Road trip

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
I would like some information about renting a descent motorcycle in the Sosua area for an upcoming road trip. My plan is to go through Santiago,on to Jarabacoa, then to Samana through San Francisco. Basically a small circle.
It would be great to hear from anyone who has taken this type of journey lately as I would also welcome any up to date info on places to stay. It would also be nice to know approximate distances and how long this will take since I am unfamiliar with these roads.
Please spare me all the " You are crazy " warnings. This will be my fourth trip to the DR and last year I rode along the north coast from Sosua to Las terrenas on a DT125. I did have alot of mechanicle problems though and would like to avoid that this time if possible. Thanks in advance Dale

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
How about an "ascent" motorcycle? That way you'll get to heaven a lot quicker....
Trip is a good one and should be fun. Good luck

HB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Damn Yankee

That sounds like a good trip man.I dont think you can get the Bike in sosua though.I do think there is a rental place in nearby Cabarete.I think Johnny Honda is the man to ask.
Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sosua (or therabouts) to Jarabacoa
(1) If you go by Jamao, come out in San Victor , Moca, take a left and follow the signs (?) to the Duarte Highway, take a left on Duarte Hwy, and then to Jarabacoa, getting off Duarte Hwy when you see the 5 smokestacks, up the hill to Jarabacoa: 2 hours 15 minutes.
(2) If you go towards POP and take the Tourist Highway (Carretera Luperon) where the the cane fields end and two roads come together, you turn left. Comes down into Santiago. Follow that road to the intersection where you see a big HACHE sign (Second or third Traffic light) A MAJOR intersection. Turn left, follow the signs to the Duarte Highway (1:45 min)

Double those times from jarabacoa to Samana.

Your butt will be sore.

HB

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Motorcycles

They rent them right across the street from La Roca (or at least they used to when I lived there) in Sosua.

You may want to do an archive search for renting motorcycles in the DR. Have you been there before? Have you driven there before?

It would be a pretty cool trip, the trick would be making it in one piece. As jazzcom eluded to, it is risky business on two wheels in the DR.

marc

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
DamnYankee, if you do rent,

go the first motorcycle parts store (are everywhere) and buy you at least one (better two, save the xtra in case) spark plugs and install one ( they'll do it for you) right away and throw the old one away. The rental bikes almost always have fouled plugs. This two dollar purchase will greatly enhance your experience, and is a bargain to boot. I have ridden here around 8 years or so and love riding a bike here. Use your common sense and have a blast!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Bring a manual tire pump too.

The smaller the better. Flats are a big problem. But keep it hidden from the locals - they'll all want to borrow it.

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
Kiteman, deffinately one of the best pieces of advise I've gotten. Last summer I rented a DT125 and as soon as I got in the middle of nowhere I fouled a plug. I was even considering getting a tune up for whatever bike I get on this up coming trip. I had alot of mechanicle problems with the last one

Andy, can I purchase a manual tire pump there? I don't know if that will get through on the plane.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
a tune up? you mean you want to ride around on a bike with all the bolts loose? That is assuming they put them all back in the first place...

be sure to ask for the box of unneeded parts when they are done too.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
DamnYankee,

Am I actually allowed to say that without getting challenged, wow...

A mechanically inclined friend of mine says that only junk is sold in the DR.

Yes, you can probably buy a pump at various ferreterias (hardware stores), but it would certainly be more convenient to have it already. Be sure to bring some rubber strips to lash it to the handlebars or wherever. The rubber strips, from a cut up inner tube, for example, will help keep it from rattling - a big problem, believe me. Cover it with some sort of bag both to keep it from rattling and to hide it.

The word for flat is "pincha", pronounced pin-chau. Take note, even write down, these translations in my pidgin Spanish. You may need them.

You may as well have a patch kit, too, although that will be your last line of defense. You'll probably be able to find a tallere (repair shop, pronounced "ti-jer") to fix it, provided that you pump it up a few times enroute. Local, early teen boys with too much time on their hands are attracted to stranded motorcyclists like flies and will be very helpful. By all means, let them handle it while you have a cold one.

