Travel to Punta Cana

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Hi there - we are travelling to Breezes in Punta Cana in Feb. I know that Punta Cana is a series of resorts and is not really around any villages/towns, but I am wondering if we take 4-wheelers are there areas around Breezes that we can explore on our own? Thanks.

Trish

4 wheelers

Now, how are you going to get them there? I hope you mean't you were going to rent them. This would be a difficult thing to get around on considering licenses etc. The area around the resorts are getting quite built up along the highway and roads, maybe not a town or village per say but enough small shops and stuff to explore.

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
4-wheelers

Oh geez, no, I'd never think to ~take~ them - from what I understand you can rent them there. Of course, I'm going by hearsay so won't really know til I get there. I do know in Puerto Plata you can wander around abit more - I don't know if it's the same in Punta Cana, I'm thinking no. Where we are going to be there for two weeks we're hoping to get out a bit if able. We are planning the trip to Santa Domingo, but I'm also thinking that will be quite structured.

I've been reading on this board ever since we decided to book another trip this year and the more I read the more I wish I was able to get around more and see more of the area. I'm attempting to learn a bit of Spanish but am no where near being able to hold an intelligent conversation at this point! :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To get around in the eastern area, strongly suggest you rent a small SUV (jeep) because you will be traveling long distances inland. You can visit from Cap Cana on the southern part of the coast to Macao and Uvero Alto on the northern part of the eastern coast. Also, venture out to Miches-Playa Esmeralda (la Mina), Los Haitises (have lunch at Ca?o Hondo restaurant), the Anturiana plantation, Altos de Chavon and Bayahibe in La Romana, the Ponce de Leon house. Lots to see, but most of these trips will be almost all day trips. See http://www.dr1.com/travel/index.shtml and check out Punta Cana, La Romana, San Pedro de Macoris (Juan Dolio) trips that will be doable from Punta Cana.
For renting a car, check out our sponsor, National that has offices at the Punta Cana airport.
http://www.dr1.com/national/