trip report

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Hola to all!
This trip was the one of the best trips I have had to the Dominican Republic! I went Dec 21 with my parents they stayed for one week and I enjoyed two more weeks with my husband. It was my parents first time to a tropical island and we showed them a really good time and as many parts of the island we could in a one week time frame. We all stayed at a Bahia Blanca in Rio San Juan. It is right on the ocean, has a beach to swim and a small restuarant/bar for the guests and their visitors. My parents loved it! On the second day we drove to Puerto Plata and did some shopping, looked at some of the sites and then drove to Luper?n for a late lunch. We ate at a place right on the water next to a harbour. It is beautiful and the food was very good.
We went snorkelling on christmas eve. We rested on christmas day and went into the Campo, La Novilla where my father in-law lives and spent the day visiting and meeting other family members that live in the area. On the 26th drove to Saman?. There we went to Simi Baez - and arranged for transportation by boat to Cayo Levantado and placed our order for lunch that was ready on our return. Nearby is Las Galeras. We drove there after lunch to visit with my husbands family in a place called La Lomas (The Small Hills). We enjoyed coffee and conversation. My parents are Deaf and Hard of Hearing and still managed to communicate very well on their own when I was not around to interpret for them. My dad who is hard of hearing even learned some spanish with the help from my husbands family. My parents really got the feeling of the dominican life on this trip and want to return soon. After they left it rained for 3 days! We were now staying in a apartment and it was quite comfortable. Spent that week in Rio San Juan going to Playa Caleton and seeing friends. We decided to make a trip down to Barvaro, Punta Cana. In this area you will find resorts everywhere! The closest town to Barvaro is Hig?ey which is 33km away. We stayed for 2 nights at Occidendal Allegro. It was nice but the nightlife was very dry. There were no people from outside of the resort to be seen! The beaches are white sand and beautiful. The terrain outside of the resorts when one is driving along the highway is not as tropical was one would expect. In comparison, the north coast is beautiful! Lots of vegetation and ocean views and small towns to see. In Cotu? we stopped to buy some orange trees for $10 pesos each, great deal! The last few days we spent back in RSJ. I had to leave a week ago to come back here to Canada to work. I am going back at the end of March. Flight booked and paid for already!

To all those going soon...enjoy your trip and take advantage of what the island has to offer outside of the resorts too! SMile!

Rosanie

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My girl friend is from Rio San Juan. I have been regularly visiting the town for over 15 years and am amazed at how it has changed overtime. After they opened the golf course my now-insignificant other insisted on going over there very often. I am glad you liked it, it is one of my favorite places in DR.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Rosanie, have passed Rio San Juan several times and have not stopped, after reading your report I think it was a bad plan and next time I will turn into town instead of passing by. Thanks for the GREAT trip report. Where in Canada are you? We are from Okotoks Alberta just south of Calgary.
Regards
Art

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Art, one of our Dominican friends from Calgary is from Rio San Juan...if you want, I could put you in touch, he was a taxi driver, and could let you know where to visit. P-mail me if you're interested.
Trina