Traveling to Santiago

TJVR

Jan 25, 2003
Greetings:
I'm a former Peace Corps volunteer who lived in the Santiago/Moca area for over two years, albeit 20 years ago. It seems from the posts I have read that not much has changed. I was considering going back next year, with my wife and 2 daughters, to visit some of the people I knew at that time (with whom I have re-established contact). I realize that I'm starting my research early, but time passes quickly, and I would like to investigate as much on-line as possible beforehand. I came across this web site and would like to ask some simple questions:

a. What's a good pension, B&B, hotel, etc. in Santiago that we could use as our base?? My wife and kids have never been to a developing country before so I don't want to shock them too much. Something clean and safe, but not fancy, would work fine.

b. I would like to fly directly into Santiago, but don't know the best route from the NYC area.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
1/2 an answer

b. The BEST route would be the 2 American Airlines non stop flights a day from JFK to STI - one at 10:30 a.m .and one at 10:05 p.m. The latter arrives at 2:42 a.m. so the first one would be a trifle easier to arrive on.

You can look on Expedia, AA.com etc., for this sort of info.

GNYC

Oct 8, 2002
Continental Airlines also provides service to Santiago from Newark. Departure is 7:10 pm arrival 11:48 pm and rates start at $378.80 per their website.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You would not recognize the Santiago of 20 years ago, nowadays! Man, talk about change.
You fly direct from NYC or Newark to Santiago, or from Miami or Puerto Rico.
There are several nice places to stay, the Aloja Sol is nice and Camp David is beautiful. Aloha is in the middle of town and Camp David is on a hill overlooking the entire valley. Youcan see from Moca to Mao from up there.
This area has a few things that might be developing but there is so much hussle and bussle that you might not notice it. the level of sophistication is incredible. Of course, everything costs more here thanthere, butit is available here.
By the time you fly in here I am pretty sure that Delta will be here too. Keep checking.

Moca? Not even close. Just the center of town is the same. Everything else is New York City modern. As in: I went to NYC, got money and now I AM BACK, SEE??? Ugliest houses you can imagine. But they are big and have dishes on the roof...

HB, ex PCV, 62-64

TJVR

Jan 25, 2003
HB: I've read a post recently where the Camp David Ranch was discussed by someone you assisted. From the brief comments I read, it sounded pretty nice. Can you tell me more about it. Where is it?? What kind of amenities? How long has it been around ?? How much per night/week??? Would publicos be available from the airport?? Any other info would be appreciated??? Thanks. TJVR Ex-PVC 76-79

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
You be arribing in what use o be Licey abajo o la Chiva cross the Licey River, that where the new airport is at. The Santiago city line has taken over he whole of Licey, San Antonio, Punal, etc. the ciy line between Santiago and Tanborril is the road El Cruzes de Don Pedro. The growth in this area by Moca has been an explotion. The population explotion has also hit hard, most are young, under 20. Tradiions been update a bit but not too much.