Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Importing into the DR, FAQ

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Three more comments for you :
    Most of the merchandise that goes into hotels have a racket around it. You have to be able to deal with the person that the hotel, or hotel store deals with. It is kinda like the Mob sometimes.
    And secondly, I think it was MrMike that recently said, there is a book of import duties, it belongs to aduana, they read from it, and they don't tell you what they read. So, you simply have to pay what they say they read in their book. DR-Cafta (if it is ever implemented) should help with cleaning up this system, but I'm beginning to think the DR will never get to implementing the regulations that DR-Cafta requires before implementation. I would suggest to consider your business model very carefully. Also, payment terms - with hotels you're going to be hit with 30 day payment terms and receive actual payment in 90 days.
    Lastly, tourists in the DR currently are mostly All Inclusive based. They don't really walk around and purchase stuff. I had some statistics from someone a while back that the average tourist used to spend something like 80 bucks to buy stuff over a week long holiday, and this number has decreased to something like 36 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Once again Thanks Chris.
    We have studied long & Hard about our proposed business in the DR. We have looked at things carefully, spoken to Dominicans who have businesses, spoken to Canadians, Americans & Brits who have businesses. Bounced ideas off the Hotel owners, accountants, managers & financiers of the hotel where we always stay & all coments are positive.

The customs is always going to be the problem but the Hotel has advised that their customs Broker is very good, so we will no doubt approach him as he comes recommended from people we can trust. We are already asking questions from the DR Embassy in London in an effort to get clarification on the import duty & other costs.

The shops will be a little problem at first as no-one wants to try anything new but as our products get seen more, the more people will want them.

30 day credit accounts often turns to 60, 90 or even 120 day credit accounts, but no second order will be delivered until the first is paid for. The same can be said for the UK, many 30 day accounts are running at 90 days.

We have no big ideas, just a plan, try to set up the business, spend a hard 6 months trying to get it to work, sit back, take stock, do we push on, is it going to happen, can we live off it, do we throw in the towel?

We have an idea, we have some time, we have a lot of contacts, we have some money to risk.

We are also reading just about everything on these forums, picking up tips and knowledge on the way. We don't think we know it all, we regard every comment as constructive, and we think about it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

With that attitude, well, I dare say you may just make it Good Luck!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello.
    I got one question for you:
    If i wanna import 6 jetskis, how much would the tax be?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I'm A Dominican Born U.s. Citizen Interested In Exporting To The Dominican Republic And I Want To Know How Much Capital Is Needed To Begin Exporting Automobile Parts To The Dr? Any Names Of Companies Currently Exporting To The Dr?

Any Response Whether Positive Or Negative Will Be Appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    You can declair a value of 1$ or 25,000$s, customs here will set the value they determine regardless of what you declair.. Cris
    HOW EXTENSIVE WILL CUSTOMS RESEACH THE ACTUAL VALUE OF THE BIKE BEFORE GIVING IT A FACE VALUE.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ship household goods

Pib, I have a few questions.
    I want to send my computer (desktop) and other household goods to Dominican Republic. I am not sure if I need to pay taxes and if yes how much
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuk TUk Taxi for D.R.

I am USA based operation. I import the Thailand tuk tuk taxi here. Since P.R. is a territory to the USA, and I have all credientials for import from other countries, how much trouble will it be to import them there to a established dealer.
    Hope you can help
    Thanks
    roy

Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who may not know it, I haven't been in the international trade business for over two years. My knowledge might be a little rusty and my contacts, well, not much in contact. I would kindly request that Rob closes this thread.

Sorry folks, can't help much. But if you have a question about Dominican cooking, you know where to find me.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910