travelling within DR

aalessard

Feb 10, 2003
We're heading to the Grand Paradise Bavaro in Punta Cana later on this week and are hoping to do some exploring on our own. We were thinking of going to Sabana del Mar by bus/taxi/rental motorcycle and then taking the ferry to Samana. What is the best way to travel and is this a realistic day trip? Any tips on "do it yourself" day trips would be appreciated. Thanks.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Bavaro to Samana by the way of Sabana del Mar is not a realistic day trip, it would take a better part of the day just to go there. I do not know the scheduling of the ferry, therefore it would be a tough guess to coordinate your travel to coincide with the ferry crossing timetable.

The most practical way to travel would be by taxi (costly) to Sabana del Mar from Bavaro, then the passenger ferry to Samana. The overland route you most likely would take would be Bavaro-Higuey-El Seibo-Hato Major-Sabana del Mar. You can take the gua-gua's, buses, they are much cheaper traveling. But, then you are captive to their schedules and routes. Your bus routes would be Bavaro-Higuey, Higuey-Hato Major, Hato Major-Sabana del Mar or Bavaro-Higuey, Higuey-El Seibo, El Seibo-Hato Major, Hato Major-Sabana del Mar. I'm am not sure about this, travel by motorcycle would be OK. up to Sabana del Mar, except I think they would not be accepted for the ferry crossing as I believe the vessel is passenger only. Note: There are other DR1 posters who are more knowledgeable on the ferry matter. This trip you consider is better as two or three day excursion.

A good long day trip to consider would be from Bavaro-Higuey-El Seibo-Miches-Otra Banda-Bavaro. There are cane fields, farms, villages, mountain (very large hills) roads and beaches. Regards, PJT