Santo Domingo bars/discos

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Hey all,
I am heading for the DR the 25th and would like some help. I am looking for "non"-touristy discos/bars that you recommend that cater to the younger crowd. I have already been to the Cave Disco didn't like that, and a few I did like in the Colonial Zone but wouldn't know how to get to those two or three local bars if I tried, I went with some locals I met and I would never had known that they were bars because all I could hear was music from the outside. Too many Presidentes may be the culprit for that. ;) I want real local bars/discos, not the Jaragua(Jubilee bar) nor any "women of the night" places. I would love to walk in and be one of the only Tourists there. I was given a few names of places and I thought I would run them by you all: La Torre, O'disc, and Metropoli. Anyone know anything about these places? I am exploring the island this trip, BC for 2 days, Santo Domingo for 3 days, and heading up to Santiago and the surrounding area for the rest of my stay. I would love to hear some feedback from someone because I am going to try to experience real Dominican culture and practice my Spanish I have been taking in college since I plan on moving there in a few years. Thanks all for any help you can give.
dale7(thanks)

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Try Kareoke right behind parkeo bar, but I'll have to get back to you on the addess since by the time I get there, I have no notion of time or space. :) Also, there's Trios Cafe. Both are in SD. Ahhhh and if you want to go to a really crazy place, go to the street parallel to the Alcazar de Colon to a place called parada 77. But be forewarned, it isn't one of those pretty places, fun though. :)
Amber

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Parkeo Bar in on the southwest corner of Tiradentes and Roberto Pastoriza. Trio is on Lincoln where Calle Paseo de los Locutores ends. Plaza Catalu?a ground floor.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
S-Bar - Zona Colonial, Padre Billini con Sanchez caters to a young crowd but there will be a good mix of Dominicans and foreigners (not all tourists though). To go to a real local place get a Dominican friend to take you to any bar/disco outside the main tourist areas. I remember on my first visit here wanting to go where 'the people' go and ending up being taken to sterile airconditioned clubs like Jet Set, exactly the opposite of what I was looking for.

Have fun.

Chiri

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Take a taxi to Avenida Venezuela. There are a ton of local clubs there, that rarely see gringos. There are also a few on San Vincente De Paul, which is not very far from Venezuela.

On Venezuela, Eclipse is cool, Latinos is more "local", but you could just walk the avenue and go from bar to bar.

If you want rea "local", go on sunday afternoon/evening to Mundo Center, it is out by the Airport, begind the overpass.

I would offer to show you around, but am most likely heading to Santiago around that time.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you are in the St Vicente de Paul area don't miss El Monumento al Son, especially if you like traditional Cuban son. It's not a young crowd but it's a place where you will see some fabulous dancing and will not be deterred from trying it out yourself, and you won't regret it even if your dancing partner is twice your age and weight!

El Sart?n in the Zona Colonial (C Hostos, nr El Conde) is a small-scale version but plays a more diverse selection of Latin music. I forgot to mention the first time El Mes?n de Bari also on C Hostos which is always lively. The younger clientele tend to take over on Saturday nights.

Chiri

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Thank you all

I really appreciate all this information and there are so many places I won't be able to get to them all. I definitely will check out Avenida Venezuela and St. Vincente de Paul because there seem to be numerous places there. I know I will have a great time and I am sure I will meet many nice people. Who knows maybe my dancing will improve, lol.
dale7(thanks all)
Howard

GHABG

Oct 8, 2002
on Avenida Venezuela

since you're going to be in that area (good idea for non-touristy flavor) also check out Cantabar. It's a karoake (sp?) that rocks. It is located across from the Burger King and the cinema.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
do they award prizes for Karaoke like in the US

I am curious about that, I like Karaoke and I have won a couple of contests before for cash prizes at bars. Do they do that here? I know this should be under a new thread but I thought I would ask anyways. I don't think I could even compete because I usually do Savage Garden for Karaoke and I don't know if that music will even be available or is even liked that much, or is typically just Spanish songs. If someone knows, please let me know. Nothing like having a few drinks and getting up the liquid courage to belt out a few songs, lol.;)
dale7(less than 139 hours, yee haw)

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
El Sarten...I call it the old peoples bar is one of my favs to dance in the Zone. Parado 77 is the best party place. Just walk around Zona Colonial and you'll find many places. But remember most places don't get good til after midnight. So take a nap and head to the "Zone".

Dec 9, 2002
Dale7 - I haven't been to any karaoke bars in in SD so can't really comment about there, but I have been to a few karaoke nights at Hemingways in Playa Dorada. There has always been a mix of local and US/European songs, but I never heard anyone singing Savage Garden. The funny thing is, right now I've got Darren Hayes blasting out!

GHABG

Oct 8, 2002
Hi Dale7.
Sorry for not having replied sooner. It is midterm time. The Cantabar offers, to the best of my knowledge, only spanish language songs. But trust me, if you give your best effort at a bachata tune, you'll be warmly welcomed. Enjoy yourself. AM

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I bet they have "Hotel California" that is the official "play this, we have a gringo here song";-) I remember while in Colombia every bar I went to would play that song for me, . . . . . .over and over. . . . . .and over. . . . . . .and over. . . . . .well you get it;-)

jaybeebee

May 29, 2006
Hi there! new today, wondered if anyone can help, I saw a photo of a club called 'The Piano Bar' which was in a converted aeroplane. I have no idea how old the picture was or whether it still exists. Can anyone help? is there a website? Cheers

Jamie

amanacer

Dec 29, 2005
Jan said:
El Sarten...I call it the old peoples bar is one of my favs to dance in the Zone. Parado 77 is the best party place. Just walk around Zona Colonial and you'll find many places. But remember most places don't get good til after midnight. So take a nap and head to the "Zone".

this is post from 2003 but I just wanted to add that Parada 77 is still a great place, had a wonderful time there in May 2006, also El meson de Bari is cool and Nowhere...just an update

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Parado 77

amanacer said:
this is post from 2003 but I just wanted to add that Parada 77 is still a great place, had a wonderful time there in May 2006, also El meson de Bari is cool and Nowhere...just an update

where is Parado 77 located in Colonial????
bob

ambre

Feb 2, 2006
Cuban Son

Chirimoya said:
If you are in the St Vicente de Paul area don't miss El Monumento al Son, especially if you like traditional Cuban son. It's not a young crowd but it's a place where you will see some fabulous dancing and will not be deterred from trying it out yourself, and you won't regret it even if your dancing partner is twice your age and weight!

El Sart?n in the Zona Colonial (C Hostos, nr El Conde) is a small-scale version but plays a more diverse selection of Latin music. I forgot to mention the first time El Mes?n de Bari also on C Hostos which is always lively. The younger clientele tend to take over on Saturday nights.

Chiri

Hi - I love Cuban son - where is this place located at?