You mentioned using a DT125 with fouled plug. Isn't that a 4 stroke (quattro tiempo)? Strange that it would foul the plug that bad.

BTW, don't forget to take a few tools, too - spark plug wrench, wrenches for the axle, pliers, screwdriver. PUT THEM IN YOUR CHECKED BAGS. The airport "security" checkers discriminate against those who try to be prepared.

One final thought. Maybe you should consider a small frame bike like most of the conchos use. That way you can get it thru the doorway to sleep with you and not get stolen. The doors to some of those farmers daughters' bedrooms are pretty narrow.

Wish I could go with you. Sighhhhh...

Let it be noted that I actually helped a yankee. St. Peter, did you write that down in your book?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Are you a Yankee fan, or just from NE?

If you're a Yankee fan, you can go to hell.

If you're from NE, then I just wanted to tell you that I got two pumps through the scanners and all the airport gymnastics with no problem. A stand-up model in checked baggage and a hand one on my carry-on.

Your trip sounds like a blast. Be safe.

p.s. Keep in mind that motoconchos/cycles have no rights on the road. Even a mule carrying dirt on a piece of plywood with wheels isn't going to yield to you, and those are some of the safer vehicles you tend to see on a day to day basis.

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
Thanks alot for all the advice, I will deffinately be more prepared this time.
Cleef, not a Yankees fan, just a proud NE resident (Connecticut )
Looking forward to sleeping in some of those farmers daughters rooms, haha
How do you say " can I crash here in your house instead of hotel " in spanish? lol

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
On the issue of secuity, DamnYankee,

it would be a good idea to bring along a strong bike lock, the kind you can lock to some immoveable object. I'm not sure about now, but a few years ago it was common for some nefarious rental agencies to come to your hotel at night and take (steal) your bike. Then when you reported it stolen, you whould have to pay for it. How did they accomplish this? Simple, when you rented the bike the ask you what hotel you're staying at. Then they take their extra copy of the motorcycle key along with the extra copy of the lock key (remember how they stressed using the lock, many thiefs, etc., what great guys to let you borrow a lock free!!) and slide over to the hotel at night while you are entertaining a new woman friend and liberate your bike. Quite a scam. This was a very popular rip-off technique a few years ago. When I took long trips in the past, I would always take a ground floor room in whatever small hotel and bring my bike inside for the night (like Andy said). I had a DT 125 and could always fit it through the door with a little twisting.
Anyway, have a great trip (I'm jealous, brings back good memories!!!)

P.S. Andy A, a DT 125 is a two stroke (2 cycle) and with cheap two stroke oil, likes to foul plugs.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
DamnYankee

To get your foot in the door, you can "invite" yourself in for coffee, especially early morning. Butter up the grandmother with as much flattery as possible (she'll be serving the coffee). Give her an LED flashlight and a batch of batteries to power whatever else she has. Also, 100 pesos to buy more coffee.

Go back at dusk for more coffee. Tell the family how you plan to take the daughter to Nueba York. Don't forget to carry lots of panties for bait - the smallest size sold - Dominicanas like to imagine that they are slimmer than they are.

Then...at some point start using your own strategy.

Anyway, I'm giving away too many secrets, especially to a yankee.

BTW did you locate your motorcycle friend?

Kiteman: I know all about 2 strokers fouling the plugs so badly that they stop - usually at night on a lonely road in a ladrone-infested area. Maybe the XT is the 4 stroke. Not that I'm knocking 2 strokers (just keep the plugs clean) - they beat getting a hernia from kicking a 4 stroker.

DamnYankee

Feb 9, 2003
Yes, thats pretty much my strategy although I speak very little spanish. . . scratch that, I speak no spanish. You would be suprized how far you can get just being a young American with a smile and a few pesos. I had a lot of fun last year on that north coast highway going to Las Terrenas. Love those roasted peanut things they sell.

I have not been able to locate Joe, and I'm almost possitive some people on this board know who he is.