Getting to Las Terrenas from Santiago

Wamby

Feb 25, 2003
Hi all--going to the DR for the first time in a few weeks. Trying to plot out the itinerary.

I know Santiago is one of the first places I'll be, and I'm thinking getting to what sounds like nice beaches at Las Terrenas. So, is there a fairly direct way to get there from Santiago? If the route goes along the North Coast, how easily can you break up the trip (i.e. hop off in Sousa or Cabarete and spend a day and a night).

also, any thoughts about the need to get out to the Samana Penninsula would be a nice bonus.

thanks for your help!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Las Terrenas is on the Samana Peninsula.

There is one, probably two private buses that run daily (including Sunday) between the city of Samana and Santiago. The one I am most familiar with (run by Transporte Pepe) leaves Samana about 7 in the morning and leaves Santiago about 1 pm. If you took that bus, you would get off in Sanchez and take one of the vehicles that picks up persons going to Las Terrenas. The phone number for the Santiago terminal of the bus is 582-2134/582-5709. There is another bus that leaves Santiago about 7am and Samana about 1 pm, but I don't have any details on it.

Wamby

Feb 25, 2003
thanks Ken. The question about the penninsula, I'm realizing, would be better as a different thread, as it's a totally different question.