Dominican Blues...

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
that's the name my daughter has for whatever this feeling is that starts even before you leave the airport and you can't shake off for a while after you get back to your daily routine!!!

Ok...let's see if I can write something somewhat coherent about my latest "adventure in Paradise"...

Pretty much Thursday is what Timex wrote on another thread...

I can add that the Jaragua is a beautiful hotel, with lots of friendly people around...

So true about the two guys lounging by the pool and listening to the "girls" conversation between Jan, Mrs. Timex and myself!

Speaking of Mrs. Timex...beautiful, sweet and loving woman! Too bad she wasn't feeling too good that night...but I am taking you guys up on that offer to stay with you next time...You can do whatever you want with my return ticket...I really don't care!!!

About Jan...beautiful, funny...the woman has got it all together!

Talk about a guy magnet!!! She's even better than me!!!;)

The reunion was even more fun that I expected...for some reason I thought that the people from DR1 where going to go into long discussions about politics and such...and I had a plan B ready...but we ended up meeting around 7:00 pm as planned and didn't leave until well after 1:00 a.m.!!!

As you will see from the pictures Cleef and OwnRules took...everybody had a lot of fun!!!

I expect "soft" comments from everyone, please!

Jan and Carlos (her Dominican friend) took me to Jet Set...what a dissapointment!! No one around!!! Not even one person!!! I think it was just the owner, one bartender and us three crazies!!!

Carlos (who, by the way is really cute!) was kind enough to dance a couple of merengues with me...and from there we headed to "Fantasy"...not at all what I expected either from Jan's comments...very dark, but lots of fun! Great music!

Friday morning, after having breakfast with Mr. and Mrs. Timex, I get on a cab to go to the Metro Bus station and meet the first of many "proposals". The driver, about as old as my dad, can't stop complimenting me...gave me his card and said whenever I'm back in town to call and he'll take me anywhere I want to go...(Could it have been the turquoise top I was wearing?)

Hop on the bus, like a native, and my eyes can't get enough of the beautiful scenery...It was kind of cold in the bus, good thinking on my part...I just put on my jacket and enjoy the ride to Santiago...

Once there, I called HB and two second later he's there to pick me up...WITH A ROSE IN HIS HANDS!!! What a classy touch!

You've already read his report on my visit, so I won't go there except to say that I was very impressed with the city...and HB and his family...what wonderful people!!!

The guys and gals at the cigar factory also were very nice, they let me take pictures of everything...the owner's daughter made us some good coffee, while I listened to HB speak perfect 'dominican' spanish with the guys...

Like he said on the other post, I did go a little crazy with the bad words when they told me the bus was full, because I didn't want to get to POP too late...it was Valentine's day and I had someone waiting for me...more about that later...but HB took me to the Caribe Tours stop down the block and after a few minutes I was off the the Riu Bachata...

Once I got to POP I saw this gentleman wearing a red and white top and somehow I knew he was waiting for me...I had made plans with Johnny Honda to pick me up from the bus stop to take me to the hotel, but he was busy and couldn't go, so he sent...
BushBaby instead!!!:)

Another fine individual! Actually, here I have to apologize to him for not calling again...my friend took me to his family's house and I ended up giving everything I bought to the kids around the neighborhood and to his family!! I need three suitcases next time!!!

I also never called J.H., sorry about that...you know how it is...not enough hours in the day for everything you want to do while there...

I did call Caribbean George, even went to the hotel where he works, but he wasn't there that night (Sat.) I had dinner with Hector, the Animation Director, whom I had met on my previous trip to POP...and then he took me back to the Bachata...

I am completely off track here...

Let's go back to my arrival at the Riu Bachata...

It was about 6:00 when I checked in...Juan was gracious enough to give me my room even though I had forgotten my voucher here in Miami...(Just took one little wink ;)!)

Rafael, the porter, when he heard my name says...Oh, you're the lady that R.P. (sorry, have to keep that a secret!) is waiting for...very much to my surprise, I didn't know anybody knew I was coming!

I asked him not to tell I had checked in...but of course, somebody did...'cause 1/2 an hour later there was a knock at my door and it was him!!!

I was not finished with my make up yet, and he had to go back to work, so we agreed to meet after the show...

My red outfit was the perfect thing to bring for that night...made a big impression...they assigned me table #60 for my stay...and I met a couple sitting next to me, she Dominican, he Spaniard...

Very much in love...

My knight in shining armour came around half way into dinner time, just to check up on me and see if I needed anything...

After dinner, (hey, I'm not getting into the food, to me it's all good once I'm there!) I go to the theater for the show...he's already on stage "animando"...I find a seat not too close to the front, and get ready to enjoy the show...( yes, it was good)

If you're familiar with AI's you know that afterwards the guys and girls come down to get people to go on stage and do the "club dance" so, of course...this Alex Rodriguez impersonator comes over and takes me onstage...(Yes, Theresa...more on that later!)...his name is Still (I wonder what his mom was thinking?)

We dance merengue, and takes me back to my seat...but I can't even sit down when Thomas asks me to dance...and so on...

Finally I sit, but Thomas doesn't want to go away...out of the corner of my eye I see RP checking me out...and smiling...he knows he can't leave me alone for too long...

He starts walking toward me, and Thomas freaks out...he doesn't know yet...until RP reaches for my hand and takes me away!

That night we went to 6 different clubs from Maimon to Sos?a, the first one was a new one called "Caritidines" or something like that...beautiful place...tons of money invested... sound and lights just like any good club in SoBe...there was a band playing, but they had too much Spanish rock for my taste...so off we go...

