looking for decent inexpensive hotel in puerto plata

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen

I find it amazing that many people keep recommending Sosua as compared to Puerto Plata. Puerto Plata has it all over Sosua. Sosua has a small community of vocal expats that seem to know it all, but are being taken to the cleaners in the meantime.

For example, there are 3 or 4 communities around Puerto Plata, Costambar and Sosua being two of them that have more Expats living in each than all of Sosua combined. As mentioned today by the "MAINERS", they have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in a gated community for $800 US per month. Jeez, you can have your choice of many houses equal to that in these areas for probably 1/3 per month!. That's almost $20,000.RD per month. Come on. That's probably why all the people that used to be on this board from Costambar and Sosua no longer post. At least 3 of my neighbors used to on all the time and I haven't seen them post in months.

FORGET SOSUA!!!!! UNLESS you enjoy paying more so you can support the Expat's business'

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The previous post was definitely anti-Sosua and anti-expat. No need for it in this forum, save it for the DR Debates forum. The better response should have been the name of an inexpensive hotel.

Badpiece33, I may suggest the Hotel Montesilva, at Av. Luis Ginebra y Calle La Estancia, Puerto Plata, Ph:809-320-0205, Fax: 809-320-0105, I stayed there last year, the cost was about 500 Pesos a night. It is nothing to write home about, the room was adequate and clean with AC and cable. Regards, PJT

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Puerto Plata is a CITY. It isn't a NICE city like Montreal or Boston to walk around in the Summer. It doesn't have the charm of San Francisco, nor the Culture of anyplace. Matter of fact I cant think of many things Puerto Plata has going for it besides better shopping albeit most people I know go to Santiago to shop. It has a crappy beach. It cost 2x as much to get there by cab than to Sosua.

Are there other places besides Sosua? Of course. I like Costambar, Cabarete and I like Confresi as well as Sosua. I made the recommendation because I thought that you would like Sosua more as a single tourist. Maybe Constambar and Confresi more as a couple. Can a single guy get laid in Costambar and Confresi? Of course you can and probably have a decent selection. My post was just to give you what I think is good advice, nothing more and nothing less. My friend had a hotel in Costambar and always asked me to stay there for free. I did only one night when I was going with my Puerto Plata Attorney to S. D. the next morning early to take care of business. I would rather PAY in Sosua than Stay in Puerto Plata for FREE!!!

Unless you go to the all inclusives in Puerto Plata you may as well vacation in Harlem or the South Bronx for all the ammenities it offers. Go one day to Puerto Plata and tell me if I am wrong. It is just a dirty city.

I am NOT an Expat, I do NOT own a business in Sosua. I go there about every other month or more, travel around the country all the time, hook up with various DR1'ers everytime. I had 15 DR1'ers for US Thanksgiving in Sosua. I go to Puerto Plata every trip to do business and to sometimes hang out with friends.

Sosua has a beautiful beach that is lined with Cabanas of people selling trinkets, souveniers, tobacco, beer and food. Half the beach closest in the direction of Puerto Plata is calmed by a reef.
The town is full of bars, restaurants and clubs. It is close to Cabarete which is a must see if you are in the area. Famous for Kite and Wind Surfing and has a beach lined with restaurants and clubs.

I am leaving in 2 weeks to go to Costa Rica. I will be in Sosua for Samana Santa. I am in Woodstock NY now as I type.

Mainer moved into a real nice complex right on the beach with many ammenities that are NOT available in Puerto Plata. I cant even believe the sillyness of that post because it is not based on fact at all. Did she overpay? I don't even know but she got what SHE was looking for with a family.

You can rent a 2 bedroom Condo at Coconut Palms for 325- per month. Is it less than 800 a month, yes, is it a better value, I do not know.

Oh well have a good time when you get there and let us ALL know what you thought of all the different places.

Status
Not open for further replies.