waves in punta cana

travis

Jan 27, 2003
We are headed to punta cana in july. Are there waves at the beaches big enough for boogie boarding? Which hotels are close to the beaches in punta cana with waves? Do the hotels supply boards or do you have to bring your own?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Boogie Boarding

Travis, I am not an expert, what is your idea of wave size for boogie boarding? Then, I may be able to provide an answer for you.

Also, have not seen any of the 'hotels" providing boards. What is usually provided for hire/rent in the area is: wind surfing, sailing, kayaking, motor boating, diving, and para-sailing. Regards, PJT

travis

Jan 27, 2003
I think boogie boarding requires a 4 foot wave. Punta Cana is on the atlantic ocean but I have not seen any evidence that there are waves like Cabarete beaches have to offer.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Travis, let's put it this way. Punta Cana does not normally have 4 foot surf on its beaches . The heavier surf is offshore and is broken up by the shallow reefs before reaching the beach areas. The locations that may have heavy surf at the shoreline are a pain to access and have rock embankments. Regards, PJT

renetwk

Jan 17, 2003
www.newenglandrealestate.com
waves

I spent a week in punta cana last yr and heading to puerto plata next week.
I have not seen one wave that was considered bogieboardable!
I live in NH seacoast where wave are pretty agressive but punta cana is calm calm whenI was there!

travis

Jan 27, 2003
waves

My friends are staying in Iberostar hotel in Punta Cana. I read on one website that El Macao had a beach named Playa Bonita that had big waves. I think this beach is somewhere near Punta Cana but I am not sure. If anyone has been on this beach and knows where it is I would like to know more about it.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Macao is about a 20-30 min drive from the Iberostar resorts. A beautiful scenic location. Has not been spoiled by development yet. It is coming though. It is one of the few locations left in the area having uninhibited access for the public.

Macao has waves that are somewhat bigger than those of Punta Cana / Bavaro. Yet, the swells arriving there are not of the size you want. Most days they are of the 1-2 ft size. When there is a storm, of course they may reach the size you desire. But, then you have to wait for a storm. I have not seen anyone boogie boarding at Macao during my visits in good and bad weather. Regards, PJT