bus schedule: Puerto Plata -> Las Terrenas

ejpopke

Jan 29, 2003
Hi all-
a friend and I will be landing in Puerta Plata on a Saturday (12:30 pm) with the goal of reaching Las Terrenas by Sunday. Does anyone have a weekend bus schedule (metro or caribe?) for the route between Puerta Plata and the Samana Peninsula? Can we even catch a metro or caribe bus from Puerta Plata or will we need to get to cabarete? sousa? Are the Gua Guas a better option?

Any advice that you can offer is appeciated.

Thank from a first-time visitor-

jon

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A Caribe Tour bus leaves Puerto Plata for Samana at 7 am, 7 days a week. The town before Samana is Sanchez. Get off there, and take other transportation that will be meeting the bus to get to Las Terrenas. The vehicle from Sanchez to Las Terrenas will likely be a pickup truck or a van.

ejpopke

Jan 29, 2003
Thanks Ken. We'll plan to catch the Carib bus to Sanchez. (Gua Guas or Publicos from there i suppose...)

Thanks again.

Cyd

Sep 11, 2003
Puerto Plata to Sanchez

I'm resurrecting this thread almost a year later to see if anyone can give me advice on this bus for February 2004. I'm arriving at Puerto Plata on Saturday at 11am but would really like to make it to Las Terrenas that day if possible. Is there only one bus daily from Puerto Plata to Sanchez? If so, would taxis/guaguas be incredibly expensive for that trip?

Also, I need to make the return trip the following Saturday. Can anyone tell me the schedule for that route?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cyd

Cyd

Sep 11, 2003
well, I should have looked harder!

After another search, I found a recent response by Ken about Carib tours only having one bus a day. Okay, so I guess I'll spend the night in Puerto Plata.

But I'm still in need of advice about the return. Can anyone tell me what time the bus leaves Sanchez to return to Puerto Plata?

Thanks!
Cyd

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Cyd,
The afternoon Caribe Tours bus leaves Samana daily at 4pm and passes through Sanchez about 4:30. The Caribe Tours bus station in Sanchez is now located on the main highway by Ondina's restaurant. Be there no later than 4:15pm.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does a caribetour bus still run from sousa to Samana?
I don't know if they do or not.
Here's the scoop.
The Caribe Tours bus to Samana was cancelled years ago, leaving only a 6 AM and 7 AM departure from the Sosua police station on a half bus, known as the maroon bus for Samana.
Then, some time ago, I remember a thread about the local transport boys kicking up a storm about Caribe Tours starting a North coast route again, presumably to Samana, with a bus depot in Cabarete.
I never found out the end result, and their website below does show a schedule for Samana, so I suggest you phone them and find out.

Caribe Tours C. Por A.

Saman? 7:00 8:30 10:00 AM and 1:00 2:30 4:00 PM

Sosua 531-3808

Puerto Plata 586-4544

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
heading to Las Galeras

well i was wondering if anyone figured this out, i am heading to Samana on the 16th (couple of days) and im in Puerto Plata, someone told me a bus comes by the hospital in PP at 6am or 7am, but noone seems to really know, anyone done this recently? if so please let me know what to do, otherwise this could get interesting.

thanks in advance!!

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
i think i got it

ok i talked to someone who seemed knowedable, she said the bus leaves at 6am from the hospital in Puerto Plata, she also said u can take gua gua's from PP, (just about anytime) if u get the right ones its about 3 stops. Hope that helps someone.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ok i talked to someone who seemed knowedable, she said the bus leaves at 6am from the hospital in Puerto Plata, she also said u can take gua gua's from PP, (just about anytime) if u get the right ones its about 3 stops. Hope that helps someone.
There are certainly some early busses going direct, as one leaves Sosua at 6 AM and another at 7 AM, but as far as guaguas go, don't even think about it.
It wouldn't be 3 stops, it would be more like 300.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Just as an FYI (I know the 16th has come and gone)...the bus does leave from in front of the hospital...we took it just recently...but beware and get there early! We arrived at 05h30 and they departed at 05h40. Also, Angel who collects the $$ will try charge gringo's more than the RD$150 rate up to Sanchez!;) Hope this helps future travellers.
PS There is a brief pit stop in Nagua.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Just as an FYI (I know the 16th has come and gone)...the bus does leave from in front of the hospital...we took it just recently...but beware and get there early! We arrived at 05h30 and they departed at 05h40. Also, Angel who collects the $$ will try charge gringo's more than the RD$150 rate up to Sanchez!;) Hope this helps future travellers. PS There is a brief pit stop in Nagua.

. . . and for the record if you plan on picking it up further down the road -- avoid relying on it to travel on a friday, or the day before a national holiday. The little purple bus then can be seen bulging at the seams and can be "full" by the time it reaches Sosua.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I hear you...we headed up on a weekday and there had to have been at least 5 people standing by the time we reached Cabarete.

svesve

Nov 4, 2007
anybody knows then if there is a caribe coach at the moment from samana to Puerto plata/or sosua? (and the times of departure please?)
sve

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
anybody knows then if there is a caribe coach at the moment from samana to Puerto plata/or sosua? (and the times of departure please?)
sve

Caribe tours only goes from Samana to SDQ. If you want to go to POP or Sosua, go with the "little purple bus". It passes through Sanchez at approx 11am so it would depart from Samana a short time before.

intrepid

Dec 13, 2007
the bus from puerto plata to samana (little purple bus), does anyone know about the baggage and seating situation by the time it reaches sosua?
my wife and i are contemplating taking it, along with our 2 year old daugther, from sosua to sanchez on a (non-holiday) tuesday.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
the bus from puerto plata to samana (little purple bus), does anyone know about the baggage and seating situation by the time it reaches sosua?
my wife and i are contemplating taking it, along with our 2 year old daugther, from sosua to sanchez on a (non-holiday) tuesday.

I guess it is really unpredictable! We left on a Tues am (not a holiday) and although I was drifting in and out of sleep by the time we reached Sosua;), I awoke in Cabarete and people were already standing which could be tricky for you guys travellling with a toddler.

While there is no real baggage "allowance", all baggage is placed on the bus and NOT stowed underneath...I know they tried to charge 1 couple more who had oversized baggage.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.