Ice in drinks ?

keilen

Feb 5, 2003
I have read not to get ice in your drinks. Will be staying at Iberostar Punta cana, is this true about the Ice?

Dec 9, 2002
Whenever I stay at AIs I never have a problem with ice in the drinks, as they use purified water for this anyway. You would probably need to take care though if you are drinking out of the resort.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Most places i have been use purified water for ice BUT when they clean out the ice tray, cups, etc they use tap water and seldom dry or sterilize the item before using it... If you have a particularly sensitive constitution you may have trouble with that.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I would be more worried in the AI hotels than on the streets. Most of the AI make their own ice. If they don't have the budget to change the filters when they should, guess what happens. The bars and restaurants outside buy their ice from specialized companies. Mind you the is a possibility that some bars make their own by putting a bucket of water outside during the night and breaking the ice up into small peices in the morning.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Eddy said:
I would be more worried in the AI hotels than on the streets. Most of the AI make their own ice. If they don't have the budget to change the filters when they should, guess what happens. The bars and restaurants outside buy their ice from specialized companies. Mind you the is a possibility that some bars make their own by putting a bucket of water outside during the night and breaking the ice up into small peices in the morning.

Are you in Montreal now Eddy? lol;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically, not to worry. In the hotels that I have visited, cleanliness is very important as well as hygiene. I have never had problems with water, but remember the hillbilly lives here and drinks tapwater, and has ingested river water in times of need. Who knows what is "down there" ?
But, since pathogens do not ever respect even well cured stomachs, you can be quite at ease in the big hotels.
For your walks out around the area, take a couple of pints of bottled water, drink only fresh coconut 'milk' -always opened in front of you by a machete wielding maniac (Machetes here are called "Coleens"*), never with any ice, it is surprisingly cool anyway, and stay away from "sno-cones".
If you are thirsty, do not eat fresh cut sugar cane, as you will only get thirstier!.

Have fun, I am sure you will..

HB

*Machete= "/kaw-leen/" = Dominican pronunciation of the names "Collins", the factory in Hartford, CT, that makes and exports a huge quantity of machetes to Latin America.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is certainly a diuretic!! Not to be had before a long trip!. It is also ladened with lots of "bad" fats.....clorestoral(sp?)

HB

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You usually will not encounter any problems in the better hotels and resorts with the ice. I have friends that stayed at the Iberostar last year and they suffered no ill effects during and after their last visit and are returning there this month. I do recommend, if and when you do some exploring outside the confines of the hotel/resorts and you enjoy juices, you order them as "jugo puro, sin hielo"; pure juice without ice. Regards, PJT