Jan 20 to 29 Playa Dorado

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Rained, quite heavily for 5 of the days spent there. Golf course was in good shape although closed for 3 days. Los Aromas still best deal @ $20US for 18w/caddie. After first 2 days of rain we shot up to Santiago to play this course on a nice hot sunny day. I used to recomend Los Mangos in Costamber for a warm-up but no more, fairways haven't been cut in weeks. It's only $10US for 9 w/caddie, but in horrible shape.

Stayed at Club on the Green, an AI in PD. Not much to say, just decent food and rooms and- about 50 people in over 300 rooms! My sister stayed in Jack Tar for same days and though it had more tourists it still wasn't busy. Went out 2 nights for dinner on the Malecon-dead! We did get a great meal at Aguacerro, on the Malecon a little before the fort. 4 people- dinner, apps, 16 beers for about $42US.

On Saturday did the Gajudepeliagajera, or "cock fight." I know this isn't for everyone but wanted to do somthing different. Not as bad as I pictured. Had a great time, with fighting in the arena and a merengue band playing in the bar. VERY festive and very LOUD. If it sounds at all interesting, do it, I will again.

Superbowl Sun.- 18 holes at PD and then off to Eddy's in Sosua for the game. $100p at the door got you in and 2 hot dogs and either 2 beers or "Cuba no libre". Full house! Good time with a bunch of rowdy Canadians in Vikings jerseys. Thanks Ed.

Our last night was spent at my friends mother-in-laws house in theLos Sufriedo barrio- during a monsoon. The dirt roads were totally washed out with streams of you -don't-want-to-know running down the street (?). Food was fantastic and after dinner we sat on her porch drinking Presidente Grandes telling jokes, talking about life and watching the rain come down in buckets

One final note. Had the pleasure of an afternoon 18 with the Bushman. The next morning he picked me up at the hotel and did some sightseeing around POP followed by a cool drink and conversation in his muy bonita casa.Also met TOWMBO, a classy lady with a great sense of humor. Anyone thinking of moving to POP should without question talk to this guy. Mucho gracias, Grahame. Talk to you soon!

Last edited:

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Good report Randy. Sounds like you had a good time in spite of the rain.
This is my favourite forum, keep the reports coming.
Art

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I hadn't spent that week in pain, I would be hurt that you came to my territory and didn't call. Next time Randy, Next time.

HB

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Glad to hear you had a good time despite the rain. Gives me encouragement that should it rain when I am there, that it will still be great (even though I don't golf). Sounds like Grahame is quite the "mayor" of POP. Can't wait to meet him.

So, Hillbilly, how close are you to Puerto Plata? Did I hear Sosua?

Tondra

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
HB- will be there the first week in March with nephew in tow. I'll e-mail you and see if we can't get together this time. Open your mail!!