Santo Domingo - Las Terrenas

rguber

Jan 31, 2003
We are arriving on a Friday afternoon at 3 pm to Santo Domingo and trying to get to Las Terrenas that evening. We were informed that the last bus is at 4 and we are unlikely to make it. Does anyone know of another way to get there - although we have pretty limited spanish, we are hearty travelers and have done a good deal of hitchhiking and are open to using all types of transport (as long as it isn't too expensive)

Thanks!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Look into chartering a plane from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas. There is a small airstrip there. It doesn't have lights, so you would need to land while it is still light. You didn't say how many in your party, but if there are several, it shouldn't be too expensive on a per person basis. Your other option if you must get there the same day is to take a taxi. Not sure of the cost, but I estimate around US$100.

Arriving that late in the day, hitchhiking should not be considered. Driving at night in this country is hazardous due to the drunks, cows, etc., on the highway. Consequently residents don't drive at night unless they have a compelling reason. You would be putting yourself at risk. I don't think you realize how far you must go.

Why not take a room for the night in Santo Domingo, see something of the city, and get one of the morning buses to Samana. Either Caribe Tour or Metro will take you there. Get off in Sanchez, the town before Samana, and take the transportation that meets the bus to transport people like yourself going to Las Terrenas.

If you decide to stay overnight, the Board can suggest places to stay that aren't expensive.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
We live in Santo Domingo but just went for the first time to Samana this week. Ken is right. It is a pretty long trip and it isn't exactly interstate-we are pretty good with directions and still made two wrong turns. It really isn't that far as the crow flies, but there isn't a direct route yet from Santo Domingo. It is an interesting drive though. You would enjoy it much more after a nights rest in Santo Domingo or even Santiago which is about two hours from Santo Domingo.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Santiago is way out of the way to Samana and Las Teranas...

Visit Amigos Restaurant and Bar in Las Terenas and say hello to Michael and Ted. Brit and a Cannuck that will be glad to show you around and tell you about the town. Tell them that Escott sent you. Decent meal there as well.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
The shortest way by car is to Piedra Blanca on the main road going north to Puerto Plata, Cotui, Nagua, Sanches and then my favourite road in the country, Sanches to Las Terrenas. It used to be "regular" flights from Herrera to El Portillo, around USD 50 pp a few years ago (don't know the price today).

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
PM me, I will be in Las Terrenas

PM me, I will be in Las Terrenas on about same time. best advice:stay in Santo Domingo for the night and the next day take the 7:00 a.m. bus to Samana and get off at Sanchez where you could get a ride to Las Terrenas from the many drivers in need of a few $.
Good luck,
J.T.