Is DR POP a good place to go for a single guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser2368

Jan 31, 2003
Im heading down do POP RUI BACHATA in early March, is there much to do for a single guy or is this resort more for couples?
any general information about the Bachata would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

POPGrl

Oct 30, 2002
You will have fun no matter where you go in the Dominican Republic. If you make friends with other tourists at the hotel, you have more people to go out with. Have fun! :)

Laser2368

Jan 31, 2003
Thank you POPGrl, I'm sure I will have a good time, this is my third trip to DR in 11 months so I am aware of how beautiful the country and people are. It is my destination of choice thats for sure. I have been reading that the Bachata was a real family enviroment with more couples and kids then anything else.
I guess being more specific with my question might have helped, lol
Is Bachata a good resort? is it near towns with night life? as I don't want to be isolated to the resort.
Also I've been offered by the resort workers to go out on the town, but my spanish is very weak,. would you recommend taking them up on this offer or go it alone?
Well thank you again for your reply,.. take care :)

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Most resort workers are very bi-lingual.
They know the local scene Very well.
And if anything bad happened to you, they would lose their jobs.
(they look the other way, unless there is trouble)
Most resorts have rules against employees hanging out with guests.
I would make sure if you go out with them, do it with more than 1 or 2, the first time.
Let somebody else know, who is not going with you.

Tim H.

NewtoDR

Nov 23, 2002
I found Sosua to be better for a Single guy than two trips to Playa Dorado, you meet alot more people, both expats and Dominicans. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time at Playa Dorado but more so at Sosua.

To each his own as far as AI's go

Laser2368

Jan 31, 2003
Thanks for the info all,.. a few terms im not familure with:
AI's? , expats? and is Sosua near POP that I can get there?
I'm not looking for a working girl, but am interested in meeting a Dominican women,.. this is my first trip down being recently single and really liked what I've seen in past trips. :)
Brushing up on my Spanish as we speak!
Thank you

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sosua is 8 minutes from POP Airport. Playa Dorada is further away. Most of the gals in Sosua you will meet are working girls. Same with Puerto Plata.

Expats are foreigners (US CANNUCKS ETC) that live in the DR. Cant remember your other questions but enjoy and have fun. To meet a straight woman pick up a teller in a bank and maybe she wont be a semi pro.

AI is all inclusive

Last edited:

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
laser

You will have no problem finding women, they are all over the place. But come on, you aren't just looking for a nice woman to settle with. You want a woman who doesn't work the street all the time and will make nice love to you;) If I'm wrong, set me straight then. Dominican women are very beautiful and I never lead them on, and sometimes I take back ones that work at a restaurant or a shop, or sometimes the ladies are just "semi-pros." By the way, an AI is not the way to go for a single traveler, can't bring the women back without paying an arm and a leg, some won't even let you bring a guest in no matter what. Then you have to spend more money for a cabana or hotel on top of that. Have heard of a hotel in Sosua called the Sosua Palace, owner's name is John, where if you can't find any nice girls there are plenty of pretty "hard" working girls hanging around the pool and general area :cool:
dale7(keeping it real)

Last edited:

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
My goodness Dale, does this John person know what you are saying about him and his hotel?

Laser2368

Jan 31, 2003
Thanks for the info all, To Dale7; a nice women that will make nice love to me? lol Absolutely! Isn't that what we're all looking for? But yes looking for a nice women to settle with too.
I will have to look into that Sosua Palace for my next trip down, the AI's have there positive and negative sides, but not enough interaction with the locals for me.

Thanks again

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Yes, Arturo to your question

I will never spread anything that would be not be in good taste or not wanted. Lighten up Arturo, the webpage for the hotel declares suites for adventurous male travelers and I have heard from a couple of people I know that the hotel is nice and they have been encouraged by the owner if satisfied to post their experiences on various websites and by word of mouth. So nothing I am saying is slanderous or malicious. I also will never post pictures if I tell someone they are just for me. Understand. Laser, pm me and I will give you the email/webpage if you want.
dale7l

Last edited:

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
one search for Sosua Palace and this is what I found:

Sosua Palace Hotel
Web Site: http://www.fantasyislandadventures.com/SosuaPalace.html
Email:thepalacesosua1@hotmail.com
Phone Cell: 809-889-4659
Owner/Manager: John Minelli
The Sosua Place Hotel is a small hotel made up of eight luxury suites that carter to the sex traveler. The rate for a private suite here is $50 U.S. per night and it is located about 15 minutes from the airport. You will always find between 4 to 6 house girls here to entertain you, the fee is set at 800 pesos or less than $50 dollars U.S. for the services of the house girls here. No problem if you want to bring in your own girls. Or just take to the owner manager John more than willing to help with any request. The Hotel is near the Europa Hotel and within walking distance of markets, restaurants, bars with working girls and lots of action. Although the girls at the hotel are very nice and willing to do any request so no reason to pickup outside girls.

