Gifts to bring for locals

JudyM

Jan 31, 2003
I would like to bring some gifts for the local residents. Any suggestions?

Also, the reservation clerk at our hotel has been extremely helpful and I would like to bring her something that she would not normally be able to readily get in the DR. She is 19 years old.

Any suggestions.

Thanks so much.
Judy

WendyPavo

Dec 13, 2002
Judy,
Can you further expand on where you'll be vacationing and who it is you would like to bring gifts for?
If you'll be in the Santo Domingo area, it's hard to suggest a gift, as the people in the area have access to almost anything they want (so long as they can afford it).
If you have any desire to bring gifts for local children, Outback Safari (a local excursion company) has a wonderful charitable program (as well as great tour of the country-side)!! They accept gifts, school supplies, and money for the schools/school children of the country-side. As a former employee of the company, I can personally vouch for the fact that all donations are in-fact delivered to the children, and that the children of the country-side are by far the neediest!! Items such as pencils, markers, brightly colored art paper, toys, etc., are all greatly appreciated (candy and food, are usually frowned upon). This is the Web site link for Outback Safari (if your interested in finding out more about their program):
http://www.outbacksafari.com.do/

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hello Judy

For the kids of friends and family, Candy!
You know those bags with the Fun Size, candy bars( we used to buy them to give out at Halloween). The younger kids LOVE Chocolate Candy !

For adults, if they drink, Johnny Walker Red, is thought of very well as a gift. Get that at the Duty Free Shop, in the Airport on your way out of the States.

If not good with that.
VCR Tapes of some New Releases. I buy the previously viewed one's at Block Buster Video, back home ( you get tons of them for the price of a few new ones). Yes in English, I can never bring enough of those, when I make my trips.

For the 19 year old ?????
A Visa to the U.S.-----I'm just kidding. But you could bring me, 1 pound of $ 100. dollar bills.

It's Friday, 4pm time to go home.

Good Luck on your trip. And have Fun!!!

Tim H.
:cool:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
A very nice gift in the land of power outages, for anyone except children, is LED keychain flashlights.

Very efficient, even regulated for uniform brightness, they last as long as 50 hours on the already installed camera type batteries.

Some of them come with neck strings and are waterproof for accidental dunking.

JudyM

Jan 31, 2003
Thanks to you all...

Wow! What a great board. Thanks everyone for your quick response. It is greatly appreciated.

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
If you are going to give the kids candy, please also give each child a voucher for approximately $100US payable to the dentist that they likely won't be able to get to, but will desperately need!

JudyM

Jan 31, 2003
No Candy....

Not to worry. I would never, ever bring candy to the children. It's bad enough getting affordable dentistry here!

I plan on bringing pencils and sharpener, crayons and colouring books and whatever else looks great at the Dollar Store!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
If it's for a 19 year old girl, I say bring music that is popular here, a mixed tape, with the latest hip hop, reggae, r&b, rock. They love new music from the U.S or Canada of any type. Anything like makeup and nail polish is also cool. Try a nice journal and pens too. You always need writing paper!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Judy,
Some 2 months ago we had a thread on just this subject - I think MommaC started it - & there were numerous "Packages" suggested. Try the archives for it - I am sure you will find it enlightening!!
My suggestion for the reception clerk who has been helping you is some Reasonably good Perfume!! Normally goes down a treat with those we give it to. For the children, try colouring books & pencils!! PLEASE try to get to the recipients yourself - see their smiles of appreciation yourself & it will warm your heart greatly!!! If you are coming to the Puerto Plata area, let me know & I will take you to a barrio where these things are greatly in need AND appreciated!! - Grahame.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Sorry my brain was on shutdown, go-home, mode. when I wrote the 1st post.

For the 19 year old.

Portable CD player.
The real small one that hangs around your neck, or fits in your purse, and comes with the rechargable batteries and charger.
Regular batteries are VERY exspensive here!
The CD walkman's, are SOOOOOO expensive here.
1 that goes for about $ 80. back in the U.S., will go for 2 to 3 times that amount here.
Teens love their music.

Thanks
Tim H.

Dec 9, 2002
Some 2 months ago we had a thread on just this subject - I think MommaC started it - & there were numerous "Packages" suggested.
The thread is called "It's about time......." and you'll find it in the General Forum. It's full of great ideas which you will find very useful.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ok...I'm bringing a couple of "care packages"...what's the deal in costums once you're at the airport?
I've never brought anything other than my clothes before...never been asked to open my suitcase when I arrived...only once, leaving from POP did they confiscate my hair setting spray and some gel in a spray bottle...
I need advice here...I'm a "chicken" when it comes to dealing with things like this...
Of course, I could always flash my sweet innocent smile at them Dominicans...seems to work eveytime!
Let me know!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just bring what you want. But do not exagerate-like 80 pair of panty hose or 5 dozen nylon panties.. A few of anything will be fine. No 30" TVs or huge Boomboxes....No 150 CD collection of Miami Nice 98.5 FM music. Just be cool and bring what you want.

Chocolate is always appreciated..

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Check the archives MusicQueen, "She that must be Obeyed" has the first option on all chocolates brought into this country - I am always asking friends to bring that (& pipe tobacco for me) down!!

Antone wanting help distributing their "Gifts" to the local barrios in the Puerto Plata area, just let me know & I will pick you up from your hotel, drive you to a house for the general distribution, & then back to your hotel (or town) afterwards.

Re customs - don't worry about bringing general stuff in, you won't get stopped for that. Generally speaking, if you look what you are, A TOURIST, you won't get stopped for a search. Just walk towards the exit chatting fervently to your partner or friend & you will be outside in the sun in moments!! If you DO get stopped, everything is for your own holiday use anyway!!!!! Yes, a little bit of confidence & a B I G smile go a long way to getting you through un-checked too!! - Grahame.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Grahame, I will take you up on your offer of "distribution services" in Puerto Plata. I plan to bring a care package each for a local school and free clinic. We have an organization here who may be able to give me more than just the "normal" contribution for the medical clinic. They said something about syringes, but I wonder if that might not be a little risky. What do you think? I don't want to get in a tangle at customs.

Feel free to email or PM me with how to contact you when I arrrive (Feb. 18-25) and what day during that time would be most convenient for you.

Thanks a bunch for the offer! :)

Tondra

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Tondra...

Two years ago, I brought three large suitcases of medical supplies to the D.R., including many boxes of syringes. I got by no problem, but that was before 9/11. You may have some troubles if your bags get searched, but the worst that can happen is they get confiscated. There is no harm in trying!

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
For the kids i agree on the flashy things like optic fiber glow keychains, they are inexpensive and there are none here, around 1.50 us.
For the 19 year old, bring her the thiniest phone, cellulars drive dominicans crazy !