Pan Am Games

grant_earnshaw

Dec 20, 2002
Could anyone update me on the current state of things relating to the Pan Am Games? Do they still look like being held in Santo Domingo given the financial trouble the organising committee was in? Has the government thrown additional money behind the Games to save them?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look at the daily news and the daily news archives. We regularly cover the Pan Am Games.

grant_earnshaw

Dec 20, 2002
Thanks Robert, unfortunately I do not have access to the news archives and am not really interested in subscribing for this one peice of info.
I was hoping someone could give me an update?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Pan Am fan

As far as I know the games are still on and even the olympic committee says so. Now some venues may have problems conducting games, and if the facilities are not open for some of the venues by some deadline, they will cancel those particular competitions or move them to other countries.

There is also a lot of politics and money deals going on preventing coordination. While the games have problems with some specific sports because of facilities, there are facilities in Santiago that have the capacity to handle those particular games. But the cash enticement and corruption is too tempting and power groups are fighting for position.

These are the most corrupt games ever and the ones with the most incidents. Even the US organization is into the corruption chain of these games.

Green and protected areas have been destroyed to build, Whole neighborhoods have been relocated and their people inconvenienced. There are problems with TV rights. Several enemy camps have developed among the Dominican organizers. You name it, you got.

Brazil is threatening to boycott because of the inferior facilities. And transportation to these games will be the Nightmare on Elm Street. And this will unleash the greatest parade of pick-pockets, muggers and seedy elements ever in a major spectacle in DR.

Expect to pay a ramson for parking and bribes to protect your car from vandalism. Ticket scalpers will swarm to games where Cuba participates. I even suggested to Fidel Castro, if he could hear me, to keep his athletes home, because we have an army of con-men ready to entice his better athletes to defect and seek fortune. He will lose some major figures here.

TW

TW