North Coast Tourism

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Read a month or so ago about tourism being up 30% On the north.Where???? Puerto Plata was dead the three nights we went into town. The Sunday night we did Eddy's place walked 2 blocks to use a pay phone and didn't see more than 4 people in any of the other bars. The workers in my hotel said this whole winter has been very slow. Is everyone going to Punta Cana? What a shame, this area has so much to offer. People- get off your asses and get out to see this amazing country!!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I was in sosua this Janurary and last Janurary and there is no way that tourism is up 30% this year unless all the tourists are staying in their hotel rooms.Sosua is dead.
Larry

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
What they actually said is tourism was up 30% from this time last year. Its still way down from other years prior. Its raining again today and I just got off the phone with my girlfriend who works at a bar in Sosua. She was there alone and had three customers all day.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris, other than Isbela, you aren't missing much. The Sosua-Puerto Plata area has had rain what seems like 3-4 days a week since first of year. Most times, just in this area. Santiago, Santo Domingo, even Samana, are dry.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Randy,
Nice to see you got back safely. Thanks for the thumbs-up for the North Coast - we enjoyed having your party up here. Don't leave it too long before we swing a few clubs round our heads again!!!

Regards - Grahame (& from "She that must be Obeyed").

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Chris- was there last year for the same week and this year seemed even slower! Very disturbing. Mr Bush, how 'bout next month? Looks like a return visit first of March, will be a e-mailing.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The weather problem, tondra, is all the bad weather you have been having in the US this year. Many of those weather fronts work their way down this way, causing very unstable weather. Because you have been having worse weather than usual, we have been having more rain than usual.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Raining Cats and Dogs

Rain certainly has affected things in Sosua and Cabarete. You can thank us here up north for those weather systems. Rain or shine though, I'll be down there next week.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Two full days of sunshine behind us from a very wet Cabarete. From the beginning of January, I cannot remember two days without rain. Let's hope for a few more sunny days!

RayNJ

Feb 7, 2003
DR newbie here. Flights booked into PPO for the first week of March 2003. Noticed some on here were talking about the same time period. Any suggestions of where to stay (Sosua? PPO?).
Sounds like the AI are not the place to be...........
I am travelling solo and just want to enjoy a nice beach, cold beer, good companionship, nightlife, etc.
Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
AI has its place but you really wont see much of the real dominican republic while inside one... Take a trip out and around, meet some people and enjoy the local culture...