DOMINICANS (The people you love to hate)

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
You know I hate to admit that what Larry(ILoveDR) wrote about Dominicans is true not only in DR but also abroad. If I was ever to get into an accident with anyone and I had a choice I would pick Bin Laden before I chosed a Dominican. Dominicans (or most) that live in the U.S are just waiting for any excuse to abuse the system and get ( I should say steal) what doesn't belong to them. You know...this reminds me of a little incident a while back when I was behind this car waiting on a red light and I went to pick something up inside my car and didn't realize I had let go of the breaks. My car bumped his car at about 1 mile an hour and you can only imagine the distance between the two vehicles. Now, there is no sign of any damage to his car and one of my beloved compatriotas gets out and tells me right away that he wants to call the cops to solve the issue. Mind you that there is no way that anyone in either vehicles could have been hurt. Anyway, to make a long story short the guy sued the insurance claiming that his little girl in the car got scratched with a screwed driver. I mean...give me a damn break! I know that what Larry was talking about had to do with lies but it all coincides with the fact that Dominicans will do anything to get a few bucks and that sickens me. I suppose I see that a lot here because most of the Dominicans that leave the country are those whom belong to the lower classes and are more likely to behave in such a way. I'm a Dominican myself and to me is a damn shame to be around such scum!

Now since I don't want to make a long story here is a few of the things Dominicans are willing to do to make or steal a few bucks.

1) Plan accidents and fill the cars with as many people as possible (the more that can sue the better).

2) If your car needs a paint job don't waste your money..just scratch it all up and put in a claim so that your insurance will take care of it.

3) If your car is no longer repairable just make it disappear and claim it was stolen.

4) If you can get on welfare and a job under the table at the same time it's part of the Dominican/American dream.

5) If the original speakers that your vehicle came with are not good enough for you destroy all of them along with anything else inside the car and put in a claim so you can get a better system.

6) If an accident happens right before your eyes don't call 911 run to the scene and ask the driver if you can get inside the vehicle so you can sue(I heard this happened-not sure if it was a dominican though).

7) If the city where you live is charging too much for your insurance change your address to another city where it is cheaper.

And the list goes on and on and on..........and remember that I only focused on vehicles and nothing else.

It's really fu*@#$% shame!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Please don't single out Dominicans, all races and colors pull these scams and many that are much more elaborate.

I wonder how many Dominicans sat on the board of Enron or WorldCom?

arenas809

May 22, 2002
lol...

we are people with issues, and I wouldn't consider our women "tolerable", but ya we're the only people that do bad things, I forgot...thanks for the reminder...

I know some Dominicans that don't even like to socialize with other Dominicans, I see where you and they are coming from, but let's be real for a minute...

all people do wrong, we're all sinners...

Tony Cabrera

Sep 24, 2002
I do not think that got to do with us being catagorized with being
of any race what so ever. the damage was done when you go and see a lawyer(a crook one i might say) and he tell you go in see my very good friend, (doctor so and so). My friend that what
start the ball rolling down hill. Too many crooked lawyer all over
the world.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
All those scams listed above are pertertrated by people of all races and nationalities not just Dominicans. A large % of Dominicans probobly do those things that is true but you have to remember where they are comming from and who they are.
They are from a country where corruption is institutionalised. Name one one Dominican who never bribed somebody or took a "shortcut" through some Gov. paperwork?
Also the vast majority of Dominicans that immigrate to the US do so because they can't hack it in the DR. They see the US as a place to make some easy quick money by using the system. So we are not dealing here with the creme of the crop.
A good example is the Cuban exile community. The first group that came from Cuba after Fidel was primarily made up of the Elite of Cuban society. They came to Miami and turned this town into a thriving major league City from the sleepy tourist town it was.
From the time of the Mariel Boatlift till now, the majority of Cubans(not all) are of a different class and Mindset. They are of the type who have to lie, cheat and steal just survive in Cuba. Why should we expect them to act different when they arive here?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ok, you don't have to shoot me. I think that corruption and scamming schemes are well institutionalized in the U.S. From the early days, just read the history of scammers waiting for the ships with new immigrants to arrive, so that they could scam them out of whatever they managed to bring along.

I don't think this is a Dominican pastime only - I think the U.S. itself has lot to do with it. Something in The System lends itself to dishonesty. I think if it is tolerated, then it will flourish.

