Name of this flower please

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi jcrian,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but wanted to relate a similar experience I had in Jamaica a number of years ago. We were young(er) travellers and full of questions. We had seen several different types of geckos around the resort and were curious about the proper names. There were also large white birds which sat on cow's back eating flies and ticks from the cow's hides and finally we had seen large fish in a pond in a botanical garden we had visited. Of course we had eagerly inquired of the locals what were the proper names for these animals which enchaced our vacation experience.

Here is the sum of the knowledge we gleaned from our inquiries:

Geckos
One type was brown, one type was green and one type croaked like a frog. Their names were as follows - Brown Lizard; Green Lizard and Croaking Lizard.

White Birds
We were informed that the name of the bird was "White Bird".

Fish
You have probably guessed by now that the fish were called "pond fish".

We came away from our trip with a real respect for the absolute simplicty in which the Jamaican people lived their lives and the total uncomplicatedness (is that a word?) of their existances. BUT THEY WERE HAPPY - much happier than many people we knew back home; even without knowing the animal's names. But then I realized that they did know the names - it was us who were unsatisfied with that degree of knowledge.

The DR is similar for me. Simple, uncomplicated, happy, friendly, outgoing, proud and helpful are just some of the adjectives which come to mind when I think of the Dominican people - and I haven't even begun to touch the absolute physical beauty of this tropical paridise and it's inhabitants. Simply put, the DR I have seen, does it for me and I see no reason (at this stage of my life) to travel anywhere else in the world to spend our vacations.

jcrian, I wish you well in getting your answer, this group is probably one of the best on the internet to be equipped to answer any question (even if obscure, about the DR) but my vote for your answer is "RED FLOWER". I hope you understand - not a smart answer but one from the heart.

Gregg

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Nope! It is not an orchid. It is the Flower from a vine but the name escapes me. I'll ask my wife when she gets back. She is the Botonist in this family

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
No it isn't a flamboyan. I went to see my neighbor's. The flowers look like it but not the leaves.

I give up

Flamboyan
fflamdet.jpg

jcrian

Jan 9, 2003
I like the name Red flower Greg but really wanted something a bit more specific.Your story reminds me when I was in the merchant navy and all seabirds were called 'shitehawks'

An orchid eh? It was growing on a shrub in the hotel we were staying at.

Pib how did you manage to put the picture in the reply?I tried copying and pasting but it didn't work.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I GOT IT!!!!

Cayena is Hibiscus. And no it is not that.

Nasturtium Majus Mahogany Jewel

A small schrub like vine. Common to the Caribbean. Family of the Nasturtium that grows in California to Alaska.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
It has classic nasturtium leaves (like dinner plates.) Pib, take note: the ones I grow are edible (both flower and leaves) and make a lovely garnish...

Tony C. could you ask your wife if these are also edible?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Thanks for the info Tony. :)

To jcrian:
To add a picture click on post reply, click on the IMG button, follow instructions. The site you linked will not let you upload their pictures (hotlink) though.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Orquidia de Pobre

It is not orchid, a vine, a cayena or a Flamboyant and certainly not a Nasturtium Majus Mahogany Jewel.

Locally it is known as an Orquidia de Pobre which means poor persons Orchid. It is also known as Pata de Vaca which means Cows Hoof because of the shape of the leaves. In English it is known as a Red Bauhinia or Orchid Tree. The leaves are more distinguisable than the flower. There are also pink and white flowering varieties. The pink variety is very common in Santo Domingo.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
At least my wife got the Nasturtium part right.

In her defense I must say that she is more into Bromeliads, Orchids and annuals.
I, on the other hand, am more into Palms and Grasses.