whale watching in Samana

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
We are a group of 4 to 6 people from Cabarete and would like to watch the whales in Samana. What is the best way to go there? Booking a "all inclusive" tour with one of the travel agencies (they offer the trip by bus, with breakfast, boat to Cayo Leventado and Whale watching for about 50 US)? Or is it better to drive there by car and trying to get in Samana on a boat ourself? What do they charge down there for a boat trip to go whale watching? Is it safe (for us AND for the whales) to watch the whales with one of those small fishing boats? Does anybody have any experiences and knows how much it costs?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
when are you going.??
i am going to make that trip feb 4 and 5 th.
i am driving my self .
will let you know the latest details, if you have not gone yet.
If you are that many it is always cheaper to organise your own trip.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
$50usd per person is a good price for the entire package considering just whale-watching alone runs about $40. You're better to go with one of the big boats that go from Samana harbor rather than the small boats that leave from the north side of the bay a few miles past Samana. You'll see more and they're safer, too.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Like Andy B says, go to Samana and see the whales from one of the big boats that leave from the city pier. The company I recommend is Victoria Marina/Whale Samana. The owner, Kim Beddall, is a Canadian ex-pat who founded whalewatching in Samana Bay almost 20 years ago. Her email address is kim.beddall@USA.net or kim.beddall@codetel.net.do. She is also less likely to overload her boat as is too often done by some of the others.

It is safe for you to watch the whales, especially from the deck of one of the big boats, and it is safe for the whales since the captains of those boats are more mindful of the rules than are the small boat captains.

I would not go whalewatching in one of those small boats. The Bay of Samana can get rough in the area where the whales are most likely to be, especially during the winter months. Those small, open boats are not the place to be. Ok in calmer water of the inner bay, but that is not where the whales are most likely to be seen. Also, the captains of these boats have no respect for the whales. For this reason, efforts are underway to prohibit these boats from entering the whalewatching area. Each year the minimun length of boat that can be used for whalewatching increases.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I agree with Ken. It is the tour to go on. I went on a whale watching tour last January with Victoria Marina/Whale Samana and they take every precaution for safety for the passengers and the whales. We went at the beginning of the season and saw a pod of 3 whales. It was an awesome experience. Apparently in February is about the time that most of the whales have arrived to the area and often there can be up to 300 whales at a time. The guides on the tour are very experienced and knowledgeable. It was quite informative! Part of the tour is a stop at Cayo Levantado or 'Bacardi Island'.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
You cant beat the U.S.$50 p.p. price with a stick,it will cost you more to do it on your own.
J.H.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Whale watching

Ken said:
Like Andy B says, go to Samana and see the whales from one of the big boats that leave from the city pier. The company I recommend is Victoria Marina/Whale Samana. The owner, Kim Beddall, is a Canadian ex-pat who founded whalewatching in Samana Bay almost 20 years ago. Her email address is kim.beddall@USA.net or kim.beddall@codetel.net.do. She is also less likely to overload her boat as is too often done by some of the others.

It is safe for you to watch the whales, especially from the deck of one of the big boats, and it is safe for the whales since the captains of those boats are more mindful of the rules than are the small boat captains.

I would not go whalewatching in one of those small boats. The Bay of Samana can get rough in the area where the whales are most likely to be, especially during the winter months. Those small, open boats are not the place to be. Ok in calmer water of the inner bay, but that is not where the whales are most likely to be seen. Also, the captains of these boats have no respect for the whales. For this reason, efforts are underway to prohibit these boats from entering the whalewatching area. Each year the minimun length of boat that can be used for whalewatching increases.

Ken, this is getting spooky. I wonder if there is anyone in the DR, known to me, that you don't know. I was talking to Kim's mother on the phone, just before she left for the island. Lilian & I are hoping to get out whale watching within a couple of days of our arrival. The plan is to check with Kim closer to time, re. the probability of whales still being in the bay in early March.

Did you perchance know old John Bancroft from Las Galeras, currently in the Yucatan? Stan.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
why are all of you presuming that the best whalewatching company e.i. Kim Beddall's is included in this all inclusive $ 50.00 package.?? I personally doubt it.
You all advise its a great price on this all inclusive And then you
say they should use Kim's tour. I have never heard you had a choice on those cheapy tours..
This is all new to me, I guess I still have a lot to learn.
I am still checking for my up coming trip.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are absolutely right, Paul. When you sign up with one of the tour companies, you see the whales with whatever captain/company that the tour company has an agreement with. Good chance it won't be Kim Beddall. Coco Tours uses her, I know, and there are others as well. But there are companies with more boats than the one she has and the odds are it will be in one of them. For sure it won't if the entire excursion, including tour, transportation and at least one meal, costs $50.