Riu Bachata and driving puerto plate v punta cana?

renetwk

Jan 17, 2003
www.newenglandrealestate.com
We are heading to Puerto Plata Riu Bachata Feb 7th and any suggestions would be great. Has anyone stay there and have knowledge of what rooms have ocean views?
Also we have always rented a car on our trips and did so in Punta Cana. Is the driving similar in Puerto Plata or worse? We are used to Boston driving!
Its our anniversary and is it possible to get a bottle of champagne? We are not big buffet people and wondering if there are any good restaurants close by to Maimon bay? Thanks!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If you are able to drive in Boston, you will be able to drive here. The rule is: traffic approaches you fast from out of nowhere and from all degrees, make sure you have eyes in the back of your head and sides. Punta Cana advantage is less motochonchos, disadvantage is more gua-guas. Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You should not have any problem driving. the question is why bother? Riu Bachata is a great place, I was just there visiting a couple of friends a few weeks ago. I can't tell you about ocean views, but ask them for one before you go, and get it in writing.

Yes, of course you can get champaign-just about anything you want from California or NY State to Dom Perignon or Chrystal..whatever. You might have to go into Puerto Plata for it, but I am sure it is there. POP is about a 15-20 minute ride into the center of town. From there you can walk around.
IDEA: Get friendly with one of the staff and suggest he tke you into POP to look around, see what is there. (OR, send a PM to BushBaby, and ask if he would be nice enough to help you out.)
And he knows where everything is in POP...

HB, wishing you a happy Anniversary...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Riu Bachata Rooms

Hi renetwk,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Here is some info re: room locations

Ocean views from Bldg 1 East or West and Bldg 3 or 5 facing East. Bldg 1 is three floors; Bldgs 3 & 5 are two floors. Top floors get the best views. West facing will get at least a partial sunset in addition to a view of the Bahia de Maimon and the sports beach.

Buildings 7 & 8 will be the closest to all the activities such as pool,
entertainment and meals but the East end of building 8 might be noisy in the evenings as it is also close to the stage shows.

If you want to request a particular bldg., I would request about two weeks before you leave (anytime now)direct from Maartje Weesendorp Subdirectora Bachata, at: clubhotel.bachata@riu.com

I also have a resort map I can e-mail to you. If you would like one e-mail me at gandrews@accesswave.ca and I will attach it to the reply.

Also, FYI you get full use of all three resorts including the three specialty restaurants (Steak House, Dominican and Mediterranean). And IMHO the buffets are on the high end of the Buffet Expectation scale. Many guests don't bother with the specialty restaurants because of the quality of the buffets.

Have a great trip and Happy Anniversary (we celebrated our 25th at Riu Bachata).

About the champagne, speak with Daniel Quetglas, the resort manager. I will be surprised if they can't help you out.

If you have other questions; e-mail me.

Gregg

Last edited:

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
Cris and I stayed at Riu Bachata first two weeks of December 2002. It's a great place!! (where we met HB for the first time!)Everything said so far here I agree with. Try to get Room 448 .. it's the best! The balcony over looks the pool, the mountains and the ocean! If you snorkel, go to the west end of the beach just below the pagoda ... tons of big fish there, and you can drift easily with the current all the way to the east end of the beach if you want. If you get a chance, please say "hi" to Rafael Noel de la Rosa for us ... he's a bellman, a wonderfull guy. Tell him we will pop in to see him when we come back to DR in December 2003!
If you go to www.virtualtourist.com/keith&cris and print off a picture of Rafael with Keith, and another one Rafael with Cris, and give them to Rafael, I would very much appreciate it. I've been wanting to send him these pics but I understand the mail to DR seldom gets items delivered. I'd owe you a sixpack of Presidente! :)

Last edited:

renetwk

Jan 17, 2003
www.newenglandrealestate.com
Thanks for the info

Thanks all for your help! The room locations are great to know as we prefer the ocean view verses pool and activity!
I was just wondering if the store on the resort may have champagne instead of having to go into POP? Isn't it worth a visit to Sousa and Carbarete? Generally like to go off resort to see some of the country and people.
Also is bringing toys for the kids a good idea?
There are two golf courses..any comment om which one to play?
Thank again for all your responses!