Before you shoot, I lived and worked in the U.S. for 12 years and the country and the people were very good to me. The best example of dishonesty I personally came across, was when a sales manager of one of the biggest sofware houses in the world, wanted me to 'influence' a large software sale in their favor and was quite prepared to increase my bank account quite handsomely for this service. A white, anglosaxon, true-blooded American. (He was not Dominican, I'm sure of that!)

I have not found this level of plain corruption in the DR, but then again, I am a short-timer - Hopefully with open eyes. I'm at the moment facing a decision to get something done by 'greasing some palms' or to look elsewhere for the service I need.

Lyers, thieves and crooks are found everywhere. It is up to us as individuals to fall for this, or not to fall for this! I'm reminded of an old saying in our family: "If you play in the pigpen, the hogs will get ya!" Heheh!, so why am I playing here?

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Some of you make it sound like I'm all about attacking all Dominicans but I'm not. If you read my first post carefully you'll notice that I clearly stated that it was some of them and not all. After all I am a Dominican myself. However, the reason for me bringing this whole thing up is because it appears that in the city I live in it's probably 9/10. When I lived in a town where the majority were white it didn't appear to be so. Now, why is it that whenever I bring something up about my own people that's negative everyone gets in line with their guns ready to shoot me? If I post something positive then it's ok. Are we not allowed to look at everything both negative and positive about our people?

PS. I love my people but I have to bring out the bad about them. I think it might help if the negatives are brought to light.

DR_DEFENDER

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
"DR_Defender"....

u mentioned in the beginning of you post the word "some" in parenthesis. The rest of your post is mentioning how Dominicans like to cheat. As already stated, all races have people who scam to get away with things.

It is a shame to hear you talk about how the DR people do this and that. I am Dominican and have never seen half of the things you mentioned. Maybe it's the people who u know that are scam artists. For every Dominican that you see pulling off a scam, you will find another person from another country doing the same.

It is sad to hear you make such ignorant comments. The saddest part is that you say you are Dominican.

Free

Apr 28, 2002
Tony C,

You sound so elist. I'm Cuban-American and I disagree with you. Your words are no different than DR Defender. Most Cubans who left in the 80's, were not crazy or criminals. There were alot that just wanted to leave. I know many who came in the 80's that are now millionaires living in Miami...

Free

nicelifealways

Jan 12, 2003
Anywhere in the world you would have such problems. In the DR (or Dominicans living aboard) it might be slightly more evident due to the disparity in the income distrubutions, GINI index of 48!!

In fact no community, race, religion is spared by corruption. Stock markets have consistently stolen billions from a common investor. Same thing in a polished manner! Insurance, my god, have you seen the movie rainmaker, they are the biggest crooks. Money without any risk! If you bash the car, they would pay you and recover everything from you in the long run. Good business, eh!

In DR combine that with lack of opportunities to grow, lack of education and you have a perfect recipe for what you get. Why do you expect anything else??? Get Real.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
good post nicelifealways!

I have always been amazed at how car insurance companies make so much money. you pay for car insurance in case something happens. and u pay every year. Now I undertsand that they need to make money, but shouldn't they return some of ur money at the end of the year if nothing happens? Lets' say a percentage of what u paid. They keep ur money no matter what and if u get into accicdent, u betta believe ur coverage will go up so they get their money back eventually.

some scams are on a small scale and some on a larger...it's not only Dominicans'

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
cmedina07,

With all due respect I don't think that I'm being ignorant at all and yes I am a Dominican but that doesn't mean that I can't be open about what I see is dead wrong even if it involves my own people. Look, I am aware that evil and wrong doing exists withing all races but what I'm discussing here is a reality. I'm not talking about 1,2 or 3 people....it's a lot more then that. For goodness sake, I even had one person ask me once if I wanted to be involved in a little accident set up so that I could paid. How low is that? A lot of this goes on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of. You talk about how the insurance makes a lot of money and I'm aware of that too but you know why I pay over $200 dollars a month....almost $300 to be exact? Exactly, because I have to pay for all the lying and scams that goes on here. Now, if it was black, white, arabs or whoever I would talk about it. It just so happens that it's Dominicans that are doing it or atleast the majority are doing. What...cause I'm a Dominican I shouldn't speak the truth? I'm proud of some of the positive things that Dominicans are doing like some of the positions in government that some Dominicans are taking here in the U.S. I will talk about that too but don't think that I'm going to sugar-coat some of the wrong doings here by my compatriotas just because I'm one of them. I will not do that!

DR_DEFENDER

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
DR_Defender,

it is happening with every not just Dominicans! you must be hanging out wit a lot of them to say that they are in the majority. I wncourage you to always speak ur mind and be aware that I did not mean to offend you with my comments.