We stopped at the Ahmsa Casa Marina and go to the club there, where everyone knew everyone else...RP holding my hand and introducing me everywhere...it was really nice and romantic...me and my dominican "boyfriend" for Valentine's Day!!!

From there to a couple of more small places, one of them outside...where we had a little something to munch on with the owner...and then to the Caribbean High club...

GIRLS...BEWARE...NOT A VERY GOOD PLACE... lots of 'TIGUERES' outside...the music was good, the place is nice...just a little dangerous for my taste and RP noticed I wasn't comfortable so we left...

After that we wanted to go on to Cabarete, but RP's friend Jose Luis said that it might be dead that night, 'cause everyone must be "celebrating"...

So we go back to the hotel...Ok, so we stopped on the way at a place called "Burbujas de Amor"...NO COMMENT!!! (But I LOVED it!!!) I was going to take pictures for you guys...but I thought it was a little too much!

Ok..this is way longer than I expected...be back later with more...

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola MQ!!!!

That was a Fantastic post on your trip.

It was great meeting you in person. Did you get any solid leads??

Happy you made it back OK.

So when are you and Jan, going to get the poolside photos up????

If you don't want to post them because there TOO HOT!!!, send me e-mail, so Mechi can see them.:cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Great report MQ. Can't wait to see all the pictures. Robert is very busy so it might be easier to put them up on www.worldisround.com I think you have used it before. I was wondering what you mean by the High Caribbean being dangerous ? I was there three years ago so maybe it was different back then. What's 'TIGUERES'

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) It was Valentine's Day, fer goodness sake!
2) Thanks for the visit.
3) It was me not JH that got BB to meet you...I couldn't get JH on the phone, and called the best person for the job. BB would never leave a damsel in distress! Now I have JH's contact numbers....
4) No wonder you were so anxious to get to POP!!!

HB

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's called "DR wine"
I wanna go to the DR (you say, whining...)
Great post, MQ.

mk

I wanna go to the DR...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MusicQueen, I am disappointed in your report so far. Compared to last year's report, it is pretty dull reading. Hopefully part 2 is when you will give us the good parts.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ken...I know...you're absolutely right...but the way I feel right now...I can't find the words or the inspiration to write anything as good as last year...

I think I got really 'drunk' this time with this "DR wine"...or whatever it's called!!!

But didn't you like the part about the "burbujas"?

HB...I know it was you that called BB...he told me! Thanks!!!

Anna..."tigueres"...are the 'bad' dominicans...even though I don't consider any of them bad...I love them all!!!

More on the report later...right now I have to call my sweetheart...

Maybe I'll get a little more inspired later...

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
Good to hear from you MQ. It was great to meet you on the flight. Will be posting my "report" soon. ;-)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MusicQueen, I hope when you say that you didn't have the inspiration that you did last year you don't mean you fabricated last year's report. I'd be disallusioned if all those adventures were just a figment of your imagination.

I don't think inspiration is what you lacked when you wrote this year's report. The difference is that last year you came as a swinger, this year you were more settled, more sedate. Last year instead of talking with dr1ers, for example, you were fighting off sankis, or were leading them on with the hope of a payoff that never materialized.

Maybe it is time to retire the MusicQueen board name and adopt a new one more appropriate for the settled-down lady you have become.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
No, Ken...the adventures of last year's trip are very much real...

For some reason this trip, even though I met a bunch of nice people that I consider new friends, ...has left me very much in a deep "blue" mood...can you understand what I'm trying to say...

I don't think I've ever felt like this before, coming back...I really miss everyone I met this time...

I wish I could be there to really cement these new friendships...

Oh well...enough of that...I can feel my eyes tingling already...

Let me get to the rest of the report and maybe you'll understand better...

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
MQ ...
I understand the Blue mood ... we returned from DR mid-December and I still haven't shaken the Black Funk I experienced when we got home.
You met Rafeal at Riu Bachata! He's such a nice man... I can't wait to see him again, and Michael doing the scuba thing in the pool, and Spaghetti ... he was sooo funny!
I can't wait to go back ... Cris and I took our first Spanish class this evening!

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
:eek:(

MQ,
Sorry again that I missed the get together. I know how you feel though, coming back sucks I need to hit the lottery or something and travel whenever. I'm glad you had a good time.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
TonyC...please refrain from reading the rest of my report...

And don't worry...I don't like EVERYBODY...'cause I sure think I don't like YOU!!!

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Musicqueen,

I have discovered that Tony C is harmless as are many of the loudmouths on the board. They just like to get us all riled up. If you really want to get to him just talk about your kids he hates that. hee hee.

Lina

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Lina...yes, I know he's harmless...but he likes playing tough, so I let him!

Keith&Cris...Rafael, and Junior...and the guys at the front desk...Juan, Payamps, Arturo, Vladimir...everyone! Spaghetti and the rest of the guys are awesome!!!

They had a couple of mishaps while I was there, (they had to fire 3 animation team members) but the rest of the group kept me well entertained!

More later!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Tony C - If you don't like it, don't read it. If you have nothing constrctive to add, don't bother...

debs

Jun 10, 2002
Wonderful pics MQ! Looks like you had a great time. How was Riu Bachata? Maybe I'll stay there next time...well, now I have the Dominican Blues and will have to start planning my next get away.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A nice woman I know says: Why get a man of 50 when you can have two of 25???
Great photos, MQ.....Folks in Sto Dgo look really nice....

HB with a hug...