Nightclubs in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
High Carribe if you want a lot of people and a lot of noise..................and a lot of Hatians.
Larry

Lou

Jan 15, 2003
The High Carribian is the only club in Sosua. Be carful of the locals, altough they are VERY nice,they will try to get your $$ anyway posible. There are alt of bars right on the sides of al the strrets there, some are open all night, they are all very friendly, anyone working there will have a conversation with you male or female, agan be careful they will all try toget your $$$ somehow, but once you get used to dealin with that it is a great place. Enjoy!!!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Attention: in DR, "nightclub" refers to a strip-bar / hooker joint. Discoteca = disco = dance club
So if you are in santiago and say, "I was in a nightclub last night....". It means you were in a hooker joint.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I talked with a couple of Dominican friends who are very much aware of the disco situation in Sosua. They say that there are two popular discos in Sosua: High Caribbean and at the Car Wash. They indicate that the music at the Car Wash disco is Dominican, so should be the disco of choice for those who want to dance merengue, etc. The music at High Caribbean, they say, is mostly North American with 3 minutes of Dominican music every hour or two. Both discos are popular with foreigners.

The two discos are very close together; on the same street, in fact, with the disco at the car wash being very close to the highway.

One of the Dominicans said that he didn't like High Caribbean because the music is too loud due to the many amplifiers that are located around the room. (I know that sounds strange coming from a Dominican, but that is what he said.)

The alternative to the car wash disco for those who want to dance to Dominican music is Cabarete.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Man I thought I was used to loud music but that high Caribbean is louder than any Rock Concert. True that it's mostly American music ( or what we call dance music. Is TuCan still opened? Not too many tourist there and it's mostly Salsa and Merengue.

Lou

Jan 15, 2003
I was also t the "carwash" in Sosua, and it is exactly that a car wash. But at night they set up a bunch of chairs in the back,and a band plays, very unique. I wouldn't call it a disco, but I did enjoy the laid back atmosphere. Pretty much a local spot as I was only one of a handful of tourists there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the additional info, Lou. Did you feel welcome? My informers tell me that foreigners are welcome and have nothing to fear by coming there to dance/listen to the Dominican music?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We stopped at the car wash on the way to the High Caribbean Ken. It was different. Fear? What is there to fear? It was very interesting. So do you know if TuCan is still opened it's just down the street from the Brittania.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Anna

Tucan closed 6 or 8 months ago.The Merengue club across from the Tucan was hhopping last year but is pretty dead now and I dont know if you remember "Willys"....I was there in November 2001 and when I went back to Sosua 6 weeks later it had been burned to the ground....too bad because that was a nice place.....I was in the car wash last week and it was almost all local Dominicans..............Tourists should go to High Carribe.
Larry

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Carwash

This is a cool stop to check out, it makes for a good story back home. Mostly Dominicans, all very friendly (i.e. watch'em) and a safe environment. We used to go for beers there once in a while and see if we could make our ears bleed by actually venturing out onto the dance floor.

marc

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
High Caribean is the place if you are looking to rent a partner male or female other than that american prices for watered down drinks,booming techno and sweating bodies pushing into you and trying to pick your pocket,Ill take anywhere before there,good discos in Puerto Plata.
J.H.:bandit:

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Jimmy Honda..good disco's in Puerto Plata

Heya, I was just wondering which disco's you're refering to. Our last trip we were stuck at Tops the entire time and since we'll be there for two weeks this year are looking forward to venturing out a bit more. I was wondering if you could tell me bout some of them and of course names would be helpful. We'll be staying at Paradise, April 20th-May 4th, so of course Crazy Moon will be our home base but I was wondering if anyone's heard anything about Andromeda? Or any others that are worth checking out. Thanks for any info. Feel free to email me.

cruzincanadiancutie@hotmail.com

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ken said:
Thanks for the additional info, Lou. Did you feel welcome? My informers tell me that foreigners are welcome and have nothing to fear by coming there to dance/listen to the Dominican music?

Ken, I have been there, have had no problem and have felt welcome everyplace I have ever been in Sosua. Problems in Sosua are only a figment of the imaginations of the AI management.

Scott

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Cutie-La Barrica in downtown Puerto Plata is a very popular disco. If your into a smaller open air bar/dance place, try El Balcon, a local hangout 10 min. ride from resort. Around the corner 1/2 block is a softball field where night games are played. If you like sports, some free entertainment.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I prefer small quiet bars, like Plutu's. Nice place, go there every chance I get. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.