POP to Samana

paul_holmes

May 13, 2002
Hi there

Can anyone tell me how long it would take to get from The iberostar Costa dorada to samana? Can a trip be made there and back in a day....and which is the best mode of transport?

Are there also any decent tour operators that could go there??

thanks for your help!

Cheers

Paul

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you rent a car it will take you about 3 hours. Same in a taxi. Caribe Tour has a bus to Samana that leaves from Puerto Plata at 7am and gets to Samana about 10:30. It leaves Samana for Puerto Plata at 4:00pm. Threre are tour operators running trips to Samana.

stephane

Mar 16, 2002
3 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!

you need more of 4 hours ( pop to samana)
just did it one month ago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
3.5 hours maybe. Shouldn't take more of that unless, of course, you get lost passing through Nagua.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To answer the question again, it is between 3.5 and 4 hours - but it is a long drive. I would not do it in a day although, you can do it in a day. Depending what you want to do. Drive there, drive back, Yes! Drive there, see something and drive back, No!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chris, I don't want to quibble over a few minutes, but it is not that I am a stranger to the trip. In fact I am going there tomorrow. I go by public bus that picks me up in Sosua at 7am and gets to Samana at 10:15, after making at least a 20 minute rest/food stop along the way, and after dropping people off in Nagua and along the route. I have also ridden in cars to Samana, which gets us there faster. It is a tiring ride, I agree, but so is any 3+ hour ride. I return the same day, because I am going there for a specific purpose (I lived there for 12 years), but if someone wants to do justice to the area, they should go one day and come back the next. To really get acquainted with the Samana Peninsula, you should also go over to Las Terrenas. A 2-day trip permits seeing both sides of the Peninsula.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'll also not quibble over a few minutes - I guess I drive a tad slower than the bus :) Also, the piece from POP to Sosua would take a few extra minutes, even for the bus... I've never taken a bus for this trip, always drove myself. So, cannot say about the bus.

At least we are in full agreement about Las Terrenas. I wonder how long it takes you to get there? It takes me also 3.5 to 4 hours from Cabarete :)

Last edited:

judyisnice

Oct 11, 2002
HELLO ALL,
IS IT STILL A GOOD IDEA TO RENT A CAR THIS TIME OR NOT?

THE GAS PRICES ARE THE LEAST OF THAT TO FACTOR IN...FILLED THE 4X4 HERE JUST LAST NITE....78.6 A LITER.SO I'M ALREADY PAYING $314 PER JUST OVER THE GALLON

THANK GOD IT'S WED.MORNING HERE AND NOT MORE THAN THE DAY TO GET THROUGH BEFOR I'M IN POP AND COFRSI.

TIME TO LET THE WHITE WINE FLOW AND HAVE SOME BEERS TO COOL DOWN

ANYONE IS MORE THAN WELCOME TO HAVE A FEW AND GET TO NOW THESE WHITE FACED CANADAINS.