Post office boxes, fed ex, and mail receipt

diveniks

Feb 3, 2003
What is the best way to receive my mail why I am in the DR(Costambar) for 6 months? Thanks for your help!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not by regular mail. Mail service is very bad at this time.

I would suggest having your mail sent to the address of a family member or close friend, someone who can collect it and send a "package" of mail at whatever interval you decide on. It could be sent to you Fed Ex and, I presume, delivered to and address in Costambar, or (if you are from the US) you could sign up for an account with EPS or Business Mail. In this case, the mail would be sent to an address in the US (for EPS it is in Miami), then brought to the DR by courier. You would need to pick it up from the office of EPS or Business Mail in Puerto Plata. Even in this case you might want the collected and sent periodically for financial reasons. With EPS, it is cheaper for me to get a "package" of mail than to get each item individually.

diveniks

Feb 3, 2003
Thanks Ken...is an EPS an account I open before I leave the states or after I arrive in DR?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Here. There must be an office in Puerto Plata. BushBaby or someone who lives there can give you the details. If not EPS, Business Mail, which is cheaper, those who use it say.

What happens when you sign up with EPS is that you get an EPS number. Any mail sent to that number, even if your name were accidentally ommitted from mail, would go to you at the EPS office where you signed up. You will also be given a PO box in Miami and also a street address, where things weighing more than 2 pounds or anything that must be delivered, such as items carried by UPS should be sent. System works fine. Expensive but cheaper than FedEx. Also very reliable, based on my experience with EPS of more than 15 years.

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
Is there and EPS office in Santo Domingo, or do they provide Service closer to the south side of the island as well?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I use PO Box International and am very pleased with them. They even fought with customs about the duties they charged on my used fax machine. Had to pay but it was better than having it stolen or me having to fight myself.
PO Box gives you a little discount if your refered. If you want a referal just email me.
Oh yea...theres a lady that works there that speaks english which I found to be very helpful.