significantly devalued currencies.
Banks' loan losses will skyrocket as will corporate bond defaults and bankruptcies.

The US spends more on interest every year than it spends on the entire military/defense budget.
Even recent so called surpluses were proforma according to the Federal Reserve's Flow of Funds Report.
The average credit card debt is 9k.
Average savings rate is practically nonexistent.
There is a potential housing bubble crash coming soon, probably within 5 years.
It is a total buyer's and employer's market HUGETIME!

The volatile stock market is great for making some quick money.
It is a short-term trader's market, long and short.
Only risk money you can comfortably afford to lose and always use a sensible stop loss.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Excellent post, Malibook. People in the DR should read it and apply it to the DR debt situation.

sanchegp

Nov 18, 2002
"If you can't find a Dominican angle people, it's going to get locked"

...Perhaps I am confused and do not understand the business forum in DR1 and the audience in it. I have to personally admit that I love the DR1 community and some of the instructive, intelligent threads that make up this place. I probably spend a lot more time in it than I should...but I think it's worthwhile. Now, I think that one of DR1's attraction to many of the participants is exactly the type of instructive sharing that takes place here and the liberty for many to express their feelings...some with a local, some international and others with global taste. Nevertheless, the theme is the same...to express our business experiences...from the angle of its author...from wherever he may be. How can we separate the person from his background and experiences?

If we start imposing physical restriction and geographic confinements around our arguments then I need to see a map....specially defining the business topics that are considered Dominican. I for one thing, am as Dominican as they come with the particularity of living in the US at the moment and inserting that experience into my Dominican arsenal. Anyhow, the point is that I believe the business point I tried to make apply just as much to the DR as it does to the US, Africa...and any other place we can think of. Again, as I said on my original post, the reason for writing it was in response to some of the other forums referring to the current state of the DR economy.

I also think that besides being a community of smart individuals, DR1 serves as a gathering place where we can all share the Dominican experience...which to me is the ability to let our instincts dictate the course of action that we take....free to do as we please...without the inherent restrictions that we're all too familiar with...where the instinctive expression of the human mind has little room to move in...and therefore, needs to be suppressed.....

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
A trivial post by me

sanchegp,

I enjoy these contributions of yours, as I usually do enjoy informative, reflective discussions.

I hope that I don't detract from the serious nature of your posts, but I am immediately struck by the improved English in this one - or is it just my imagination?

Before I had thought that maybe your first language had not been English, but now I how no doubt.

Did you perhaps not proofread the others?

Again, just a bit of trivia - no offense please.