Not surprised to see this....

Edwin

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Laser2368:

I will be at the Riu Bachata from Feb. 14-17...

I'm also single...but have been to DR enough times that I made some friends, and I also speak spanish fluently...

I will let you know if the hotel is appropiate for a single guy upon my return...look for a full report and pics!

Can't wait!!!

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
old link this is the one

www.sosuapalace.com, Never been there but I hear it is good for point and click action and more than 8 rooms now, been expanded with pool and hot tubs. Personally I like the thrill of the chase;) and more to a trip than just nightlife and women. I must not be feeling well tonite, lol.
dale7(winter blues)

Laser2368

Jan 31, 2003
Thanks again all,
with little over a month to go, im sure as a single guy I will be able to find amusement, And Musicqueen I will be waiting to hear what you thought of the place.
Also are there any sites that I should see while in POP, or places you recommend to go locally to that area, you know the worlds biggest ball of yarn,.. etc (maybe a little more amusing then that,..LOL)

Either way, thanks again all

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Riu Bachata

Hi Laser2368,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Spent a week at Riu Bachata in Sept. 2002 and two weeks at Riu Mambo in April 2001 when Riu Bachata was being constructed. The Riu complex is a great place for an AI vacation. You will enjoy yourself. Having said that you might not like the makeup of guests; depending on what your expectations are, as it consists mostly of couples and families, not a lot of singles. There are lots of young people but usually as couples. Also the majority of guests are Europeans but the Bachata has proven very popular with Canadians and some Americans.

There is lots to do in the POP area outside the resort and I urge you to get outside the gates to see what the DR is really like. AI's are nice, but not real.

Just to name a few:
- Tourist excursions like Outback Jungle Safari and Freestyle Catamarans (both have websites)
- Take the teleferico up Mount Isabel de Torres to the Botanical gardens.
- Visit the Amber Museum and Fort San Philipe
- Visit the Damagua Falls near Imbert and try your luck at climbing, cascading, etc. through some of the (I think) 23 falls - most people only see 6 or 7.
- Visit Sosua - a great little town with touristy side (El Batey) and a Dominican side (Los Charimicos), separated by a nice beach with lots of vendors.
- Visit Cabarete - another great little town; the centre of DR North Coast wind and wave sports such as windsurfing, kite boarding, surfing and boogie boarding. A younger crowd in this town and an active nightlife.

You can take a taxi (expensive), or hire a driver for the day (expensive for one but very reasonable if the charge is split over 4 or 5 people - the charge will be for the day not per person). If you are interested I can recommend a driver I have used in the past and who I have recommended to others. You can also take public transportation (guaguas or publicos) as they are very inexpensive and frequent. It will be an experience. I would recommend against motoconchos as a means of getting around. It can be considered a contact sport by our standards. Not a good way to end a vacation.

There is a disco at the resort but the more active discos are in Playa Dorada (Crazy Moon is the most popular) or in POP. You could befriend a resort worker and get them to accompany you - they may even show you a local car wash - not like any in North America.

If you would like more info or clarification - send me an e-mail.

Gregg

Laser2368

Jan 31, 2003
2 Days to Go!!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, with two days to go I'm sure the trip will be optimized due to your responses.
One last question,.. I have read about a bar crawl in POP that happens on Mondays, and info on this??

Thanks again,
Rich

PS: I will give details of my trip upon request, if then I could be some help. :cool:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Cafe Cito Pub Crawl

Cut & Paste of a notice I posted on another board.

New for 2003

Tim Hall, Canadian owner of the popular Puerto Plata restaurant Cafe Cito, has organized a twice weekly Pub Crawl along the North Coast of the D.R. It includes bus transportation with stops at Cafe Cito, the Puerto Plata Malecon, the Britannia Pub in Sosua (owned by Canadians Barb and Linden Anderson), Cabarete's spectacular Beach strip and ends back at Cafe Cito.

Paritculars can be found at http://www.popreport.com/PubCrawl/home.html . Just fill in the Reservation / Inquiry form and you will get an e-mail back from Tim with all the specifics.

Sound great to me - how about you?

Gregg

P.S. - Actually Laser 2368 the Pub Crawl happens on Sunday and Thursday evenings/nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.