It's just that it is wrong to say that most Dominicans do those things. If you go uptown In the heights and hang out with the tigeres from there all the way to post,nagle , st.nichlas and so forth, maybe thats what u will see.

But if u hang out with respectable Dominican people, u will not see that...that my point.

It's like me saying that most Colombians are drug dealers. How can I say that? Why? because most of the them on Roosevelt Ave in Jackson Heights will sell coke to you or your mother? No man!

The fact is that there are many repsctable Colombian people. The same thing with Domincans... que clase de gente are u associating urself with that u are saying that?

Why dont u send a PM to AZB who lives in Santiago and he will tell u how Dominicans cab be. Some will putt off scams and some wont. Some dont liek pulling off scams but have no choiuce cuz they have no light for two weeks out of the month and still manage to get a 2 thousand peso bill. u get my point?

U are obviously speaking because of who u hang out with. No one in my family or who I assciate with will ever tell me to pull that type of scam. Ask urserlf whya re u even dealing with a person who is tellibng u to dop these things

I do agree with you as far as many Dominicans who are embarassing with how they act. many dominicans truly make me sick with how they are.

I live in Inwood Manhattan west of broadway and it is embarassing to see how most of the Dominicans act. Now they are all pissed because u have to pay 1,100 to 1300 for a one bedroom apt cuz welfare aint gonna cover it.

Dude, I know exactly ur grief and if I was to go by what i see, I would agree with u 110%. The only thing is that I dont asscoaite with none of these idiots so I am not exposed to what u see.

That is why when people criticize Golo or Azb or even Crisco, I dont say shyt cuz I dont wanna associate with these type of people either.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
part 2...

u think it makes me happy tp hear these hicks around my way?

every time I need to go east o broadway to get my haircut its the same shyt.

"he he, mira loco, traime la vaina aqui"..yelling form one side of the street to the other. they hang out in front of the buildings alld ay long..they cannot be up to anything good.

that's why I am glad in a way that they have raised and continue to raise the rent. U think I am happy to see that my tax deductions every year is the equivalent of someons else salary. a decent one too. for what? to have all these dominican girls with 3 kids living on welfare while thier "jodedor" boyfriend is selling drugs...hellz no

the truth is that I dont nor will I ever associated with these losers.

anways, i dont wanna hijack this thread so I will let everyone else give their opinions.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
cmedina07,

I definitely appreciate your reply and let me tell you that I understand where you're coming from. Now, it's not because I associate with these people that I know about all of this. It's things that you hear on the streets, information that you get from the insurance companies that doesn't add up, things you hear at the barber shop and the list goes on and on. Now, don't get me wrong I know that there are a lot of good Dominicans and that's for sure. I apologize if I worded myself wrong it was not meant to cover everyone Dominican on earth. I was reffering to the city where I live which has a large Dominican community. It's sad to see that our reputation is one that's not very honorable. I, just like you get pissed off when I get my a$$ taxed every year while others are living off my taxes when they too should be doing the same as me, working. I get pissed also (as I already mentioned) because I have to pay so much car insurance just because people want to pull all these scams. I have to pay them and that pisses me off! Anyway, I don't want to make this a sob story so I'll ended here. But to make sure I'm understood I want to say that by no means am I reffering to every Dominican because that would be ignorant.

DR_DEFENDER

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
ahhhh, could it be? two people respecting each other's opinion on DR?..lol

Defender, you are absolutely right. I get so pissed when i hear my barber talking about how in the summer time he makes 500 dollars a week and how his girl is at home getting welfare and section 8. An he pays not one penny of taxes.

I have the same point of you that u do, and now that I actually sit back and reflect on ur initial comments, I totally undertand where you are coming from.

I am glad to see there are more that think like me out there as far as this issue goes. Then they ask themselves why white people look at us diffrerently.

thanks for your good comments

Mar 21, 2002
DR DEFENDER you keep that up and I'm going to have your cape revoked by the League of Justice. Who the heck are you going to defend?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Free said:
Tony C,

You sound so elist. I'm Cuban-American and I disagree with you. Your words are no different than DR Defender. Most Cubans who left in the 80's, were not crazy or criminals. There were alot that just wanted to leave. I know many who came in the 80's that are now millionaires living in Miami...

Free

Re-read my post.
I did not say "All" nor did I call them "criminals". I just stated that they are of a different mindset. You know very well that to survive in Cuba today you either have to be a member of the Party or cheat the system.